SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
618 Posts
I’ll offer up another thought on the 300 treadwear Michelins (and other summer tires in the same category)...

While some of them grip well - i track with a few guys that run them and have some experience myself - where they falloff is in heat cycling.

All tires will lose their effective grip based upon the number of heat cycles they can withstand. The compound on the 300TW tires generally doesn’t take well to repeated heat cycles.... The Cup2 or Tropheos, can go many many more cycles... But you pay for the compound with $$$$ and short tread life (hence the low TW rating). There is no free lunch.

The awesome grip they have when new can be short lived if abused.... And even the “good tires” have guidelines on how they should properly be broken in to be long lasting....

CAVEAT(s).. “long lasting” varies.... it’s up to the buyer to determine how many times they will track their car and in what weather conditions... and what type of cool-down they’ll get.. yada, yada, yada....

“Great grip” varies.... my idea and someone else’s idea of a grippy tire will vary based upon their experience level, how hard they drive, temps, nature of the track, yada yada yada....

FOR ME .... tracking the hellcat, I simply wouldn’t be looking at anything above a 200TW tire... I’d be looking in the “track and competition” section of your favorite retailer. The hellcat is heavy and is hard (temp wise) on tires....

If the user is just doing 1 or 2 HPDE’s a year and out to have fun, IGNORE everything I’ve written.... Its targeted at those who will be driving much closer to the hellcats limits and on a much more frequent basis.

Sorry for long-winded post.

I agree. Really in summary, we get lucky with the Pilot series on the street, and they are pretty good, the new 11" wide wheels really don't open up too many more tire selections than I had with the 9.5" wide 20" wheels to use up on the road track. Toyo, Pirelli, Nitto and this 315 PSS, seem to be it.

Looking at the big Michelin sizes for our aftermarket wheels I see that other than Pirelli, and the Michelin's we are talking about above, not much selection is available.

I would like to hear from the few Demon guys who have mounted up these 20's and hear how it hangs on with some careful roll on power. I have absolutely no doubt the RE will blow the pieces off those 305 PZero's in short order. I will need to take them to the track for a good hard days work, but after that they may serve a good drifting stock for some video's up there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,459 Posts
Totally agree with the above. For track use I'd be at 200 TW or lower. The problem is there aren't any good tires at 200 TW for the WB that I'm aware of. My next choice would be the Pilot Sport Cup 2 that comes in a LOT of sizes. Has great road manners and wears a good while with good grip. Below that on WB size availability I'd look at the Pirelli Corsa System and Trofeo tires. They also have a lot of good sizes, stick very well and have almost no road noise. The R888R sticks well but has truck level road noise and to me is likely not worth the tradeoff if I ever planned on using them for any street duty.
Regarding sizing Wesley has 355 on all 4s with 12in wheels. That would be my target but I'd stick with 20in wheels to avoid switching to the Viper caliper.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,459 Posts
Just read the concerns about rain. The tire I ran for 2 seasons is the Pirelli Corsa System in 295/35. It has a street tire tread pattern and yet never chunked or wore abnormally in any way. In big tire sizes I'd strongly consider that tire if you want flexibility in the wet.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Will anyone ever make a 355 in a 20 inch rims size?

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very nice! Thank You, What size tire did you go with in the front. I'd be interested in knowing if 315/35 would fit on the stock 20 X 11 wh
Very nice! Thank You, What size tire did you go with in the front. I'd be interested in knowing if 315/35 would fit on the stock 20 X 11 wheels.
By the way your car is beautiful! Where did you get the small spoiler that's above the rear window?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
18 Posts
Tires I have done

305/35/20 all aroudn
315/35/20 all around
305/35/20 front and 325/30/20 rear
305/35/20 front and 335/30/20 rear
305/35/20 front and 345/30/20 rear
315/30/20 front with varying rear sizing

varying brands

Toyo R888R
Pirelli P Zero Tires
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Is this on wide body applications or narrow body as well?

I am looking to do a tire on a 305/35 square setup on a 10" wheel on a narrow body.... any suggestions ? in favor or against

21 - 34 of 34 Posts