SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Spoke
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Auto part Spoke
Hey guys... so it was just cleaning up the car on this nice day.. and when I’m closely inspecting the calipers (the fronts) I noticed the finish is rather lousy and almost like a Flat Black finish.. not the nice glossy finish I had on my 392 with the red calipers. Is this expected for Black calipers? What do you guys think? Can Anyone with black calipers post up some pics of your front calipers to cross reference this... I’m thinking I might have them refinished in a High Gloss Black.. not particularly happy looking at them.. you see how the finish on the bottom photo looks?.. next to the brembo in white lettering you can see it clearly looks like almost a slate gray and the finish is slightly tarnished to the right of the lettering. (Note I did clean them before taking this photo.)

·
Banned
Challenger SRT Hellcat
601 Posts
You definitely don't want anyone stealing your wheels, you live in the Hood??

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
10,114 Posts
Just cant see why anyone would actually pay money for black calipers. They look like every other caliper on every car ever made to me. That aside, there have been tons of complaints about the finish on the black calipers. Not sure why they would not be a gloss finish like the red ones that are free, but for some reason they are different and are a disappointment to most owners. I think most buyers are expecting a nice glossy black caliper. A few threads here discussing this same thing.

Reactions: OldMoparGuy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
63 Posts
Yep, that’s what you get. I have the same on my ‘18 widebody that I took delivery on in November 2017. I’d post a photo but one is enough. I was almost as unhappy then as you are now; thought maybe they would listen to the dissatisfaction and put a gloss finish on them by now.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already emailing a guy about repainting. Has anyone done a carbon fiber finish look?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or Maybe I’ll get them done in a gloss black and see if they can make the brembo logo in a Dark Red... decisions :D

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You definitely don't want anyone stealing your wheels, you live in the Hood??

That’s happened to me before last year... it’s not fun... never leaving my car overnight in the city again

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Tree
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Tire

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D:rolleyes:See how nice my red Calipers were lol.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
949 Posts
Is that what the city will do for ya??? I am not going. I really like my Tennessee orange calipers. Looks good with the black, but another problem has arisen. I live on the water in Florida. Popped the hood 2 days ago and all the metal is oxidizing. The plate on top, Hemi and hose clamps. You can blow white dust off of em. Contacted the dealer,,,,, know how that is. That material is aluminum and is not supposed to turn. Any one else have had this happen.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do you guys think if I get the brake calipers re-done in a dark cranberry red?

Reactions: White Trash

·
BMF
4,447 Posts
Confederate Red

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,695 Posts
View attachment 499703 View attachment 499701 Hey guys... so it was just cleaning up the car on this nice day.. and when I’m closely inspecting the calipers (the fronts) I noticed the finish is rather lousy and almost like a Flat Black finish.. not the nice glossy finish I had on my 392 with the red calipers. Is this expected for Black calipers? What do you guys think? Can Anyone with black calipers post up some pics of your front calipers to cross reference this... I’m thinking I might have them refinished in a High Gloss Black.. not particularly happy looking at them.. you see how the finish on the bottom photo looks?.. next to the brembo in white lettering you can see it clearly looks like almost a slate gray and the finish is slightly tarnished to the right of the lettering. (Note I did clean them before taking this photo.)
Gorilla lock those wheels those factory locks can still be taken off.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just went to the shop and the deal is done. I’ll post pics in a few days. There going to be a base coat Black Metallic with a shot of Clear Gloss Dark Cherry. Going to be sick! Oh and the fronts are losing brembo and I’m going to have the SRT and Hellcat logo in dark cherry. :D

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gorilla lock those wheels those factory locks can still be taken off.
There going in a box soon anyway. I’m putting factory repos on in Gloss Black they have a 10.5 inch Rear with a 25mm spacer.. so I can put some big dogs on the back :cool:

Reactions: nycsrtate

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,569 Posts
If they want them. Gorillas take just as long to get off as a regular lug.

I throw those color lug caps over my winter tire setup. They are a royal pain to take off without the little tweezer tool.

·
Thread Killer
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,034 Posts
I have the same black calipers on my '17 Daytona. When new, they were flat black. They have since turned flat gray. After speaking with Mopar tech support, I was told the reason they turned gray is because the cleaner I was using was improper PH level. Therefore, not a manufacturer's defect. After much research, I have come to the conclusion that most wheel cleaners are too alkali (PH > 7). The most readily available cleaner I found that is PH neutral is dishwashing liquid. Since my Daytona is Destroyer Gray, I am not overly concerned about the now gray calipers. If you want your black calipers to stay black, I would recommend using only dishwashing liquid on the wheels and calipers.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
2,697 Posts
I just went to the shop and the deal is done. I’ll post pics in a few days. There going to be a base coat Black Metallic with a shot of Clear Gloss Dark Cherry. Going to be sick! Oh and the fronts are losing brembo and I’m going to have the SRT and Hellcat logo in dark cherry. :D
Can't wait to see the finished look!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts