SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Long term build quality...

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  NeverEnough 
#1 ·
Used that title for clicks :D

Anyway, I recently got a new hood due to the well known corrosion issue.
Get the car back, & soon after, I have the well known screen delamination issue. Of course, all this starts to happen eight after the warranty is over.

SRT Customer service & Uconnect gave me the run around. I happen to be at the dealer for state inspection & asked them if they needed to take photos of the screen to Dodge since that needed to be done for the hood. They said no since warranty just ended & that I'd have to simply work with Dodge on it.

Dodge & Uconnect say the opposite even after all was explained.

I got DodgeCares here involved so let's see what happens. Anyone else have crap happen right after warranty ended? If so, did you pursue a courtesy warranty repair from Dodge & did you get it?

#2 ·
Dodge has told me to pound sand everytime I am over the mileage or time window for a given vehicles warranty. That’s fair enough as the warranty has ended

I have heard from others that dodge will offer goodwill on powertrain, but not the 3/36 stuff.

The main reason I have tried a few times is because chevy was so good to me. Granted, my GMC had a fair amount of issues over 280k miles of corporate use, they were still giving me up to 60% off some repairs at 185k Miles because the suv was only 3 years old and it was powertrain related.

Don’t get me started on Ford! They royally hosed me on a rear end repair for my wife’s year old explorer sport

When we have a car roll thru the shop we always check things over really well because I’m very up front that we will be voiding your warranty unlike some vendors here trying to sell you stuff promising there has never been a warranty issue. Anyways, we have found many things wrong with vehicles the owners had no clue about, and some were fought tooth and nail by various manufacturers for different reason. So I can really only go on my personal experience here to be fair being I didn’t have all the past info for these situations.

#3 ·
Well, if I ultimately don't get this courtesy replacement of the uconnect unit then this will probably be my last Dodge product. As we all know, replacing that unit is an expensive repair.

#4 ·
This is a well known issue on MY 17/18 touchscreens. My 2017 just started to delaminate the other week. Honestly, it should’ve been a recall, but failure seems to happen just outside of standard B2B warranty.

The actual touchscreen/LCD part # has been revised twice since.

I replaced mine last weekend…very easy job…though replacement part (revision part #’s are harder to find) was $650, plus tax, plus $9 shipping. Though it wasn’t cheap, I didn’t want to waste my time fighting with dealers or FCA.

Feel free to PM if you’re considering changing yourself as I just did a small write up this week somewhere else. Like I said, very easy.

#7 ·
it should’ve been a recall
Recalls only happen for safety issues.

While def annoying I cant see never buying another Dodge over a $650 part. I get that it’s the principal and prob not the cash but at the same time you’re going to see most manufacturers not replacing that radio regardless. By that standard you would be boycotting almost every manufacturer.
Completely agree. And anytime someone says it's not the money, it's the principal, it's always the money.

#5 ·
While def annoying I cant see never buying another Dodge over a $650 part. I get that it’s the principal and prob not the cash but at the same time you’re going to see most manufacturers not replacing that radio regardless. By that standard you would be boycotting almost every manufacturer.

#11 ·
I get the corrosion issue on my hood and have to fight to get that properly taken care of and now right after that and right after the warranty magically expires, this crap happens?

I'm not seeing a coincidence. Plus, how you treat your customers dictates how your business goes.

Maybe some of you continue to go back to companies and buy their things after they mistreat you or their products don't exactly hold up. Whatever the reason is.

That's not what I do. As consumers, we have the power to speak with our wallets. These days we also have the power of the internet and social media to get issues resolved.

#6 ·
I have stated this before. FCA paid for a warranty repair on my Durango after it was over the 3/36 basic by ONE year. I called and explained the issue to a rep. After someone higher up gave the OK, I was told to pay for the repair and FCA will reimburse me. Within 2 weeks of me sending the invoice to them I received their check in the mail. Call and talk with customer service. It's not them who make the decision, so give them slack. Allow the process to play out. Write a letter if need be. Just be nice. It works.

#8 ·
Happy you got covered. I have bought quite a few brand new dodge and SRT products over the years and haven’t had as good of luck as you.

Speaking of these screens peeling, I had a 2015 Hellcat and never had a issue with the screen over 5 years, but I know they were changed over to Panasonic since. So my 2018 Trackhawk will likely have this same issue? Or isn’t it that widespread?

#14 ·
Every car manufacturer has made someone mad for how they were treated. I can tell you the BMW x5m's my brother has had were not a trouble free experience and for him they would be 'unownable' without the extended b2b warranty.
Being nice, explaining your situation, being persistent as said above are usually the best paths.

#16 ·
I’m all for you keeping at it and trying, but I hope
You don’t feel entitled to having it replaced free outside warranty. You got your 3 years out of it and did not purchase the extended garbage warranty they offered you when you purchased the car

When your running the business it’s a hard call to make. You had a written warranty and it expired.

When I’m not working on cars I live in the medical imaging world. When a new MRI scanners 1 year warranty expires and it breaks the next day, your paying 100% of that $100k bill. Don’t even bother asking for goodwill and that’s a $2 million dollar machine.

Just saying that We all have different experiences but this thread reminds me of you demanding a hood replacement before FCA even had time to look into your corrosion issue. If you rely on the warranty for repairs to get done, you have to play on their court, not yours

#18 ·
I have a 2017 Hellcat Challenger....my screen started delaminating in February this year....(1 year out of warranty)....I called FCA Cares in March....was told the first step, was to take it to a dealer, to verify it wasn't damaged by abuse....you do have to pay a diagnostic fee, approx $150.....the tech will pull radio out, get serial number, reinstall. Once Uconnect people have that info 1) not caused by abuse 2) serial number.....they will decide whether to warranty it, or pro rate repair. In my case they said they would cover the replacement 100%. They will not reimburse for diagnostic charge, and it is a rebuilt radio.....but I have had it back 4 months...works great....very pleased with the deal....a new Radio is around $1500-$1800 depending on your source....and replacement screen is around $650. The 2017's have a known history of screen delamination, and the Uconnect Rep said as much....again I am very pleased with the settlement.....I did take picture of the serial number of old radio, and new, so if it fails again, I will have that info for buying a replacement radio or screen...both easy do-it-yourself repairs.....I thought I would at least try to get them to warranty it, and they did...very helpful, and friendly....love the car!

#19 ·
It just gets better & better!

Now Dodge/Uconnect claim they spoke to the dealer (Same kid @ dealer that I worked with) and now he says they need to see it. Oh really? While I was there WITH THE CAR, you claimed no need since warranty ended & I have to talk to Dodge. Both sides are now wasting my time.

I'll just find a used unit & replace it myself when it gets bad enough for me to not be able to look at it anymore. Last Stellantis product I buy. Yea yea, spare me your internet bad ass talk. You can disagree, but I am allowed to speak with my wallet. That's how consumers can get a point across. My gripe is valid.

#21 ·
Let me get this straight, they are willing to actually look at your problem now that you have gotten the appropriate people involved but your way of sticking it them is not taking it in, replacing it yourself if it gets worse, and not buying another dodge ever again?

Got it…
No, you don't "got it"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.