SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Challenger HC. I bought a pile of parts off of someone I know that had a 2018 HC including his LMI. The air temp sensor is different for our cars so I am curious if anyone else has modded the 2018 style LMI to fit a 2016 essentially widening the opening for the air temp sensor. Looks like LMI also has the sensor propped up and its seems that is just for the screws and for the sensor to sit properly since the intake is convex. I have already demmeled the opening to fit the sensor and drilled/tapped the holes for the screws and I will get a little bit of rubber to make a seal but otherwise its ready to go into the car. Just curious if anyone else has done this before and any issues/comments?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they offer a different mounting plate like JLT does?
Its carbon fiber and molded into the intake. Not really a plate. Also, the hole is round and about 3/4" diameter on 2018 model. The 2016 its roughly 2" wide and rectangular.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here you go. Both holes matched before I widened it. Honestly I dont care if it doesn't work because I didnt really pay very much for it so in the end, I could just buy a new intake but hey, why spend the money if I can make this work. Also, the hole wont look so ugly when its covered by a rubber gasket and the temp sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
867 Posts
I have a 2016 Challenger HC. I bought a pile of parts off of someone I know that had a 2018 HC including his LMI. The air temp sensor is different for our cars so I am curious if anyone else has modded the 2018 style LMI to fit a 2016 essentially widening the opening for the air temp sensor. Looks like LMI also has the sensor propped up and its seems that is just for the screws and for the sensor to sit properly since the intake is convex. I have already demmeled the opening to fit the sensor and drilled/tapped the holes for the screws and I will get a little bit of rubber to make a seal but otherwise its ready to go into the car. Just curious if anyone else has done this before and any issues/comments?
I didn't do it to my car but I've seen it done on the shelby's when they jump to the larger throttle body and run the same intake they have to change the sensor out for a round one not oblong like pictured.

Won't cause any issues unless the seal is super loose, but if you're using a gasket you should be fine. Try to ensure you don't use nut/bolt combo to fix it to the wall, and if you do use lock tight because if the nut on the inside comes off that bolt its gonna go right into your throttle body..

I would use some sort of insert if you can get your hands on a couple, and then a tap for like a 2-56 STI and find a way to affix it without using bolt/nut combo to avoid above comment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't do it to my car but I've seen it done on the shelby's when they jump to the larger throttle body and run the same intake they have to change the sensor out for a round one not oblong like pictured.

Won't cause any issues unless the seal is super loose, but if you're using a gasket you should be fine. Try to ensure you don't use nut/bolt combo to fix it to the wall, and if you do use lock tight because if the nut on the inside comes off that bolt its gonna go right into your throttle body..

I would use some sort of insert if you can get your hands on a couple, and then a tap for like a 2-56 STI and find a way to affix it without using bolt/nut combo to avoid above comment.
Ill take all this into consideration. Definitely not using nut/bolt lol. I was thinking of maybe using some sort of adhesive in conjunction with the gasket just to make sure it doesn't put too much strain on the screws and thin wall of carbon fiber... Ill think about it before I make final connections.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
740 Posts
I wish that I could modify the JLT from my Scat Pack to Hellcat. Sounds like I'll need a couple different parts though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish that I could modify the JLT from my Scat Pack to Hellcat. Sounds like I'll need a couple different parts though.
Can you not make it work somehow? I dont know the ins and outs of it to speak intelligently...

Off topic - has anybody used a BWOODY heat shield to work with the LMI intake?
I just googled pictures and seems easy enough. Remove the rubber seal, Mark where the LMI would sit and dremmel, replace the seal. Theres not much you cant do with a dremmel. TBH I kinda like your idea...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update... I installed the intake yesterday. No codes, air intake temps were a high of 123 degrees and low of about 98-118 depending on how long of a drive before stopping. Im in South Florida where it is mid 80's everyday. Car screams. I dont know that its sucking in pure hot air because the temps didnt really change. now if sitting in one place not moving with the car running then yeah probably but I honestly turn off my car when im sitting. even when its hot and even more so because I dont want that hot air going in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I put a JLT I bought from a fellow forum member on my 2017 HC Challenger. works great. The scream of the SC is as loud as any CAI out there. IAT's are about 20-30* lower than stock at speed according to Uconnect gauges. Typically at idle temps run same or slightly lower than stock and still creep up when stuck in traffic. Ive never seen mine creep past 125-135+- at dead stop in traffic for about 5 min. Once moving it goes down very quickly, much quicker than stock to 69-71

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
716 Posts
I put a JLT on my 2017 I bought from a fellow forum member. works great. The scream of the SC is as load as any CAI out there. Temps are same except when moving where they are about 20-30* lower than stock when moving, at idle temps run lower but they still creep up when stuck in traffic.
Same, I tend to run about 10 degrees above ambient during sustained highway cruising. In traffic, it varies. I too have a JLT.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another thing, I didn't put the shield on and I also didnt turn the intake downward. Instead, the filter sits about a half inch from the heat vent on the hood so Its probably sucking in mostly fresh ambient air. Just hope it doesn't rain while Im out lol. I think I might buy the afe carbon fiber intake. I like the carbon fiber look, quality and less heat transmitting through but mostly because I like the box the filter sits in and the forced air from the head light plumbing. I only have this one because it came with the rest of the parts I bought and I figured I would just throw it in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts