SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Hellcat Challenger manual, 2018 Challenger Scatpack A8 white, 2018 Scapack M6 Indigo Blue
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
After doing some initial (brief) research in the forums it seemed like the McLeod RXT1200 was the way to go for a clutch upgrade. My stock 2016 Cat is low miles (14K) but I have noticed some obvious slippage at times and it appears to me there is about 35% left of the original clutch. I thought this would be a worthy upgrade and purchased the RXT recently. Last night I went into the forums to see if there were any other components that should be replaced while the trans is off and found a ton of complaints about the RXT I had not seen before. I am debating whether or not to send it back. Would really appreciate your opinions:
1. Who makes the best quality (heavy duty) aftermarket clutch for a 2016 Challenger HC? I might go to the track once a year for a couple of passes so a majority of my driving is low key, low miles. Yes I did race a Chevy truck today but that doesn't happen very often. No pointless burnouts or clutch feathering. I am one of those people who enjoys taking care of his equipment. :)
2. What other components should I buy to replace while I am in there? Do you recommend OEM parts or is there an aftermarket option that is better quality?
Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Don
PS- the Chevy truck was very fast.....definitely modified (and sounded mean) but the Cat easily walked away...... :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm actually pretty surprised you are having a slipping clutch if you aren't tracking the car and aren't slipping the clutch on the regular. I would expect them to last a long time when not being abused. Me personally I planned on going back with a stock style clutch when that day came but am tuned in on feedback from others.

I'm curious, how did you come to the 35% left findings? Granted I didn't search to hard but I recently looked under my new to me car and I didn't see an access window that would let me analyze the clutch health. I am damn near blind as a bat though :-(

·
Registered
2016 Hellcat Challenger manual, 2018 Challenger Scatpack A8 white, 2018 Scapack M6 Indigo Blue
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually pretty surprised you are having a slipping clutch if you aren't tracking the car and aren't slipping the clutch on the regular. I would expect them to last a long time when not being abused. Me personally I planned on going back with a stock style clutch when that day came but am tuned in on feedback from others.

I'm curious, how did you come to the 35% left findings? Granted I didn't search to hard but I recently looked under my new to me car and I didn't see an access window that would let me analyze the clutch health. I am damn near blind as a bat though :-(
Hi Frosty
I bought the car this way....when I test drove it I noticed the clutch was not what it should have been at 12K miles. I am guessing 35% based on my experience with test driving a new Challenger HC M6 a while back. Maybe its 50%? Who knows, but it needs replacement. It would be nice if the Chally came with a clutch life meter similar to oil life! :)
I have read a lot of good things about the McLeod but recently found some concerning reviews. Of course the guys complaining seemed to be the type who spent a lot of time at the track. Again just trying to get some feedback. :)
D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HEMI Manual Clutches - MMX Modern Muscle Xtreme
^^ here's your cheapest option, but that being said

I would get the Mcleod. State of mind that it won't ever break on a decent launch or hot day, plus you can swap plates after instead of a whole clutch which saves money down the road if you plan on keeping the car for a while.
Good point! Hadn't considered that. Trying to figure out if I should replace any other components while he is in there?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Good point! Hadn't considered that. Trying to figure out if I should replace any other components while he is in there?
Flywheel (if its not in good shape) since that's what the friction plate will actually touch. A bad flywheel surface will cause even the best clutches to slip. I would get nice stainless braided lines for everything and possibly a better throwout bearing system but that's overkill at that point. A clutch and clean flywheel and you should be ok. Just be sure a reputable shop does it and FOLLOW YOUR BREAK IN PERIOD. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of people whom get a clutch swapped in, go do a bunch of highway rolls and digs before they even put 50miles on the damn thing and wonder why they have a large amount of chatter and stuff on their $1400 clutch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flywheel (if its not in good shape) since that's what the friction plate will actually touch. A bad flywheel surface will cause even the best clutches to slip. I would get nice stainless braided lines for everything and possibly a better throwout bearing system but that's overkill at that point. A clutch and clean flywheel and you should be ok. Just be sure a reputable shop does it and FOLLOW YOUR BREAK IN PERIOD. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of people whom get a clutch swapped in, go do a bunch of highway rolls and digs before they even put 50miles on the damn thing and wonder why they have a large amount of chatter and stuff on their $1400 clutch.
Great feedback.....thanks Jake.......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got through to Mcleod yesterday and talked to a tech. The only thing he advised was to change the clutch slave cylinder and to have the tech make sure the flywheel was in good shape before installing the new clutch. If anything looks wrong with the flywheel to replace it as well. I will report back once the work is done. Thanks for responding guys.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I got through to Mcleod yesterday and talked to a tech. The only thing he advised was to change the clutch slave cylinder and to have the tech make sure the flywheel was in good shape before installing the new clutch. If anything looks wrong with the flywheel to replace it as well. I will report back once the work is done. Thanks for responding guys.
Flywheel can be pricey, if the grooves or damage to the surface doesn't exceed fingernail grab depth (run your nail over the surface and see if you can feel a ridge) then I would suggest having a decent machine shop throw it in a lathe and skin .010" off it til its smooth and has minimal runout.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Flywheel can be pricey, if the grooves or damage to the surface doesn't exceed fingernail grab depth (run your nail over the surface and see if you can feel a ridge) then I would suggest having a decent machine shop throw it in a lathe and skin .010" off it til its smooth and has minimal runout.
The RXT1200 does not use the stock original flywheel’s friction surface, it is a self contained unit that bolts to the original flywheel. I have one. Sounds like tech at McLeod didn’t know his own product?
I bolted mine to a lightweight aluminum flywheel to make up the weight different the McLeod adds by having that thick plate verse stock clutch not having such, it’s one thing I dislike about the unit, the added drivetrain spinning weight it adds with that thick plate
4B939294-C12F-4E37-BA3F-ECE8DD061D8B.jpeg
D26E4397-FCB6-4CA1-88B5-AB1030E722EC.jpeg
5C1789F4-39CA-4E45-B967-2E5BF03E1B74.jpeg
BA8D858B-70B9-4872-9563-46CD98B8F164.jpeg

·
Registered
361 Posts
Any noticeable difference in clutch pedal feel with the RXT. My only experience with it was in the 03-04 Cobra world where we had really heavy single disc clutches from the factory so the RXT actually helped make the pedal more reasonable. I could be wrong but I think the hellcat is a factory dual clutch so assuming it doesn't change. I know I'm in the minority but I kind of like the weight of my clutch pedal. I do need to get rid of the dang CDV though as the spongy feeling drives me a bit crazy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The RXT1200 does not use the stock original flywheel’s friction surface, it is a self contained unit that bolts to the original flywheel. I have one. Sounds like tech at McLeod didn’t know his own product?
I bolted mine to a lightweight aluminum flywheel to make up the weight different the McLeod adds by having that thick plate verse stock clutch not having such, it’s one thing I dislike about the unit, the added drivetrain spinning weight it adds with that thick plate View attachment 570855 View attachment 570856 View attachment 570857 View attachment 570858
Wouldn't the flywheel still need to be rather void of surface defects or is it a moot point?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think you would just need to ensure it's flat so the clutch kit sits flush on it.
That makes sense....I thought it was weird too unless he was referring to making sure the plate wasn't warped or screwy in some other way? At any rate, I am going to get it installed next week and I will report back.
Thanks
D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK cool...yes it releases fine.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Any noticeable difference in clutch pedal feel with the RXT. My only experience with it was in the 03-04 Cobra world where we had really heavy single disc clutches from the factory so the RXT actually helped make the pedal more reasonable. I could be wrong but I think the hellcat is a factory dual clutch so assuming it doesn't change. I know I'm in the minority but I kind of like the weight of my clutch pedal. I do need to get rid of the dang CDV though as the spongy feeling drives me a bit crazy.
No, pedal feel is about the same but the RXT is like a ON or OFF switch, feathering it is tough. I have the RXT1200HD which is a pretty grabby clutch but my 2.98 first gear makes everyday driving starting off from a dead stop pretty easy even on an incline.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good morning guys!
I got the clutch installed yesterday. Was an 8hr job costing me a little less than 1K in labor. First thing I noticed as I drove out of the lot was the clutch engaged much sooner in the pedal stroke. This is a big improvement. The clutch is very smooth and pedal weight feels about the same or maybe a bit easier. The shifting is a bit stiffer now though and getting it into reverse is a bit difficult. Mcleod tech advised that should ease as the clutch breaks in? He also advised to expect 12-1400 pedal strokes for break-in. No chatter with exception of one incident. I was making a U-turn on an incline with wheels at max deviation and didn't give it enough gas. Chatter seems to be something that can be avoided with proper management of the gas pedal and clutch. Still figuring this out.... but happy so far. It is def an improvement over stock though I cannot do any real pulls until after break-in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok update on the break-in. I thought the 12-1400 shifts to break-in the clutch sounded excessive. I just drove to and from my office (8 miles from the house). Its a mix of city and highway driving. I counted the shifts at 56 on the way there and back (30 minutes round trip). Some quick math reveals it will take about 5 weeks of daily driving to for the break-in.
Will continue to update.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts