SRT Hellcat Forum banner
38K views 211 replies 33 participants last post by  Himmelkat 
#1 · (Edited)
Just going to leave this here :)

Auto part

A lot of you guys and gals know that we have been working on some serious race grade upgrades for the HC platform. LaserDoc has commissioned us to help build something wild for him for half mile and mile racing events and we're not holding anything back on this one. Things just got serious with our new Demon/PPG sequential 6spd conversion that just arrived! We're going to get started on this trans transformation here very soon and we look forward to crushing the competition in conjunction with the snails and new rear!

We're not just trying to win in our own weight class anymore(heavyweight). We're aiming to chase down the big guns with BadKitty!

See less See more
#2 ·
"Commissioned" ??? normally implies "paid us" to help build. So, lets say LaserDoc ends up cleaning the clock on his competition how long do you have to wait until you can offer this package to anyone else? Or in other words, how long will LaserDoc be protected from his competition doing the same mod?

Looks like some serious hardware. I would think that strengthening the frame would be required as Horse Power climbs. Other than strut towers, haven't seen much on the frame issue.

Cheers.

#3 ·
"Commissioned" ??? normally implies "paid us" to help build. So, lets say LaserDoc ends up cleaning the clock on his competition how long do you have to wait until you can offer this package to anyone else? Or in other words, how long will LaserDoc be protected from his competition doing the same mod?

Looks like some serious hardware. I would think that strengthening the frame would be required as Horse Power climbs. Other than strut towers, haven't seen much on the frame issue.

Cheers.

This package isn't exclusive to just his build. It's for the entire HC community really. You can be his competition if you'd like. His build is just the starting point for this application and several other things we've been developing for the HC platform. There's a lot of R&D involved for this to work and we're doing our very best to make this as seemless as possible for you guys. Commissioned us, yes. You'd be surprised what we do for our customers for development, growth and opportunity. He also races for a cause. We respect that and do what we can for BadKitty.

This vehicle will also be getting a roll cage as well as some laundry out back for high mph help. ;)

#5 ·
Just going to leave this here :)

View attachment 66289

A lot of you guys and gals know that we have been working on some serious race grade upgrades for the HC platform. LaserDoc has commissioned us to help build something wild for him for half mile and mile racing events and we're not holding anything back on this one. Things just got serious with our new Demon/PPG sequential 6spd conversion that just arrived! We're going to get started on this trans transformation here very soon and we look forward to crushing the competition in conjunction with the snails and new rear!

We're not just trying to win in our own weight class anymore(heavyweight). We're aiming to chase down the big guns with BadKitty!
Is that a Rock Crusher M22 trans, lol?

#7 ·
Matt, this setup will be good for well beyond the power we're trying to achieve with it. We have seen some viper applications making close to 2000hp on the PPG/Tremec sequential kits with great success. A lot of the transmissions stability will rely on how well it's put together too. We'll have to do some tuning around the shifts but I think we have that figured out by way of some custom electronics.

#11 ·
We haven't put together a number just yet for this. The kit runs about 15k landed, then there's about 3k in machining and assembly or so to your stock case to adapt it all in there properly. Then there's the electronics side of it..

So to clarify what we are looking at... is this like a vertical gate shifter for a 6 speed Tremec with upgraded gear sets to handle up to 2000HP?
I guess you can say that it's close to that. A gate shifter is a bit different than this shifter. Once this shifter is set up you don't have to work to shift, you can do it with an easy finger pull wheras the gate needs some hard pulling.

This gear set is a PPG sequential kit that is used in a lot of racing applications today. The Tremec PPG sets are used in the Clavo Vipers that run 200+ in the half mile and well beyond that in the full mile races as well as other Tremec applications. They'll handle about 25% more than we're planning on making with LaserDoc's kitty when we're through with it. The main reason behind this set isn't to handle the power but more for speedy shifts. I'm sure the stock gear box will handle beyond 1000hp for some time before you see signs of wear on certain areas.

#10 ·
So to clarify what we are looking at... is this like a vertical gate shifter for a 6 speed Tremec with upgraded gear sets to handle up to 2000HP?

Reactions: MABBRYFL30
#14 ·
#17 · (Edited)
Bandit, you really think the stock A8 form the factory will outshift a PPG sequential 6060 gear box?

The fastest mile and half mile cars in the world are equipped with PPG sequential setups. Lambo, Audi R8, GTR, Porsche, GM, you name it. The fastest street style 1500+ Hp GTRs in the world are also PPG equipped. Not only are they used in this type of racing but road course teams around the world use these types of gearing systems.

I'm not trying to get into any pissing matches about this one but there's a reason why these sequential kits are used in all of the top tier road course/rally racing applications.

#19 ·
Bandit, you really think the stock A8 form the factory will outshift a PPG sequential 6060 gear box?

The fastest mile and half mile cars in the world are equipped with PPG sequential setups. Lambo, Audi R8, GTR, Porsche, GM, you name it. The fastest street style 15000+ Hp GTRs in the world are also PPG equipped. Not only are they used in this type of racing but road course teams around the world use these types of gearing systems.

I'm not trying to get into any pissing matches about this one but there's a reason why these sequential kits are used in all of the top tier road course/rally racing applications.

I haven't had one, so I don't have that experience. This would be a great opportunity for you to educate us.

I don't see how you can get quicker than "instantaneous", but I'm open to hearing about it and learning more.

#18 ·
Haven't seen an A8 handle shifts over 1,000hp yet. At 900 they get finicky.

Are the shifts going to be ignition cut shifts? Seems like the practical way.
Exactly, I'd like to see how one of these stock A8 equipped cars do with our TT kits once it's in play. I can imagine it crumbling in no time at all. We're working on something new for the A8 ZF boxes as well.

We'll be incorporating some fancy electronics for wide open shifting capability with the sequential setup.

#26 ·
I think this mod isn't for the average Joe. But, if you got the coin and want that extra edge... go for it.
It's not, it's purpose built.

20k to out shift a A8?
I think you may have over looked the build this setup is going into. We're not doing this to out shift an A8, we could have done that with a drag racing unit if that was the case lol. We're doing this to out shift most of the world and our competition at the track.

#29 ·
Is this package an "all or nothing" type of deal, or is there a sub-set of it that might not be $$$diamond-encrusted$$$ ?

Also, like Bandit , for those of us who didn't grow up on a drag strip, overview the benefits and characteristics of this setup, why we want it, how it works etc.

I have an idea, even a good one, but it'd be nice to have it explained clearly so we're not assuming...

;)

#34 ·
Bull, this trans is going in a purpose built 1/2 Mile Hellcat runner. There are several aspects to this trans, relative to my build. The first being, that I am building the fastest 1/2 Mile Hellcat possible. All top-shelf components, from the engine and driveline, need to be utilized to survive this power level. The factory Tremec or A8 would be toast. Demon Performance is not trying to sell a 15k trans to the masses. They are showing what's possible if someone has an extreme goal, such as mine.
The shift times are around 50ms or less. Compounded with not having to lift and clutch, this set up is unbeatable for speed and the ability to hold 2k plus HP.
Bad Kitty is being used to raise money for the Jeff Musser Foundation so I wanted the most exposure possible. The most exposure will come from kicking ass!
Granted, it is a heavy platform. However, it is unique compared to Mustangs and Vettes, which are like mosquitoes at these events.

#30 ·
Sequential means, it's going to shift like a motorcycle.
1st
N
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

You'll have a clutch pedal, but, because of the electronics cutting power, all you do is pull back to the next gear.

Watch some of the Gymkhana videos to see some sequential gear box action.

Reactions: 2fast4u
#31 ·
BULL, this package that we're developing for Doc is more of an all in type deal. Unfortunately when it comes to PPG there is no middle of the road for sequential setups. They're all pricey when done right. There may be some variants out there along the way and there are most certainly less expensive brands out there compared to PPG that have sequential kits, they have their flaws however.

It would take me ages to explain the benefits of this type of setup over a manually shifted operation but here's some good data for you guys to read over.

How Sequential Gearboxes Work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.