SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Let's discuss Widebody Street Wheel & Tire sizes

29K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Anthony_Swank 
#1 ·
Folks, after being a pioneer on the narrow body wheel and tire sizes and types, I want to make sure I have the right choice made before I purchase my wheel and tires for my upcoming Redeye WB. I hope some of you Demon owners who have changed to 20" tell us how the big tires and wheels are working. My story is that we shall set aside the 11" wheels, those are going to be used for road racing and we shall have a thread for that over in that section, if TrackDay has not already advised me on that solution.

I am blessed to be able to order the wheels in any width that will work. I know my builder has the formula, as we have seen his great work here. I am thinking 11.5" or 12" wide up front. Maybe keep 11"? I won't need to road race on the street, I never drive in the wet on purpose. But, if we are on a trip and get caught I need to be able to trust it.

On the back, I think we can do 13" wide? That is what he said, anyway. Worth it? Does 12" or 12.5" work? I don't want the rubber to extend beyond the outside of the fake fender flairs when we look from the top anyway. I am getting wrap protection on the fake flair and behind them. I know, get the largest I can. Let me know what you think.

Alright I bet we can talk rubber. Go ahead give me your best commentary.

1. Don't want drag radials. I'll burn them in 1000 miles or less (even if I don't burn them, I must let it rip, because my rear street tire history is incredibly long), they won't work in the rain. Not worth changing tires every few weeks to me.
3. I hate the gap between the tires and the body. But, this new car will not be lowered. I am not satisfied we found an axle boot solution on our high speed track with a lowered unit. This car will need to go to the track often! Those PZero 305/35's are 28.4" high. Tires shorter are going to hurt my eyes.
2. The widest tires seem to be made by Michelin. Okay, after trying drag radials, Pirelli and Nitto tires, I liked the 295/35 PS4S on a 10.5" wheel on my narrow body. I got its 0-60 within a 305 drag radial time. So my rear solution is the 345/30-20 PS4S on the widest rear wheel my friend in OC can make me. What else? I know some of you Demon guys have tried this size and even some Widebody's, how do they hook? I know it is 28.2" tall close enough.
3. The front was tricky. I believe a big wide front is not needed and could be problematic. My eyes settled on a rare find! The Pilot Super Sport come in a 315/35! 28.7" high, good in the wet if necessary, not to wide, bigger than the stockers, good ride, dependable and good wearing. Thread/tire matches fairly well with the rears.

Okay, let me have it. Let's have a big Widebody idea sharing contest!

See less See more
#4 ·
Tires I have done

305/35/20 all aroudn
315/35/20 all around
305/35/20 front and 325/30/20 rear
305/35/20 front and 335/30/20 rear
305/35/20 front and 345/30/20 rear
315/30/20 front with varying rear sizing

varying brands

Toyo R888R
Pirelli P Zero Tires
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Continental Extreme Contact Sport

#7 ·
From what I've researched I'm either going with the PS4S in 345/30 or the PZero in 325/35 (specs say nearly 1 inch taller than the PS4S if I recall right) for the rears. If I go with the 345/30 I will get Biz to make the rears in 13 inch. Maybe in the future someone will make a 345/35/20? That would be the ideal size for the widebody street tire I think. I have 17x11 Bogarts (beadlocks) and 315/50/17 MT's for traction. The pics with them on the Demon I've seen the look real good and fill that gap up nicely.

#8 ·
Thanks shadowsk. Surprised we are not getting more discussion. The big 345/30 seems like a nice choice in back. I also wish for more 35 series in the width's above 305. I agree on a 12.5" or 13" back there if he can show me it won't stick out, AND I do not want any rubbing EVER on the inside. I am going with the PS4S because I like the way it's smaller size sister (295/35 on 10.5") worked on my narrow body. I figure with 2 to 2.5" more wheel width it should work pretty well with a measly extra 90 hp.

The Michelin seems to grab better than either a PZero or a NT05 which I previously tried. The 305/35 is mentioned as a front but I really want the tires to somewhat match. The problem is they don't make that size in any of the Pilot series. I like the Pilot SS because the 315/35 is there, it has decent wet performance, and its thread/brand/type is close to the PS4S. The PS Cup 2 does not seem to be rated as well in the wet, nor does it come in a 315/35. I remember last year we had a rain day at the track with the Vette club, who had a lot of Cup 2's mounted. Not even one of them was thinking of trying a Vette on the track! I must say, I did not lead with the HC as we all just got tired of watching it rain and finally called it a day.

For anyone else who likes the Pilot Sport in the 315/35-20", pay attention. One model has 7/32" thread and one has 10/32" thread.

#11 ·
I like it. Before I order up the 345’s I do want to make sure my wheel is big enough, otherwise the 335 will work. The only difference that I am looking at is the height. Even if a fraction of an inch, I hate that gap.

I like them, but I worry that they don’t tolerate the wet if I get stuck for my street slippers. If I win the lottery, Cup 2 will make a good track tire also. It really is a different world of rubber with the large wheels, instead of the little 9.5-10.5” narrow body world.

#13 ·
We have a Redeye setup we are producing right now with Forgeline Wheels

20x11 front
20x12 rear
18x12 Rear for drag

Fronts 305/35/20 and rears 345/30/20 MPS4S tires

Its going to be pretty sweet !

#14 ·
So what’s the widest you can put on the stock 11 inch wheels. I happen to really like the Devils wheels. I’d love to do a 315 up front and 335-345 rear. I Assume that’s to wide for 11 inch? I love the pilot super sports. 345 I bet would grip like a DR on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Anything bigger than 315 on an 11 inch wheel is wasteful--it will wrap and you won't utilize all the available tread width anyways. No different than guys squeezing a 305 onto the 9.5 stock wheels--easily an inch of tread never gets used.
However, some brands/models run narrow, so it might be that some 325s are about as wide as other 315s. You'll have to check the specs.

#16 ·
If you are interested in PS4S in 315/35, Michelin has told me they will be released in that size in Feb (of course this is the 3rd time they have shifted the date to the right), but it is coming out. Before this discussion I had planned on putting 315s all the way around on the stock wheels. Now I may move to 12" or 13" in the back to get some more rubber on the ground in the rear.

Reactions: DGatzby
#17 ·
^that is some good info. Hope they come through this time. I am glad I did not order my tires yesterday with a Black Friday deal! That little voice kept saying, no, save the cash, just wait until you finally figure out the wheels and the car at least goes to D1.

I really liked the PS4S tires on my '15. Used them at the street and road track. Everyone praises their overall capture of what is good about the previous Pilot series plus good wet performance. That is important and that is the perfect size IMO for staggering a WB with the steam rollers out back.

The car above with the 315's looks great. Velgen Wheels do you have those pictures labeled backwards? The bottom car really looks like it has wider tires. AND, it looks great!

#18 ·
I like them, but I worry that they don’t tolerate the wet if I get stuck for my street slippers. If I win the lottery, Cup 2 will make a good track tire also. It really is a different world of rubber with the large wheels, instead of the little 9.5-10.5” narrow body world.
Currently daily driving the Cup2 on my Corvette. Just about to take them off however for the winter season as they are not rated for near freezing temps (As most of the tires you'll be looking at are likely rated the same).

So far no problem in the rain, but commute is short and live rural. So I can drive as cautiously as I like, or as azzhole-ish as I like.

The real problem is the 20" rim. Tire choices in sticky tires is very very slim.

On my Vette I switched to 19" all the way around all 4 corners.

#19 ·
I agree. Really in summary, we get lucky with the Pilot series on the street, and they are pretty good, the new 11" wide wheels really don't open up too many more tire selections than I had with the 9.5" wide 20" wheels to use up on the road track. Toyo, Pirelli, Nitto and this 315 PSS, seem to be it.

Looking at the big Michelin sizes for our aftermarket wheels I see that other than Pirelli, and the Michelin's we are talking about above, not much selection is available.

I would like to hear from the few Demon guys who have mounted up these 20's and hear how it hangs on with some careful roll on power. I have absolutely no doubt the RE will blow the pieces off those 305 PZero's in short order. I will need to take them to the track for a good hard days work, but after that they may serve a good drifting stock for some video's up there :rolleyes:

#21 · (Edited)
I’ll offer up another thought on the 300 treadwear Michelins (and other summer tires in the same category)...

While some of them grip well - i track with a few guys that run them and have some experience myself - where they falloff is in heat cycling.

All tires will lose their effective grip based upon the number of heat cycles they can withstand. The compound on the 300TW tires generally doesn’t take well to repeated heat cycles.... The Cup2 or Tropheos, can go many many more cycles... But you pay for the compound with $$$$ and short tread life (hence the low TW rating). There is no free lunch.

The awesome grip they have when new can be short lived if abused.... And even the “good tires” have guidelines on how they should properly be broken in to be long lasting....

CAVEAT(s).. “long lasting” varies.... it’s up to the buyer to determine how many times they will track their car and in what weather conditions... and what type of cool-down they’ll get.. yada, yada, yada....

“Great grip” varies.... my idea and someone else’s idea of a grippy tire will vary based upon their experience level, how hard they drive, temps, nature of the track, yada yada yada....

FOR ME .... tracking the hellcat, I simply wouldn’t be looking at anything above a 200TW tire... I’d be looking in the “track and competition” section of your favorite retailer. The hellcat is heavy and is hard (temp wise) on tires....

If the user is just doing 1 or 2 HPDE’s a year and out to have fun, IGNORE everything I’ve written.... Its targeted at those who will be driving much closer to the hellcats limits and on a much more frequent basis.

Sorry for long-winded post.

#20 ·
^that is some good info. Hope they come through this time. I am glad I did not order my tires yesterday with a Black Friday deal! That little voice kept saying, no, save the cash, just wait until you finally figure out the wheels and the car at least goes to D1.

I really liked the PS4S tires on my '15. Used them at the street and road track. Everyone praises their overall capture of what is good about the previous Pilot series plus good wet performance. That is important and that is the perfect size IMO for staggering a WB with the steam rollers out back.

The car above with the 315's looks great. Velgen Wheels do you have those pictures labeled backwards? The bottom car really looks like it has wider tires. AND, it looks great!
The bottom car has continental tires, they run chunkier then the Nitto NT555g2

#22 ·
Totally agree with the above. For track use I'd be at 200 TW or lower. The problem is there aren't any good tires at 200 TW for the WB that I'm aware of. My next choice would be the Pilot Sport Cup 2 that comes in a LOT of sizes. Has great road manners and wears a good while with good grip. Below that on WB size availability I'd look at the Pirelli Corsa System and Trofeo tires. They also have a lot of good sizes, stick very well and have almost no road noise. The R888R sticks well but has truck level road noise and to me is likely not worth the tradeoff if I ever planned on using them for any street duty.
Regarding sizing Wesley has 355 on all 4s with 12in wheels. That would be my target but I'd stick with 20in wheels to avoid switching to the Viper caliper.

#23 ·
Just read the concerns about rain. The tire I ran for 2 seasons is the Pirelli Corsa System in 295/35. It has a street tire tread pattern and yet never chunked or wore abnormally in any way. In big tire sizes I'd strongly consider that tire if you want flexibility in the wet.

#24 ·
Will anyone ever make a 355 in a 20 inch rims size?

Reactions: Farm_use
#41 ·
Hey guys! I have a 2019 ScatPack widebody that is getting built right now. We will be at 900-1000whp. It will be more of a street car with occasional drives out to the track. I’m having a hard time deciding on tires or if I’ll need different rims etc... I see quite a few guys running 17s in the rear with street radials. Does anyone here recommend a good setup with 900-1000whp? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.