SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My last car was a 2016 Hellcat Manual. I am leaning towards a automatic 2020. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,161 Posts
Did you like the manual? If so, get another one. If not, get the auto. Remember, you’re the one that has to live with it on a daily basis.

R.K.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
581 Posts
A8 always and forever. A8 is faster and smarter at shifting. You'll also like the choice of shifting manually either at the shifter or the paddles if desired (and I do frequently :) )… AND you can order Remote Start with an A8 and that is very nice. You also never have to worry about a slipping manual clutch.

Best!

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT 392
4,004 Posts
I have a manual SRT and while it is a blast to drive, if I had to choose now I would 100% get an automatic. Driving in South Florida rush hour traffic is not fun in a 6spd nor is stopping at the plethora of red lights everyday. That being said if it were a weekend car only I would choose the manual.

- Alexis

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,944 Posts
Hello,
My last car was a 2016 Hellcat Manual. I am leaning towards a automatic 2020. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks
Been driving manuals for over 50 years. Based on my experience with some of my previous high performance cars in which I came to realize how slow the manual transmission actually shifted and as a result diminished the acceleration experience.

So when it came time to buy a Hellcat I elected for the A8. I figured since I was paying considerable money to get 707hp why hamstring the engine with a slow shifting manual?

And while I didn't have any plans to race the car I felt should I race the car launching a 707hp car with the A8 would be easier on me and easier on the car compared to a manual.

I never test drove the Scat Pack I bought with the A8 nor 2 months later when I bought the Hellcat. I had a couple of mile test ride enough to give me confidence the car was ok. Mainly I relied upon YT vids of reviewers and other others driving the Hellcat and in a variety of conditions, including the track. The A8 really shined at the drag strip. While I had and have no plans to race the car I still enjoy a hard acceleration once in a while and paired with the 707hp engine the A8 delivers this in spades.

Really enjoy the Hellcat with the A8. So much so that my other car, a MINI JCW with a very nice shifting 6-speed manual (with rev matching) and 30mpg vs. 15mpg for the Hellcat is finding itself sitting more and more as I drive the Hellcat more and more. Part of the reason is the A8. Most of the time I have it in M mode to use either the shift lever or the paddles - mainly the +paddle -- to shift the transmission. For downshifting most of the time I let the A8 transmission handle that.

Still you have to decide for yourself which type of transmission you prefer. You have to live with the car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
402 Posts
I have a 2017 HC 6spd, but my 2020 will be A8.
Partially because I broke my clutch foot last year and had to swap cars with the gf for 4 months.
I found the A8 in her Charger SRT to be very good, and I paddle shifted frequently.
I do enjoy the interaction provided by the 6spd, but I am now looking forward to a different driving experience.
$3,000 for an A8 is a rip however.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,471 Posts
Another vote for the A8 here. The shifts are lightning quick and you won't miss the stick.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,546 Posts
I never drove the auto, but since my other toy car is an auto, I had to have a manual is this car, so I don't know what Im missing in the A8. Since my philosophy has evolved into the “there will always be someone faster” I put more value on my satisfaction in interacting with the car rather than being along for the ride. Same reason I went from a V-twin cruiser to a sport bike. Its working the machine where I get satisfaction, besides, being a “retro” car, I felt paddle shifters were out of place. Good luck either way, Im certain you will be satisfied.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,069 Posts
I am an A8 fan but don’t get the A8 if you are really going to miss a clutch. Personally, I do not miss a manual trans.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello,
Thanks
Hello,
Thanks
I like manuals, but since i daily my 17 I like the automiac and its nice to remote start to let the car warm up and what not

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
69 Posts
If you have a left leg you buy a manual. Simple rules to live by.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A8 love it. owned manuals before like them too, but A8 isnt a joke when it come to performance. The manuals are cheaper, but IF your buying a Hellcat what does that really mean?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,161 Posts
A8 love it. owned manuals before like them too, but A8 isnt a joke when it come to performance. The manuals are cheaper, but IF your buying a Hellcat what does that really mean?
The A8 comes standard here in Canada. The manual is actually the upgrade here.

R.K.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,115 Posts
Well if you buy a Hellcat Charger you won't have to think about making a Decision;)

I loved driving out Our manual 2009 Challenger but I really love racing the A8.

Are you going to go to the Dragway and enter any type of classes.

Linda :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
149 Posts
Owned a Scat Pack a while back. It was a manual six speed. Now own a Hellcat with the automatic. Agree with most of the comments above; the stick is a more tangibly fun experience, but the auto is so. Friggin. Fast. Plus you get the added benefit of remote start for cold mornings/showing off, and the comfort of just having the brake when you're in stop and go traffic.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts