SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
89 Posts
Go to mycarfax.Com and enter your email and a password. You can enter the VIN and it will give you some maintenance history if not all. You just can't see owners, title status and some other carfax items. It's free too.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I’ve seen the carfax. Carfax doesn’t give exact service history which is what I want to see.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,507 Posts
I’m looking at a used ‘18 widebody and was hoping someone here could run a VIN for me to get dealer service history. I can PM you the VIN. Any help is appreciated!!!!!
Why wouldn't the seller offer the service history?

Service history is worth knowing but also you need to thoroughly check out the car. How the engines, how the car drives, behaves on the road when being driven in a variety of ways is important.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's at a non-dodge dealer. I'm just trying to cover all my bases before I decide what to do. Car only has 3k miles for 2018.
Not my first rodeo, the vehicle is in another state.....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
70 Posts
You can call your local dealer and have the service dept run a check on it but it will likely only report warranty, not maintenance. But how much service history are you expecting with only 3k mi?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope to see standard maintenance but you never know what can happen in a year and a half.

·
Registered
301 Posts
With such low mileage I honestly wouldn't worry about it. That's practically a brand new car. As long as it hasn't been in any accidents just make sure the dealer changes the oil before you drive off the lot. Then put the pedal to the metal.

It's still under warranty.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was more concerned with a tune and mod history plus any outstanding issues with FCA. I've known guys to go ape shit over mods on a new vehicle, so I'm trying to avoid those types. :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was more concerned with a tune and mod history plus any outstanding issues with FCA. I've known guys to go ape shit over mods on a new vehicle, so I'm trying to avoid those types. :p
Ahhhh gotcha, smart. Should always be wary of that when buying this type of car used. Good luck.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,507 Posts
It's at a non-dodge dealer. I'm just trying to cover all my bases before I decide what to do. Car only has 3k miles for 2018.
Not my first rodeo, the vehicle is in another state.....
When I was considering a used car (back in 2009) I got a CarFax report from the selling dealer. From this I learned where the car spent some time -- in this case its first 6 years (the car was a 2003 MY). I called the dealers in that area and with the VIN the servicing the car had was looked up. I avoided asking anything about the owner but I did learn what services at what time (month/year) and at approx. what miles the car had received. I learned enough to be confident the car had received reasonable servicing.

For mods I checked the car over carefully and found none. Intake, exhaust, wheels/tires/suspension nothing showed any signs of any changes from factory. Granted in this case my concerns about mods were also put at rest by the fact I was buying the car from a dealer of the brand of car and the car was coming with a 2 year, 100K mile CPO warranty. The car had just under 10K miles on it. Still it never hurts to check the car over and keep in practice.

And before I bought the car I got a test ride then a test drive to help assure myself the car was ok.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
463 Posts
So how do you know if a car was turned and returned to stock?

Also, will FCA tell you if a VIN is still under warranty or flagged no warranty?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So how do you know if a car was turned and returned to stock?

Also, will FCA tell you if a VIN is still under warranty or flagged no warranty?
Dealer said something about in depth scans that count cycles, really not a way for them to know if a tune was added or removed.
But they were able to tell me if the car had any issues with FCA and it does not. Full warranty, etc. everything appears to be as expected.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,213 Posts
If the car was tuned, FCA will know if they want to, like in a major repair. For little stuff, they probably won't check.

Also need documentation showing at least one oil change every 6 months since new or in a major repair, your engine warranty is probably already out the window anyway.

So it's a risk either way as are all used car purchases.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If the car was tuned, FCA will know if they want to, like in a major repair. For little stuff, they probably won't check.

Also need documentation showing at least one oil change every 6 months since new or in a major repair, your engine warranty is probably already out the window anyway.

So it's a risk either way as are all used car purchases.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hmmm, something I didn’t even consider. If the car has never had an oil change then the powertrain warranty is out the window? I don’t have a clue but @ 2600 miles I’m wondering if it’s been changed?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
70 Posts
The 6 months is suck BS. I've looked at a dozen hellcats some with 30k+ mi, looking at carfax and calling up dealers, and not 1 had the oil changed every 6 months. There was even a 100k mi WB that had the intervals in the 15k mi range without any warranty claim. Mine was the closest one, had the best history on it, and it sat for a year. 1st oil change @ 6 months/1,500 mi, driven 2,500 mi then traded into a dealer with 4k mi, sat for a year, then 2nd oil change at 4,500 mi, 3rd oil change 11 months/6,000 mi, 4th oil change 12 months/7,500 mi, traded into a dealer and sat for a year. When I got it 3k mi later, oil still looked good, 75% oil life on the gauge, when I brought it in to the dealer, even the service tech that did the oil change mentioned the color.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
70 Posts
Yes, it's one of the reasons why they killed the lifetime warranty and the 100k mi was dropped down to 60k mi. The engines are well-engineered, just make sure you change the oil every 8k/12 months, or you can do the recommended 6k/6 months, to preserve the engine. It would be rare for there to be a warranty claim on a bone stock engine, short of nos or over boosting stock internals, but when you're heavily modifying it, you don't go to the dealer for warranty repairs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts