SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Charger Hellcat and I am the original owner which now has 46k miles. I also was a GM and Subaru mechanic for 20 year but do something else now. Never go to dealer for oil changes due to price and time to get in. Always had Valvoline do the changes and they put in Mobile 1 at my request like I have used in every performance car I have owned.

The issue is my powertrain warranty is up in a week and for last month I heard a lifter rattle on 2 different cold start ups and never heard anything before. Again, Valvoline has always done the oil changes and never had any issues with noise until a month ago and last oil change was 8 months and 4k ago. So, I take it to the dealer and they say they heard the noise (which I was surprised by because it did it only twice in last month) but they said it was due to aftermarket oil filter. I told the service writer that it is strange that 45k miles and never an issue but now. He went a talked to tech and came back and said filter is putting air into lifters.......yeah, ok.

Anyway, has anyone had any issues using aftermarket oil filters? Does anoyone know of anything special the SRT filter does that any other filters wouldn't? Any other ideas? (other than the obvious of use an SRT filter which I will do, and if it does it again which I fully expect it to I will take back)

Thanks in advance
Rob

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
I have a 2017 Charger Hellcat and I am the original owner which now has 46k miles. I also was a GM and Subaru mechanic for 20 year but do something else now. Never go to dealer for oil changes due to price and time to get in. Always had Valvoline do the changes and they put in Mobile 1 at my request like I have used in every performance car I have owned.

The issue is my powertrain warranty is up in a week and for last month I heard a lifter rattle on 2 different cold start ups and never heard anything before. Again, Valvoline has always done the oil changes and never had any issues with noise until a month ago and last oil change was 8 months and 4k ago. So, I take it to the dealer and they say they heard the noise (which I was surprised by because it did it only twice in last month) but they said it was due to aftermarket oil filter. I told the service writer that it is strange that 45k miles and never an issue but now. He went a talked to tech and came back and said filter is putting air into lifters.......yeah, ok.

Anyway, has anyone had any issues using aftermarket oil filters? Does anoyone know of anything special the SRT filter does that any other filters wouldn't? Any other ideas? (other than the obvious of use an SRT filter which I will do, and if it does it again which I fully expect it to I will take back)

Thanks in advance
Rob
Might be a bad or missing anti-drain back valve in the Mobile 1 oil filter. Not impossible. Step 1 is replace the filter to check this box.

What Mobile 1 Viscosity did Valvoline install? What was the MIL Spec Rating?? The only Mobile 1 with the correct MIL Spec Rating is the European Blend 0-40W; nothing Domestic.

Am not knocking Mobile 1. I used it when it came out in all my cars and it is great.

Might go back to a MOPAR Black 899 Filter and Pennzoil 0-40W Synthetic Oil just as a check.

You might consider an Extended Warranty as well.

Let us know...

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is Mobile 0-40 and that I'm sure of because I take the oil. And I am not going to rule out bad check valve (not Mobile 1 filter, just an in house brand that Valvoline uses) but it has to have a check valve because there is 3500 miles on this oil change and not any noise until just recently.

I appreciate the advise and I promise I am not being a jerk by saying this so please don't take it that way as I always enjoy a good discussion and have been wrong many times, but oil filters are not rocket science and oil is oil when it is the same weight as recommended by manufacturer maybe a couple slightly different additives but that would be the only difference. Like I mentioned, I have used whatever Valvoline puts on oil filter wise begining with the first oil change, so I would think their filter is adequate, maybe a failure with this one.....

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
It is Mobile 0-40 and that I'm sure of because I take the oil. And I am not going to rule out bad check valve (not Mobile 1 filter, just an in house brand that Valvoline uses) but it has to have a check valve because there is 3500 miles on this oil change and not any noise until just recently.

I appreciate the advise and I promise I am not being a jerk by saying this so please don't take it that way as I always enjoy a good discussion and have been wrong many times, but oil filters are not rocket science and oil is oil when it is the same weight as recommended by manufacturer maybe a couple slightly different additives but that would be the only difference. Like I mentioned, I have used whatever Valvoline puts on oil filter wise begining with the first oil change, so I would think their filter is adequate, maybe a failure with this one.....
Yeah, would lean toward a defective filter drain back valve this time since it started after the oil change...

Again, I like Mobile 1 save the MIL Spec Dodge approves for our HCs. This prevents Dodge from trying to void engine warranties. Not saying that is right or will happen, but I always try to take potential issues out of play.

You know, there are many YouTube Videos comparing filters. You might review them to see where Valvoline compares.

Personally, I stick with the Black 899s and Pennzoil 0-40W PUP.

Best!

· Registered
2022 Jailbreak
852 Posts
Yeah, would lean toward a defective filter drain back valve this time since it started after the oil change...

Again, I like Mobile 1 save the MIL Spec Dodge approves for our HCs. This prevents Dodge from trying to void engine warranties. Not saying that is right or will happen, but I always try to take potential issues out of play.

You know, there are many YouTube Videos comparing filters. You might review them to see where Valvoline compares.

Personally, I stick with the Black 899s and Pennzoil 0-40W PUP.

Best!
i agree with blickie on this. change back to srt filter and pennzoil 0-40 and see if ticking settles down. it’s what dodge recommends and don’t want to be caught with my pants down when it comes to warranty
good luck sir

· Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
4,039 Posts
I would try just another filter first. Oil AND filter seem like a lot at this point. When I got my car they had the 5.7 Hemi filter on it, and I had no issues at all. I was at 40K also.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9,287 Posts

Thanks in advance
Rob
A couple things, first you say your last oil change was 8 months ago. Dodge says to change your oil minimum every 6 months so not not sure what the rest of your service intervals look like but they will deny warranty for ignoring the 6 month rule.

And second, Mobil (no E) 1 does not have an oil that meets MS-12633 that Dodge says to use, so you're using an unapproved oil. The filter should be OK since your are allowed to use suitable aftermarket replacement parts (Magnuson Moss) but the wrong oil might be an issue.

I assume you have service records for all these changes so just have to see how it works out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody (destroyer grey)
637 Posts
Could have been a cheap filter being used all these years and now the repercussions are emerging. A high quality oil filter is key for sure. Something like WIX if not the OEM. I've seen too many engines die over the years from people using junk filters, namely Fram in most cases I've seen and heard about.

Reactions: GR8YTE

· Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody (destroyer grey)
637 Posts
I would tend to agree on the drain back valve. I too was a wrench at a dealership for years and have seen certain brand oil filters are better at controlling noisy cold startups. This suggestion seems to make the most sense. Good luck with your research! (y)
I'm not buying that it's a drain back valve in the oil filter. These filters are not installed upside down, nor sideways, so a check valve doesn't seem like it could be an issue when the oil will stay full in the filter at all times. The issue is probably caused by a cheap oil filter being used and not filtering properly, along with losing particles into the engine from the media..

· Registered
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
1,245 Posts
I'm not buying that it's a drain back valve in the oil filter. These filters are not installed upside down, nor sideways, so a check valve doesn't seem like it could be an issue when the oil will stay full in the filter at all times. The issue is probably caused by a cheap oil filter being used and not filtering properly, along with losing particles into the engine from the media..
This and the wrong oil with the incorrect additives.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the good advice from some giving me, others not so much, but you will get that. I know some mentioned using the 899 filter but what about the SRT 5038041AA filter? If you are talking about the best, isnt this even better than the 899? What are thoughts on this.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
227 Posts
As others have said try the OEM stuff and see if that helps. As far as the warranty is concerned I hope it isnt a lifter problem or worse because at this point i highly doubt Dodge will cover anything warranty relaed. You went beyond the specified time for oil changes and they documented aftermarket oil changes w filter.

· Banned
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,421 Posts
But seriously, couple things:

1. People go crazy for the STR filter, but I can't find anywhere Dodge is specifying the SRT 041 for the HC. I stick with the 899.

2. Ya, the Pen UP0-40 every 6mo is a PITA, but $100/yr in oil and $15/yr in filters, to maintain the warranty on a $20k engine, ok.

3. Nobody is asking the OP about his driving habits? Does he race? Does he like to do burnouts when the engine is cold? Did he do a gentle break-in?

Lots of things can cause noisy lifters. The best we can do is treat our cars well and maintain the warranty. Maybe the OP should put in some STP (do they still make that?) and sell it. He can maybe still order a 22 if he doesn't wait.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.