SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

M6 is quicker than the A8

20963 80
N/A
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

· Registered
930 Posts
Coke! No Pepsi....
The ONLY coke I will concede to liking is cherry coke (which we can't get in Canada) I buy that stuff EVERY time I'm in America town!

That and coke from a fountain (restaurant) is delicious. Cans or bottled coke sucks for whatever reason.

Pepsi is consistent no matter how you buy it, it always tastes great.

I think Coke has more of a cult following, people like it just because it's Coke (even though the Pepsi taste challenge proved way more people picked Pepsi as their favorite... LOL)

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
...after the warranty runs out I'd rather buy a clutch set and do a self-install on my M6 than take the A8 to the tranny shop for a rebuild...BTW, has anybody seen a heads up run of the A8 vs the M6 yet?
Ha, it was actually the M6 that was having issues due to the power. They had to add a cooling loop as the temps were exceeding the allowable limits.

Auto trannies are in a different class nowadays.... You replace your clutch. I'll take my chances and when the time comes I have a buddy that owns a transmission shop... By then he will know what if anything needs to be upgraded ;) (all in good fun here my friend)!

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts

· Registered
930 Posts
Ha, it was actually the M6 that was having issues due to the power. They had to add a cooling loop as the temps were exceeding the allowable limits.

Auto trannies are in a different class nowadays.... You replace your clutch. I'll take my chances and when the time comes I have a buddy that owns a transmission shop... By then he will know what if anything needs to be upgraded ;) (all in good fun here my friend)!
Didn't someone who had a problem with their A8 post that this auto trans is NOT a serviceable item? They said it gets totally swapped out if there's an issue?

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
Didn't someone who had a problem with their A8 post that this auto trans is NOT a serviceable item? They said it gets totally swapped out if there's an issue?
It's not that it isn't serviceable but rather that is the approach Dodge is currently taking for failures under warranty. Most likely they want the entire transmission back intact so that they can do a post failure analysis. This helps them understand manufacturing issues, design issues etc.

I think this is fairly common in the industry for specific types of assemblies.

Reactions: Ironside

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
259 Posts
I can only get A8 in Charger, so doesn't matter. But for what its worth I ripped up my ACL, MCL and ankle in my left leg playing hockey and had a manual. I couldn't drive for probably 3 months. What I wouldn't have given for a auto at that point in time. I still play hockey so an A8 was always on my radar. Oh and Pepsi all the way!!!

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,148 Posts
Boy I didn't mean to beat the hornet nest. The thing I would't like about the A8 is when your cruising and mash the LOUD peddle and that trans (because of the speed your at) drops from 6th to say 2nd??? I wonder how many of those wrecked Hellcats are A8s:oops: Like I said in other post I LOVE 3rd inMama's R/T M6

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
Boy I didn't mean to beat the hornet nest. The thing I would't like about the A8 is when your cruising and mash the LOUD peddle and that trans (because of the speed your at) drops from 6th to say 2nd??? I wonder how many of those wrecked Hellcats are A8s:oops: Like I said in other post I LOVE 3rd inMama's R/T M6
No not at all. It's all in good fun.

Seriously though, If you have a chance to take a ride in an A8 go for it. I'm not trying to sell you on the A8 over the M6 (we all have our preferences and that is fine) but I do think you will be impressed. This isn't the automatic in your grandfathers Oldsmobile.

· Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,768 Posts
I can only get A8 in Charger, so doesn't matter. But for what its worth I ripped up my ACL, MCL and ankle in my left leg playing hockey and had a manual. I couldn't drive for probably 3 months. What I wouldn't have given for a auto at that point in time. I still play hockey so an A8 was always on my radar. Oh and Pepsi all the way!!!
those are the coolest goalie pads ever???? from Scott Batrum????

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,148 Posts
No not at all. It's all in good fun.

Seriously though, If you have a chance to take a ride in an A8 go for it. I'm not trying to sell you on the A8 over the M6 (we all have our preferences and that is fine) but I do think you will be impressed. This isn't the automatic in your grandfathers Oldsmobile.
I'll get the chance at SRT track day, Won't I ?

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
465 Posts
A8 or M6 If you get a car you SHOULD be happy either way! :cool: anyway its not like you can test drive both cars and make your selection I think some days I would want a manual some an auto but then again I haven't driven either yet. All my 60's muscle cars are 4 speeds just for the fun factor but back then there was no auto that would shift in 200 milliseconds or stand up to any kind of abuse with more than 3 gears so there are good arguments for getting both. ;)
What I do know is.....I am getting the automatic and my brother the manual so I will let yall know what I will prefer after they are BOTH put to the test :D

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
466 Posts
I like to give it a brief half mash into 4th leading directly into a full mash into 2nd. Especially fun with new passengers that think the first downshift is the last...:)

After you get used to it and know what to expect, it's very controllable.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,212 Posts
I have a '07 SRT Charger putting about 470 to the tires. Fast car...but I've always wanted a 6 speed Challenger and knew if I ever bought 1 it would be a M6. Then this wild thing is released and honestly the thought of a M6 with this much power and torque simply "scared" me. I dont drive the Charger much but I am always on the ragged edge and think the M6 in a car like this would simply be too much for the way I drive. Normal 6.4 SRT....M6 for sure

Reactions: Jacob B.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
110 Posts
I go with the manual for the driving fun. I am tired of the atutomatic being most of the time in the wrong gear, stuck in gears, not shifting up, shifting down when not needed, takes to long to shift, etc. Also automatic does not allow over jumping gears or taking off in 2nd (may needed depending on road condition).

The only automatic I love is the one in my old Mercedes Benz from 1968 which is a mechanical one. Have not found a newer car which holds up against it. Just my opinion.

Looking forward to the report of A8 and M6 compare.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
466 Posts
I go with the manual for the driving fun. I am tired of the atutomatic being most of the time in the wrong gear, stuck in gears, not shifting up, shifting down when not needed, takes to long to shift, etc. Also automatic does not allow over jumping gears or taking off in 2nd (may needed depending on road condition).

The only automatic I love is the one in my old Mercedes Benz from 1968 which is a mechanical one. Have not found a newer car which holds up against it. Just my opinion.

Looking forward to the report of A8 and M6 compare.
You can definitely take off in second gear with the A8....:)

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
370 Posts
I got the m6 knowing the A8 was a little quicker. That killed me :mad: ... That being said I trust my manual versus an auto gearbox for repair costs in the future and live to row gears.. Personal preference. I also cannot give in to the new world order with slick shifting autos to replace the drivers experience... Not yet at least. Cheers to both

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
110 Posts
You can definitely take off in second gear with the A8....:)
That is what hubby said till I showed him it is not true but you can prove me wrong. When you have your A8 HC record it that you take of in the second gear. I am pretty sure as soon you get on the gas the car shifts in the 1st gear. Would like to see your recording showing you take off in 2nd gear and the car is not shifting down to 1st.

I have played around with the automatic in different cars. Used the manual shifting to see if I can take of in second gear and every car shifted into the 1st. Car showed second gear till I went on the gas and boom there was the 1.

· DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,251 Posts
That is what hubby said till I showed him it is not true but you can prove me wrong. When you have your A8 HC record it that you take of in the second gear. I am pretty sure as soon you get on the gas the car shifts in the 1st gear. Would like to see your recording showing you take off in 2nd gear and the car is not shifting down to 1st.

I have played around with the automatic in different cars. Used the manual shifting to see if I can take of in second gear and every car shifted into the 1st. Car showed second gear till I went on the gas and boom there was the 1.
2nd gear starts are possible on the A8 and even on the A5 NAG1.

When not racing, it helps to start off in 2nd in snowy/icy road conditions.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.