SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

LOWERED!! KW Adjustable coil springs installed....

67651 Views 167 Replies 62 Participants Last post by  Hirohawa
Took the time to install my KW springs today... Install wasnt too bad. It took me about 4 hours crawling aroung by myself. A lot of that time was taking the wheels on and off to make height adjustments.. And another 1/2 hour was needed to run to the store to buy 2 set screws that were needed and some crazy German neglected to include....

The spings are fully adjustable height wise. I ended up adjusting the car down 1" all the way around. I measured from the ground to the front and rear wheel lips, and also the front splitter to gauge the difference... I will give the car few hundred miles to "settle", as they mention the car may settle another .2"-.3".... Then I will have the alignment checked..

Ride quality, honestly, has not been affected AT ALL... rides quality is exactly the same in all 3 Suspension Modes, but is definetly less "floaty" when in "Street" mode, which is what I use on our wonderful Wisconsin roadways...

Before and after pics... thoughts? I am VERY happy with the look...

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks very nice at that height. Did you measure the difference when it was stock and in track mode? Let's hope you did it in a warm garage. Those days working on the car outside in the winter really stink.
Close to 50* today.. I was actually sweating a bit. It felt good.

99% sure that the height doesnt change between suspension modes.. just the rate of dampening of the shocks or whatever you want to call them..

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Part # 25327018 on the KW site is what I ordered. Is this what you have?
Yup.. thats what I have!! Let me know wheb you do the install.. I can save you a ton of time with the height adjustment if your interested..

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool I may do this when my car comes to a point that they need replacing. Being German I assume they are of excellent quality. Did your camber visually look different? Thanks for the pictures too.

Camber looks about the same.. we will see when its aligned..

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will do it this Friday if the car indeed arrives on Thursday. Looks like I should just got to 1inch according to your pics? I love to save time.
If you like how mine looks, I can PM you the details on how to get it there in the adjustments... it took a lot of trial and error on my part. Keep in mind, it may settle another 1/4" from what I pictured..

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I know some have expressed interest in the kit I used, and BossHawg has purchased one. So, in order to save you guys the time, I will give some tips here for installing...

I bought the KW kit, part # 25327018. I paid $725 shipped, I have since seen it for as low as $650 shipped.. They cost twice what regular drop coils cost, but offer FULL height adjustment. They are listed for a 1" drop, but they will go to 2"-2.5" easily...
Suspension part Auto part Shock absorber

You can see there is a black base/seat on the rear spring, and a gold one for the front. These are threaded and the purple collar will adjust the height. To get 1" drop, I adjusted the purple collar in the rear 10 TURNS from the bottom. That gave me exactly 1 inch. I was lucky, because on the rear, you have to remove the spring again to make adjustments, which takes a little bit of time. I nailed it on the first try. When doing the rears, I use the "cradle" method. This involves lowering the rear cradle one side at a time. Others have just dropped the rear control arm. I dont like the idea of lowering and raising a control arm under spring tension, so I drop the cradle. Leaving the opposite side cradle bolts tight when dropping should NOT affect alignment..

The front, I ended up adjusting the purple collar up 3/4" from the gold base. I cant say how many turns, because it took about 4 tries to get the 1" drop I was looking for, and I lost count. When you make height adjustments, you would think that moving the base and adjusment collar apart 1/4" would affect height 1/4" but it doesnt work that way.

Here are the instructions I used. The KWs come with instructions that are marginal at best...

http://ekazsrt8.net/documents/P5155436.pdf

This job is actually pretty simple. You will need basic tools, along with a couple floor jacks and stands. You WILL need a strut spring compressor to do the fronts, or you will have to bring the front assemblies to a shop to remove the stock springs. You will also need a good torque wrench. I used air tools this time around, but on my last SRT, I did everything by hand. New cars come apart pretty easy..

Im going to say that a number of springs will work on our cars... Mopar Stage 1s, H&Rs, Eibachs, etc.. All at half the price. But, none will offer height adjustment like the KWs...

If somebody has ?s, post up, I will do my best to answer..

Good Luck!

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looks killer! what is your clearance now at the front splitter? Thanks for sharing. Great info.

Tammie, the clearance at the splitter at stock ride height was 6 5/8" all the way around. After lowering, it is now 5 3/4"... I have steep approaches on both of my driveways and havent scraped....

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you so much. I have these sitting in my trunk right now and was going to have them put on thursday. Since a shop is going to be doing it for me, having your instructions on how much to lower it really helps.

The instructions are mostly in german, so im lost.

Thanks soooo much
Good Luck!

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Looks sick. Gonna order tomorrow. Tks again
Did you order direct or through other outlet??
Purchased off of Ebay from seller "tier1motorsports" ... Offered $725 shipped,had a tracking number in 20 minutes and they were delivered 2 days later...

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
All the while you were doing the installation, were you singing these lyrics?

All my friends know the low rider
The low rider is a little higher

Low rider drives a little slower
Low rider is a real goer

Low rider knows every street, yeah
Low rider is the one to meet, yeah

Low rider don't use no gas now
Low rider don't drive too fast

Take a little trip, take a little trip
Take a little trip and see
Take a little trip, take a little trip
Take a little trip with me

Uuuuuuhhhhhhh..............no

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
How sad that you can't relate. The song was released in 1975 and is still played (very often) today. One might consider it a "classic". Obviously, because of it's continued air play, someone still likes it.
Its "sad" because I dont relate to a crappy song that was released in a year before I was born? Im not a fan of 70s rock, and I dont consider them "classics"... I dont think its "sad" that you probably dont relate to the 80s and 90s music I grew up with and now consider "classics"..

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
View attachment 6717
Now that's how the factory should have done it. Looks perfect at an inch lower. Now how much room do you have between tire and inner fender well. Do we have room for a 295/45/20. It's only 3/4 inch wider.

3/4 of an inch would be no problem at all...

Don't PM. Post it up here or better yet add it to the Wiki section. Share the good info. you have. You did a nice job setting up your new springs!

I did put the info in the post on a previous page...

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Updating this thread... Car has settled another .25", for a total of 1.25" lower than factory. I have yet to scrape or rub anything, including the splitter. Rides really nice, actually there really isnt any difference than factory besides sitting lower...
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.