SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SRT SUPER STOCK HELLRAISIN
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been having problems using the Line lock. I tried and tried to get it added into my Race routine and I thought I had it licked and then it was STILL jacking me up. So I gave up on it. Then I recently was shooting another email to the SRT Demon Engineers about the Race Cool Down and I bitched about this again. Then I read the Demon Q&A's on the Dodge Garage site. Then the light bulb came on ! So they confirmed my suspicions and I verified it last night. So........The Line Lock is "on" again. I will start using it again. Keep in mind I am not the only one having this problem and once you read the following you will find out that some people will have issues and others seemingly will not.

What is happening is the Line Lock system is "cancelling" on me. What you don’t realize is that the car is "LIMPING" just like the Trans Brake Limp. When the Line Lock system cancels they are not just going to let you fly down the road if you are in the middle of doing a burnout. They bog the motor down and bring you to a level that is manageable. At that point you have to reset and start over.

2 Things will cause this.
#1, if you try to start the burnout and you are rushing may cause this. I was told the ABS controller will not get hurt if you set the line lock and you have to wait several seconds before they give you the signal to start your burnout, so don't set the line lock and then immediately try to burn out. The reason is, the BRAKE PEDAL must be at the very top of it's travel. And, it takes a little while for the Pedal to come all the way up. So you cannot sit there with your foot on the brake pedal and then go right from the brake pedal to the gas pedal and try to burn out. Set the line lock and then get off the brake pedal right away and wait.

#2 is if you even breathe on that brake pedal during your burnout then it's Game Over. The system will cancel. This is my Problem mainly. I am a "two footer", since I grew up with funky old Carburetors. So I many times will be covering the brake pedal with my left foot and if I happened to touch the brake pedal even just a little then it would bog me down. I tested this last night. I put my left foot on the "dead Pedal" and then I got my burnout going and once I was burning good enough to run I just barely tapped the brake pedal. Bogged right down and I got a warning in the DIC that the ""Line Lock system is canceled"".

So, NOW I do not rush any more when setting the Line Lock and I KEEP my left foot on the Dead Pedal at the left when doing Burnouts using the Line Lock. It works perfectly every time now.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
264 Posts
I have been having problems using the Line lock. I tried and tried to get it added into my Race routine and I thought I had it licked and then it was STILL jacking me up. So I gave up on it. Then I recently was shooting another email to the SRT Demon Engineers about the Race Cool Down and I bitched about this again. Then I read the Demon Q&A's on the Dodge Garage site. Then the light bulb came on ! So they confirmed my suspicions and I verified it last night. So........The Line Lock is "on" again. I will start using it again. Keep in mind I am not the only one having this problem and once you read the following you will find out that some people will have issues and others seemingly will not.

What is happening is the Line Lock system is "cancelling" on me. What you don’t realize is that the car is "LIMPING" just like the Trans Brake Limp. When the Line Lock system cancels they are not just going to let you fly down the road if you are in the middle of doing a burnout. They bog the motor down and bring you to a level that is manageable. At that point you have to reset and start over.

#1, if you try to start the burnout and you are rushing may cause this. I was told the ABS controller will not get hurt if you set the line lock and you have to wait several seconds before they give you the signal to start your burnout, so don't set the line lock and then immediately try to burn out. The reason is, the BRAKE PEDAL must be at the very top of it's travel. And, it takes a little while for the Pedal to come all the way up. So you cannot sit there with your foot on the brake pedal and then go right from the brake pedal to the gas pedal and try to burn out. Set the line lock and then get off the brake pedal right away and wait.

#2 is if you even breathe on that brake pedal during your burnout then it's Game Over. The system will cancel. This is my Problem mainly. I am a "two footer", since I grew up with funky old Carburetors. So I many times will be covering the brake pedal with my left foot and if I happened to touch the brake pedal even just a little then it would bog me down. I tested this last night. I put my left foot on the "dead Pedal" and then I got my burnout going and once I was burning good enough to run I just barely tapped the brake pedal. Bogged right down and I got a warning in the DIC that the ""Line Lock system is canceled"".

So, NOW I do not rush any more when setting the Line Lock and I KEEP my left foot on the Dead Pedal at the left when doing Burnouts using the Line Lock. It works perfectly every time now.
Thanks for always sharing your knowledge with us.

Ken

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for always sharing your knowledge with us.

Ken
You are welcome. I actually asked the Engineers if there was a troubleshooting guide for the Dealership Tech to check my car out. I thought there was something wrong with it. But aparently there were times where I would just go from the brake pedal right to the gas before the pedal relaxed all the way and other times randomly I would lightly press on that brake pedal during my burnout. I guess I was so used to power braking the old fasioned way. OLD Dogs CAN learn new tricks. I proved it. And MOST importantly, there is nothing wrong with my Demon. Works exactly as designed.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
2,700 Posts
Thanks for the info Ron! I’m learning from your mistakes!

Reactions: GOMER

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
420 Posts
Excellent insight, Ron. Of course, all of us have come to expect that from you. Thanks!!

Reactions: GOMER and dragrcr

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent insight, Ron. Of course, all of us have come to expect that from you. Thanks!!
I think it is interesting how they programmed things in the car and they taught themselves how to drive and use these features. But when they get in the hands of long time Drag Racers that were not brought up using their procedures then there are problems. In this case you have to ask yourself do they really need the brake pedal to cancel the system? Seriously. I doubt it.

And with the Race After Cooldown system they really blew it. Because the system is looking at the ASD relay for it's final permissive and it does not latch. So for it to EVER run, it needs to see the demand for cooling AND see the engine shutdown. Well, DUH! When you are at the Race Track you are running around in DRAG MODE and the chiller is EASILY keeping your Temp below the threshold for cooling demand. So, it will never turn on because when you shut the engine off the inlet temp is super cool already. Huge mistake on their thinking and programming that they are eventually going to fix. Also the system auto disables at quarter mile tracks and it is not supposed to do that. It is only supposed to do that if you drive normal for an extended period of time. Like if you forgot to disable it and you are now on your way home from the track driving on the freeway etc. Interestingly it does not do this at the 1/8th mile tracks.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been holding back info from you Guys. The thing is I am having way better luck with the line lock now that I know not to touch the Brake Padal. But, it will still cancel and limp every once in a while. To the point I though the brake switch was bad or something. So I contacted the SRT Engineers and told them all about it. And the fact that others are experiencing the problem backs me up. Well apparently they do not think my Brake Switch is bad. So the response was that they were all pulling their hair out trying to figure out what is going on with my Car. Me too.

So he asks me "since you said you are pressing really hard on the OK button to set the line lock and hold it, is it possible you are pressing on the left arrow button at the same time?" That will cancel the system. Just sayin.......

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So make the damn left arrow button the one we use......good lord!
Good idea. I have been pressing real hard thinking it might help. Now I am going to have to pay attention and see if this fixes my Problem. I am getting used to using the line lock so now I kind of want it to work right.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
367 Posts

I got bit with this today.wish I would have read this before today

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
2,700 Posts
I used Line Lock all day no issues

Reactions: hell on wheels

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
28 Posts
I am absolutely having no luck with Line Lock..well maybe a little. The only way that I can get it to work properly is if I put the car in park, press the line lock button, press on the break, and the instructions in the cluster prompts me that the car needs to be in gear so while continuing to press on the break I put it in drive and I’ll get the brake pressure option And that’s when I hold OK.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am absolutely having no luck with Line Lock..well maybe a little. The only way that I can get it to work properly is if I put the car in park, press the line lock button, press on the break, and the instructions in the cluster prompts me that the car needs to be in gear so while continuing to press on the break I put it in drive and I’ll get the brake pressure option And that’s when I hold OK.
LINE LOCK:

Get to the proper screen and be ready. Pull into the water and stop as directed by the track official. There is no time limit to be locked so you need to get setup as soon as you can and wait. So enable line lock on screen. LEFT FOOT on dead pedal on left side of floor board. Right foot smash brake pedal panic stop force. See pressure on DIC and when it is enough push OK button and release brake pedal AND WAIT. You do not need to press hard on OK button, because if you do and touch any of the up and down buttons the system may cancel. Now RIGHT FOOT above gas pedal but not touching pedal. If you press the gas pedal and release system may cancel. That INCLUDES if you start the burnout and for any reason stop, System WILL cancel. If you touch the brake pedal, System will cancel. So you hold foot above gas pedal and when given the signal to start your burnout you must commit and do your burnout and do not touch the brake pedal and do not touch up or down buttons. Any time system cancels you MUST take responsibility for control of the car. That means foot off gas and foot on brake pedal and stop the car and thumb off the OK button. Then count to 5 or more and system will reset and you can start all over. If you get frustrated or confused it will seem like an eternity. Just do it right and you will not have any issues.

Any time the system cancels the car will limp and you will have no power when hitting the gas pedal. You should immediately take responsibility and get in that mode of resetting the system. Then you can proceed with another attempt.

Honestly it took me a lot of limps and emails back and forth with Jim Wilder to finally get it to work every time and I decided to just not use it any more. I just do it the old fashioned way and power brake it. It does not hurt the brake pads or rotors as long as you are just doing the normal drag race burnout.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts