SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
858 Posts
Forum user @charger440rt summarized it nicely in this thread: “I assume Dodge went with a 2.26 in 1st to increase the torque capacity on the transmission, as the choice of 1st gear ratio is directly proportional to what a trans can ultimately withstand.” That explanation makes sense to me, however it doesn’t explain how the 2.90 reverse gear is OK, or the 2.66 1st gear in the 2013 Mustang GT-500 with a 625 lb-ft engine, so maybe we’ll never know for sure why the M6 Hellcat came with the 2.26 1st gear set.
I have not posted or even come to this forum in a very long time (years). It's ironic on the day I came back I had an alert you mentioned me. I still have my 2015 Hellcat but went back to my 60s/70s Mopars. I recently bought a 70 Challenger 440 RT which has my interest currently. Anyway, I think the reason the reverse is 2.90 is because Dodge doesn't expect anyone to do hard launches in reverse, so it does not matter. As to the 2.66 in the Mustang, Ford was probably being less conservative. The 2.26 stock Hellcat 1st gear is exactly the same ratio as the then production Viper transmission if I recall so I assume they repurposed it for the added strength. Take care and good luck with your car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
858 Posts
Just curious, aside from personal feelings on the matter, are our cars really number matching? I was told that when the trans was swapped out under warranty once that the trans is not tied to the car. I think that can be said for everything. I mean, they might want the chassis vin number to make sure you have a red eye for example before selling a red eye part, but 10 years from now, could any one actually show that the facotry put part serial 1111 and part serial 2222 together in the same car?

This thread leads me to believe major parts are serial numbered:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts