SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've always said the smartest people I know are the ones that realize what they DON'T know. I'll be the first to admit I don't know squat about superchargers or computer controlled cars. Ask me about exotic woods and I know my sh%t, carburetors and distributors and I can hold my own, superchargers and computers, well you may as well just call me Sleepy Joe. I'm hoping to get feedback from some of the members on this site that ARE experts. And, unfortunately, have learned by doing it the wrong way first.

My goal is to build a fast street car. First and foremost, a street car. I'm not looking to build a race car that can somewhat be driven on the street. Don't get me wrong, I may take it to the strip one or two times a year, but I want to build something that is as friendly, or better, that stock. I would not be at all uncommon for the wife and I to jump in this car and drive 200-300 miles one way to stay out of town for the weekend, but also have the ability to embarrass almost anything else around town. My goal is for this car to have a minimum of 925 whp on pump gas. BTW, this is not my daily, nor is it my first weekend warrior. This is a "toy" to play with in good weather.

I'm starting with a 2021 Super Stock. It is currently sitting on the assemble line waiting for the plant to start back up again. The first thing I did was to research on this site, and others, so find the most competent builder/tuner. After a lot of reading I settled on OST Dyno, who coincidentally happens to only be 30 minutes away from me. I scheduled an appointment and sat down with Micah last week to discuss my build. After explaining what I was looking for, and learning an incredible lot, we settled on the following:

4.5 Whipple w/big bore oval TB
ID 1050x injectors
Unlocked PCM
DSS carbon driveshaft
ER12S plugs
Pinned crank
180 Thermostat
Flextune

After all of the reading I've done, I also plan to do the following prior to taking it to OST:
HHP Demon springs - already have
315/50/17 ET Street R
Diablosport suspension controller
DIRS brace - already have
AAD Drag Pack

It sounds like this combo should net me around 850 whp on 93 and something more on ethanol, depending on the percentage. I get the impression this will be a relatively tame build and would have the potential for significantly more, should I want it. I'm hoping it will have great street manners as well.

Please help me and let me know what you think about this. Especially those that have already gone the Whipple route.

I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,242 Posts
OST is great, they did my last build. Your set up is spot on. You'll have a lot of untapped HP in reserve with the 4.5, you should go ahead and add a tune for race gas just for fun.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OST is great, they did my last build. Your set up is spot on. You'll have a lot of untapped HP in reserve with the 4.5, you should go ahead and add a tune for race gas just for fun.
Do you mind if I ask what your build consisted of?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,242 Posts
2.85 upper, 10% lower, 180 thermostat, DSS driveshaft and axels, Per4mance DIRS brace, 1050 injectors, PCM, HPT, ATAK exhaust, Barton A8 shifter, Pinned crank, Moroso coolant tanks (Both). Probably a couple of things I'm forgetting as I sold it and just got a REWB Challenger. I'll be putting together a build for it after I hit the break in miles.

·
Premium Member
Charger Forged 392
13 Posts
Looks like a good build. Can not go wrong with Mike and Micah recommendations. Top Notch in the Hemi/Hellcat builds.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My question was why the old technology of the 4.5L and why not the new billet Gen V 3.0L....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can someone please help me understand this? I already have a 2.7, why would I want to go to a 3.0 instead of a 4.5? I’m sure it’s a stupid question, but I’m just trying to learn here. This rational was the reason my first big block Chevy was a 1974 454 that made a mind blowing 175hp...

Is the 3.0 that much better than stock?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
The Eaton 3.0L rotor pack produces more boost with less energy applied, I believe. Alas, Magnuson does not yet make a Hemi-specific kit for that rotor pack, though the Corvette basks in the availability of just that exact rotor pack from Eaton (where Magnuson gets its rotors, around which it designs its offerings.)

Not sure if the Whipple 3.0 continues to be a twin-asymmetrical-screw design.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
This just in:

Notice how the rotors are moving closer to equal-cross-section as the effiency is increasing?
Also, the RPM ratio between the two has dropped from 5:3 to 4:3.
It would be fun to witness a blow-off between a 3.0L Eaton symmetrical-rotor Twisted Roots (my name for it) and the Squeezer of the Charmin.

What is also very interesting is that the aftercooler seems to be a twin-pass, as the air leaves the rotors and is cooled on the way up, then on the way down as it exits the plenum down to the cylinders. THAT is a BRILLIANT IDEA. Especially brilliant is the idea if the coolant flow overall has the coolest coolant over the intake ports, and the warmest coolant over the blower itself.

It looks like Magnuson fell asleep, like Dodge with the sport compact car market, and Whipple has jackboot-kicked the doors down.

It's a good design, incorporating some ideas I had thought to get implemented on the Magnusons, but not all of them. Note the lack of bulky "pantleg" around the shaft in the intake. notice how the area between the rotors up top is closed off, and the possibly highest-airflow-hungry-square-inches-on-the-car area as the bottom of the rotor interface is wide open?

Whipple is angling for complete market coverage and dominance. I didn't even think of having a twin-pass aftercooler. It's a truly inspired design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts