SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's awesome. I wasn't aware of this? Is there any literature or press release that speaks to this? Always fun to nerd it up and read about this kind of stuff.
Just teasers

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
That's awesome. I wasn't aware of this? Is there any literature or press release that speaks to this? Always fun to nerd it up and read about this kind of stuff.
Nottalotta details yet. But, if Magnuson is producing their own blower rotors, that's a gigantic leap forward for their tech autonomy.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Curious, I am, as to how/if they will package that bambino up for the Hellcats. If it's another drop-er-right-in package like the 2650, it'll be a serious contender for the Benjies.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got one test pass in. Made some revisions with my tuner and tried to go back out. Track was a mess and I didn’t stick around late for more prep. Got one run in 4 hours. Happy with the first hit.
AF7B8179-7A02-469F-9F7E-09FE328F5A6A.jpeg

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Was told I caught a little air spinning, didn’t believe it until I saw it lol
EE7BC8B0-4B21-4705-A92F-B4DB6F09686D.jpeg

Reactions: WVHEMIS

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Reactions: WVHEMIS and HaloCat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,250 Posts
I have no idea why this blower isn’t more popular.
It's starting to gain popularity now but its a newer product compared to the Whipple. Then there's those that simply go the cheaper route and port their stock 2.4L or 2.7L blower. The Magnuson and Whipple are just the next step above a ported stock blower and not for everyone.

Reactions: Mean Cat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,250 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow that launch looked a little crazy but after that, it was gone like a rocket.
I thought it was going to be an aborted run, but it straightened out and I decided to stay in.

Reactions: WVHEMIS and Blkout

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,250 Posts
I thought it was going to be an aborted run, but it straightened out and I decided to stay in.
Another 1/2 mph and its time for a chute.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Another 1/2 mph and its time for a chute.
I think we’ll get there. This run was on lower timing too 👀. I was impressed for it weighing over 4700lbs

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I do so eagerly await the introduction of the 3.0 version of the Magnuson. Even if I started out with bone stock levels of output, aka putting a huge fat pulley on it to slow it down, it's nice to daydream of all the horsepower headroom available. Nice to have a first-gen Hellcat with the voluminous hood bulge right down the center.

My other choice, believe it or not, would be to slap a Mopar Pro scoop on an SCT hood just for sheer nostalgic macho excellence. The scoop is not what I'd call efficient or well-designed or really, anything but just so Mopar Macho!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I wonder how many RPM the 3.0 will gladly accept. I guess it will be lower than the 25,000 RPM (roughly) flight ceiling of the 2650, due to larger size and all.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It will be a good blower.

Reactions: 2fast4u

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Curious, I am, as to how/if they will package that bambino up for the Hellcats. If it's another drop-er-right-in package like the 2650, it'll be a serious contender for the Benjies.
Eaton already produces an uberstuffer for the Cravatte or however you spell it LOL that has 3.0L displacement. My guess is that since this already exists:

...that Magnuson is working at engineering their own cases etc. to use with said Eaton internals.
I ask again, what is the RPM potential of this sucker?

I wonder if supercharger makers have considered alternative materials for their rotors for reduced rotating mass or increased strength. One has to remember that those rotors see a LOT of heat and need to dissipate it and/or not absorb it in the first place. Carbon fiber looks good, to me, based on rigidity, low coefficient of thermal expansion, and thus rev potential.

BUT, the surfaces of those rotors would be seeing a lot of heat that had no way to escape, as carbon fiber is very effective at insulating heat transfer across the fiber, though it conducts it ALONG the fiber just dandy, rivaling copper, and, of course, exceeding it past copper's melting point.

Titanium is the material of choice for very-high-output turbochargers due to it being stronger, in spite of higher mass, than aluminum, even carved billet aluminum.

The primary stress on turbo compressors is the blade working against the air, as powered by the shaft, not the centrifugal forces of rotation, or ceramic blade compressors would be the answer.

Another concern with carbon fiber is that due to its low hysteresis it can have harmonic vibrations start to build that keep increasing in magnitude up to the point of destruction. Aluminum is naturally good at vibration damping, as it has a fairly high hysteresis. No one, like literally nobody ever, uses aluminum for a material in making bells.

Resonance in mechanical objects is your enemy. Mythbusters put a little device with an oscillating weight on a steel bridge once and set it to a certain frequency, and it had the entire bridge vibrating. They shut down the study and kept hush hush about the frequency, and said "Don't try this at home."

If resonance is a potential problem, such as in the construction of a driveshaft, carbon fiber is not the ideal choice. Whether the vibration is torsional or linear, it can escalate like a rumor and lead to failure. Spicer markets driveshafts that are combination aluminum and carbon fiber. most likely for that very reason.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
It will be a good blower.
Judging from the placeholder pic in the video link, the rotors focus more on diameter than increased length, thank God.
I do not like, from an airflow standpoint, a longer rotor pack funneled through the same-length case/etc. The ones on Top Fuel dragsters make me want to start an Air Molecules Against Torture movement.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
It could for sure benefit from a port in my opinion.
What it needs is a rethinking of the design philosophy of the intake area. Right now, it places around 100 percent of the emphasis, logically, on strength and longevity. If F1 cars used screw blowers, I guarantee you the front end would not look like it does.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
All good points.

Got some drama to contend with before the end of the season. Have new tires coming.

Also, upping the sauce a bit.....

6E03858F-3DAB-4F05-9D74-A373E5691153.jpeg
A88610A8-5209-45B7-95B6-1709FB97575A.jpeg
AE0D9043-C2EB-4A82-BCC3-C6D0E710E0C7.jpeg
0BF7B28C-15F9-428E-AB58-B619A2DB8B3D.jpeg

Reactions: 2fast4u

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
56782217-15A2-42C5-B96A-B3D46BFF7C92.jpeg