SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
137 Posts
$1K for 8 hours of labor doesn't seem too bad at all. Definitely no fun doing that job on your back under jack stands...not sure I would want to do that again in my life.

What did the old clutch disk/Flywheel look like when it was taken out. Was the disk material near toasted?

·
Registered
2016 Hellcat Challenger manual, 2018 Challenger Scatpack A8 white, 2018 Scapack M6 Indigo Blue
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
$1K for 8 hours of labor doesn't seem too bad at all. Definitely no fun doing that job on your back under jack stands...not sure I would want to do that again in my life.

What did the old clutch disk/Flywheel look like when it was taken out. Was the disk material near toasted?
I didn't get to talk to the mechanic personally but my buddy is the service manager at the Dodge dealer here in town and he advised the flywheel was good (a couple of "hot spots"??) but the clutch disks showed excessive wear for 14K miles. This confirmed what I was feeling both in the pedal and while driving. I could feel it slip at times. I watched a video of the process on Youtube and could not imagine doing it without a lift. Shoot, even with a lift! So many steps....definitely for the advanced mechanic.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Flywheel (if its not in good shape) since that's what the friction plate will actually touch. A bad flywheel surface will cause even the best clutches to slip. I would get nice stainless braided lines for everything and possibly a better throwout bearing system but that's overkill at that point. A clutch and clean flywheel and you should be ok. Just be sure a reputable shop does it and FOLLOW YOUR BREAK IN PERIOD. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of people whom get a clutch swapped in, go do a bunch of highway rolls and digs before they even put 50miles on the damn thing and wonder why they have a large amount of chatter and stuff on their $1400 clutch.
If the McLeod is one of their models that just bolts a friction plate to the existing flywheel, then a new flywheel surface is irrelevant. A new, aluminum flywheel may be a good idea, though, to reduce overall mass.

Read my clutch research thread, which I put up specifically to do some legwork for everyone considering a clutch replacement.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
795 Posts
Also if you have not done it yet removing the clutch delay valve from the hydraulic slave cylinder fluid supply tube will improve the operation of the clutch.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts