SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Locked Myself Out - Didn't Think It Was Possible

14K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  Radride 
#1 ·
Has this happened to anyone else? I have a tendency to put my keys next to the gear selector when I get in the car. A couple weeks ago I jumped in to go somewhere, then realized I needed something back in the house and jumped out. When I realized I didn't have the keys to get back in the house, I grabbed the door handle to get my keys and the door was locked. I went around to the other side and it was also locked. I was like, "WTF?!"

I know there are certain situations where you can lock the door from the inside to prevent people from getting in, but I had just gotten out. I can't figure out how I could have opened the door and gotten out yet have still had the doors locked.

Luckily I was able to get into the house and find a second set of keys to unlock the car. I imagine there's some way with the app, or by calling Uconnect, to get the doors open, but I didn't think about that at the time.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any thoughts as to how it happened? I've accidentally locked my keys in the trunk and it popped open, so I didn't think it was even possible to lock your keys in the car unless you intentionally tried to do it, which in this case, I definitely did not.

#3 ·
My 2011 has locked me out. I think if you hit the door lock button on the door, you are screwed. I know I have tried to hit the door lock on the fob when I had my second set of keys in there and it squawked. I have to hit it a second time, then the door will lock.

#5 ·
I did the same thing and had to call the police.

The officer showed up, walked over to the car and in no time had reached in through the open window (windows were down at the time) and unlocked the door so I could get to my key fob.

I was pretty relieved and a little embarrassed.

Reactions: Chancey
#8 ·
What's the line... "Thanks Dodge!" ;)

The Germans and others have been handling "Audi Advanced key", "Comfort Access", and "Keyless Go", for over a decade. None of which will let you lock your keys in the car, even the Mercedes system while a step behind, and forms the basis of our antiquated system, will throw a fit if you try to lock your keys inside. Flashing lights, popping trunks open, and honking. Did Dodge actually set us even further back into the stone age? Having to HOLD the start button down to start is an example of how the system is a decade out of date, but seems like they would have retained the "do not lock keys in car" feature. Although, we do live in a country where folks cannot manage their "automatic" headlights so maybe it's a thing... :D

I've got to go play with the system, I find it hard to believe that the OPs experience wasn't a fluke, some combination of spare key being handy maybe?!

#9 ·
You do not have to "hold" the start button in to start the car. That is what Dodge calls tip start. Just press the button and release the button - car will start just fine. Even my 2012 SRT started that way so Dodge as far as I know does not have some antiquated start system.

#11 ·
Maybe you've got some other definition of "hold" but I sure cannot simply press and release the button to start the Hellcat. Sorry but go try it, you have to hold that start button until the engine is turning over, or.... not a damn thing happens. "Antiquated". My BMWs, even a 2008 Moto Guzzi, is a simple quick press and release like your pressing you're selecting a grade of fuel.

GO try it, quick "less than a second" standard press on your starter button, see what you get... :D

I'll wait :)...

#10 ·
My understanding is if the car detects a fob inside the car, and none outside the car, then it will not lock and will beep three times. You can override that by pushing the lock button a second time.

#17 ·
On my SRT Jeep I left the keys in the cupholder the first day I had it. I hit the lock button and lights flashed 2 or 3 times but I paid no mind. Went in the store and realized my keys were gone and I just locked myself out. Went to the door and it never locked.

if your keys are in your pocket with your cell phone it blocks the signal. I have to move my cell or pull my keys out to unlock the door

#26 ·
I have an M6 and you have to hold start and depress the clutch. Not in that order :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, my A8 is stab n' start whereas my M6 you have to push UNTIL it's started...
This is just odd, M3 and 335is are Stab N Start, both stick shifts, BMW X3 as well with 8spd, Mercedes E550 was/is Stab N Start, Golf R even was just Stab N Start while the GTI wasn't, and now I find out that the M6 isn't? I'm wondering if this is attorney based... Cause there seems to be no method.

Also, tried locking keys inside and in the Trunk of the Challenger and it's not happening. Horn honks 3X doors unlock, same story in trunk. However if I have another key handy then it will lock and go as normal. But there's no way I'm locking any keys in the Challenger, it's not having it. Maybe if I set a cell phone right on top or something else that might interfere with the signal?

#21 ·
Once again, I would encourage folks to simply go stab and release that button and tell me what happens, cause really really, I HAVE TO (just tried it again for fear of crazy pills) hold that button down till she's running.

Possible that 6spd differs from 8A? Cause I hear ya both, but really just tried it, and without a continuous hold, no joy.

Next ya'll are going to tell me that the windows will go up with a simple pull and release of the switch as well... ;)
The 6 speed needs the start button to be held down along with the clutch. The autos just need to touch the button and it will start.

R.K.

#22 ·
I Jan while visiting my brother I used the remote to start my Ram. I put my purse in the passenger seat and then proceeded to get my suitcase. Upon coming back the doors were locked. Ugggh. I walked around and pushed on every door and the Tailgate to ensure they were all closed as I read online it might help.
negative I had to get AAA to come and unlock it for me.
I was going to start the engine again the first time just because, but got distracted.
I think I should have and what happened is the remote start continued with the security of locking my truck up. I think it's a Dodge and may be used for comparison sake. Maybe not but I'll never do that again.

Linda:)
If you command start your truck and open the door, the doors will not relock on their own.

R.K.

#24 · (Edited)
Here is a previous posting of mine on the same topic... which I walked thru to verify the info in the owner's manual and the behavior of the car.

There is related info in that same string about the trunk popping open automatically if you inadvertently lock your key fob in the trunk... in a jacket, gym bag, etc.

Really nice feature... once you realize what is happening when the Matrix takes over and unlocks the door or trunk... automagically.

However, you can override the Metacortex by simply locking the door manually with the door lock knob. :/

As mentioned already, that is when the Uconnect app would come in handy.. if you somehow lock yourself out while away from your house and spare keys. I just now tested out the app, locking the door manually with the door lock knob and Red Key inside... then unlocking it via the magic of the Internet.

No one would ever need to know that you locked yourself out... Sweet!

#25 ·
Has this happened to anyone else? I have a tendency to put my keys next to the gear selector when I get in the car. A couple weeks ago I jumped in to go somewhere, then realized I needed something back in the house and jumped out. When I realized I didn't have the keys to get back in the house, I grabbed the door handle to get my keys and the door was locked. I went around to the other side and it was also locked. I was like, "WTF?!"

I know there are certain situations where you can lock the door from the inside to prevent people from getting in, but I had just gotten out. I can't figure out how I could have opened the door and gotten out yet have still had the doors locked.

Luckily I was able to get into the house and find a second set of keys to unlock the car. I imagine there's some way with the app, or by calling Uconnect, to get the doors open, but I didn't think about that at the time.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any thoughts as to how it happened? I've accidentally locked my keys in the trunk and it popped open, so I didn't think it was even possible to lock your keys in the car unless you intentionally tried to do it, which in this case, I definitely did not.
Same think happened to me twice

#34 ·
This should never happen and the cars have the system In place to stop this.
My Jeep Grand Cherokee did the same thing twice. Each time it was remote started opened door and left key on seat and closed door. Somehow door locked by my son and wife left
Only to come back to have to rescue me

Staying tuned because this interests me.....

#36 ·
Just had this happen to me right before getting onto the dyno any idea of the fix/cause. Lmao

#37 ·
You would have to hit the lock button on the inside door panel for it to happen. I think people are hitting it without realizing it. Either by habit or by mistake. It’s the only way you can lock the car with the fob inside because the car assumes you are in the car due to it being locked from inside.

#38 ·
Really don't think i hit the lock button on the inside of the challenger today but who knows. Had my hands full with the laptop/Hp tuner. Key fob was in the cup holder area. Will be extra careful now, thankfully it happened somewhere where there were tools to get the key out without damage.

Reactions: Slowpoke387
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.