SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking strictly from an ability to hold horsepower, what seems to be the breaking point on these cars? (Non demon/redeye)

Secondly, roughly how much HP can the average Hellcat short block take before it wants to scatter itself across the highway comparison to a Demon or Redeye?

I see countless posts where people state others should go for the redeye for the upgraded internals etc. but I never really see any data or meat and potatoes of it so I’m honestly just curious to learn about it.

All this said is it not fair to say that a person could build a Hellcat motor with aftermarket parts to withstand as much or considerably more than the demon/Hellcat short blocks? Obviously the Demon and RE is fortified a bit running more boost etc. but not nearly what a person would build ground up with aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,469 Posts
Difficult to say due to many variables. It seems the Hellcat block is good until roughly 1000whp before it starts to push the limit. Also, another common failure is when the TCM tune adjust shift points too high. Many people saw more power as the shift points were increased but eventually ended up bending rods when pushed too far. You can raise the shift points some, but these engines were not made to rev to 7k rpms. The Redeye block has slightly stronger internals allowing it rev slightly higher than the Hellcat block.

Reactions: GdBye and LSX

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blkout that’s about what I figured. Fair response. So it’s not so much “get the redeye with its bulletproof drivetrain” it’s the redeye with its increased strength but really just how much we aren’t sure.

I came from the LS world for years and years before this Hellcat so I’m used to Turbo LSX stuff and spinning to the moon so this is a new ballgame I’m learning. I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
857 Posts
It's mostly in the tune. These aren't 80s 5.0 Fords splitting blocks. Excessive RPM is what scatters internals.

And most folks who grenade engines are greedy and stupid.

The stresses of 1000hp means different things when your car weighs 3000, 4000, or 5000lbs.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Difficult to say due to many variables... I but these engines were not made to rev to 7k rpms. The Redeye block has slightly stronger internals allowing it rev slightly higher than the Hellcat block.
The Redeye SHORT BLOCK, meaning block, crank, rods, etc.
The heads will take all the revs you care to throw at them. They are HEMIS, after all. If you want to rev more freely, bring your wallet, but it will allow you to make more hp without increasing torque substantially, and thus avoid having to go with upgrading everything downstream from the engine. With higher RPM, honestly, will come fewer gear changes per quarter mile if that is your thing, because, theoretically if you stretch the redline to 10k RPM, you aren't going to be in top gear at the end of the 1/4.

If revs are your thing, start examining each part and see if it is RATED for those revs. Damper, pulleys, clutch, definitely valve springs, rockers. (some bad designs out there, for certain.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts