SRT Hellcat Forum banner

McLeod clutch failure

1578 18
I just burned through a brand new McLeod RXT 1200 at the track in three passes. I broke it in exactly as instructed, 500 miles of stop and go traffic. Took almost a month. Then fried it in one day left me dead at the end of the track.

Wondering what your experience has been and what other options are out there. Cars at 850hp/866tq so should have been fine. Not really looking to go through the same thing again.
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
In The Market
124 Posts
Weird, a guy at my office has a Camaro SS that recently had a McLeod Clutch put in. Not too long after he had the trans off because he felt like the clutch was toasted. My builder swears by Mantic clutches.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
829 Posts
RPS if you can swing it...IF they offer a clutch for the hellcat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post. Bumping it because the quality haven’t gotten any better. Went through 2 of them in no time. Last one only last 10 months. I run 20’s and only do rolls (not very often). That clutch had 0 launches.

I will never spend money on another McLeod. I just received my Mantic Triple disk so hopefully that solves the issue 👍

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,910 Posts
I know this is an old post. Bumping it because the quality haven’t gotten any better. Went through 2 of them in no time. Last one only last 10 months. I run 20’s and only do rolls (not very often). That clutch had 0 launches.

I will never spend money on another McLeod. I just received my Mantic Triple disk so hopefully that solves the issue 👍
I used to race my 1,000whp Mustang on an Exedy Mach Stage 4 clutch. That car would usually get 30-50 passes on M/T slicks before needing a swap. We did try a McLeod clutch on it, but it didn't make it out of the service bay. I forget the exact issue, but it had something to do with the alignment not being perfect and it was chattering like mad, so we yanked it out and on with the Exedy. I wish I could give more info, but I am not a transmission guy.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Been running my McLeod RXT1200HD for almost 5000 miles now at 1075 wheel on a RAM Aluminum flywheel. Probably 150 60-130 pulls and 30 or so 1/4 pulls on 315/30-20 Nitto DR’s. Flawless so far. All be it though not on stock 1st gear ratio which requires one to slip the clutch way to much on launch and that may be your issue. I run a 2.66 first gear in the Tranzilla. I have a Mantic triple new in box for when it fails though as it’s at its crank HP limit at the moment.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Tire Alloy wheel
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
829 Posts
I would 1,000% see if RPS offers anything for the hellcat TR6060 before most other options.

I ran the RPS BC2 billet carbon twin in my CTS-V at 758whp for 2 summer seasons & 8 passes (of which 7 passes & 1 summer were on a failing slave) with zero discernable clutch wear after about 20k miles.

We've seen the triples hold well into 4 digits. There is a Quad version too. Why I have no idea as the triple was tested good to something like 1200whp.

It's carbon faced. It's somewhat stiff. Kinda harsh to daily...But if you want a clutch that will GRAB, HOLD and get BETTER with HEAT...that's your ticket.

Reactions: DiirtyKat

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a factory rebuilt Mantic Quad disc unit that I’d sell for $2400 if anyone is interested in it let me know.
That’s a killer deal. If I didn’t have the triple already I would be all over that.

That’s awesome that your McLeod is holding up. Mine had a terrible vibration with both past McLeods. I thought it was an alignment issues, but after getting the Mantic installed it completely went away.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
That’s a killer deal. If I didn’t have the triple already I would be all over that.

That’s awesome that your McLeod is holding up. Mine had a terrible vibration with both past McLeods. I thought it was an alignment issues, but after getting the Mantic installed it completely went away.
Yep, THANK YOU was killer deal, it has been sold.
The vibration you felt that went away with replacing your McLeod with the Mantic, can you describe it? Could you feel it in the shifter or ???!!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,410 Posts
I just burned through a brand new McLeod RXT 1200 at the track in three passes. I broke it in exactly as instructed, 500 miles of stop and go traffic. Took almost a month. Then fried it in one day left me dead at the end of the track.

Wondering what your experience has been and what other options are out there. Cars at 850hp/866tq so should have been fine. Not really looking to go through the same thing again.
Spec Clutches. Ive 900+whp and although only 3 runs in before track closed permanently it was flawless. It is a hi perf clutch so it has some annoyances when street driven but tolerable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts