SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’m thinking the Monster triple disc clutch or the BBG. Wish there were more people that have tried something other then the McLeod to give some reviews. It’s a hard decision when your looking for a clutch that’s best for both street/strip.
I hear you on the clutch situation! Hell, its almost always that way with several decisions regarding these cars. Its kinda like the driveshaft debacle; some people have had good luck without vibration issues, and others haven't. Other than tuner choice, the clutch, rear axles and driveshaft brands will be difficult choices and hope I choose right! I want my car to serve purpose for street/strip, versus just strip only.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I haven’t done anything to the car yet not until I’m sure I have the right clutch. My other challenger I had had the ram clutch in it which was good at the track but not so good on the street. It had the DSS axels and drive shaft which had a good vibration which drove me nuts. I love the way my car drives now and now thinking of doing stuff to it I keep coming back to finding upgraded parts that won’t make my street driving annoying like my last car. It’s tough to find all that.
Automatics I don’t think have that problem as much. Plus to me it’s cheaper. I have a buddy that owns a dodge dealership and wants me to trade in my M6 for a redeye. I’ve considered it but I’m just not sure if I’d get board at the track.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I haven’t done anything to the car yet not until I’m sure I have the right clutch. My other challenger I had had the ram clutch in it which was good at the track but not so good on the street. It had the DSS axels and drive shaft which had a good vibration which drove me nuts. I love the way my car drives now and now thinking of doing stuff to it I keep coming back to finding upgraded parts that won’t make my street driving annoying like my last car. It’s tough to find all that.
Automatics I don’t think have that problem as much. Plus to me it’s cheaper. I have a buddy that owns a dodge dealership and wants me to trade in my M6 for a redeye. I’ve considered it but I’m just not sure if I’d get board at the track.
LOL. We've thought about the same things. I've thought about just getting a Redeye and be done with it, but I won't do it. I just found a used DSS driveshaft locally this morning that I'm going to take a look at. The price is decent and I worry about the vibration issue with the DSS shaft. Of course the seller will tell me it worked perfect in his car. LOL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think when I decide on a clutch I’ll probably go with the wiles drive shaft. The only problem is if you have a Barton shifter apparently the 4 inch drive shaft hits it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think when I decide on a clutch I’ll probably go with the wiles drive shaft. The only problem is if you have a Barton shifter apparently the 4 inch drive shaft hits it.
I just came across a local DSS older version driveshaft for a real decent price. I’m going to look at it tomorrow. I might take a chance on it. Other shafts I’m looking at are Wiles, QA1 and CCI. Yes, I’ve read the Wiles does hit the Barton shifter - weird.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yes, Wiles hits the Barton shifter but it doesn’t take a whole bunch to make it clear and the work was well worth a smooth ride. Plus, which would you prefer spinning at 7500-8000 rpm with a M6 in overdrive literally 6” away from your ass??
9D1F5144-1B9D-4C7B-83EB-BB9D3B6B552F.jpeg
8526D4AE-D2B8-44C8-88CA-52E4DFB5A68F.jpeg
9DE38A1C-03BB-4B9A-BAEF-78DF550F7061.jpeg
E38DE275-F63E-4E90-88C9-B60A2ECD1620.jpeg
C77B9F05-10DD-424D-8FB6-9BAAC0962045.jpeg
D502F7CC-6407-48D2-B4E5-71B794DBB84F.jpeg
A1ED84D5-5097-4BBA-8B84-B699C807C969.jpeg
B7113F56-A77E-46D6-877E-E32C09CAD8BA.jpeg
71403E29-E99F-494F-8F3D-2568C02AFC9A.jpeg

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Barton shifter in my car with the 4” aluminum DSS no rubbing or vibrating at all. Also dss axels.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, Wiles hits the Barton shifter but it doesn’t take a whole bunch to make it clear and the work was well worth a smooth ride. Plus, which would you prefer spinning at 7500-8000 rpm with a M6 in overdrive literally 6” away from your ass??
View attachment 546468 View attachment 546469 View attachment 546470 View attachment 546471 View attachment 546472 View attachment 546473 View attachment 546474 View attachment 546475 View attachment 546476
Thanks for posting the photos. I have a Barton, but it’s not installed yet as it’s still in the box. At least I can see which areas need modified, if I chose the Wiles shaft.

What was your wait time and cost for the Wiles shaft?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
1100 bucks, was installing it 4 days later. Just looking at it makes me feel secure DS wise, and it’s much lighter then the DSS, like a feather. InHad the DSS in first, it didn’t like 80 mph and un drivable over 130, clocked it all over trying to smooth it out, and it spewed grease all over under my car. Plus the shafts just look a little small in diameter for my liking, just wasn’t for me. I do have a set of DSS stage 5 axles that I haven’t even opened the box to look at yet, hoping they dont add any vibration, be putting them in this winter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for those pictures. The wiles ds looks so much better then the dss one. I don’t like the fact that you have to shave off material from the Barton shifter though. I wonder if Barton is doing any redesigns for this problem. How much would you say you had to shave off the bottom of the shifter?

·
Registered
182 Posts
In another thread a member who bought a CCI shaft said he had the same clearance problem with his 4” shaft and Barton shifter. He said he just had to shim the trans mount 3/16” and then all good. Never touched the shifter.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
It was easier for me to cut the shifter then try to shim up the whole transmission mount, It doesn’t Weaken it at all it’s just extra meat on the bottom that’s removed

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok. I wondered if removing the material would weaken those areas; never know about metal sometimes. Looks like there is still plenty of meat to not worry about it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts