SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 492 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,292 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hmmm....285/35 is tempting but....nearly 120 more per tire than the Pirelli PZero and 104Y vice 106Y. I'm sure the grip is better but not 120 bucks a tire better for my purposes which is HPDE track events. I was hopeful since they had the speed rating to do double duty at mile racing/high speed events. No dice though. I can get 6 P Zero's for the price of 4 of these.

OUCH!!! On the Michelin site they are 398 a tire....338 on tire rack vice 218 for the P ZERO

·
Premium Member
12,292 Posts
Whats your opinion on these tires. I was thinking of getting these instead of the SS

The PS4 is replacing (has replaced) the SS, unless you find them leftover in stock somewhere, you can't get the SS anymore...

·
Premium Member
7,915 Posts
Besides myself there has been three instructors who have driven my car with the PZeros. It has been a unanimous chant, DIFFERENT TIRES WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. Look at the stopping distances established in the video, the new Michelin stopped the car in nearly 10% less distance.

Additionally, if you can get one more track day per set because of this new compound, it seems then one can do some math and decide the extra money is negligible. Or think of the MasterCard commercial, Hellcat $65,000, price of new tires $1,200, passing everyone during your HDPE event....priceless! Look at the cost of Trofeo-R's and other race tires. I thought the $340-400/per was good for this quality.

For you street drivers, the warranty has to make it a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Besides myself there has been three instructors who have driven my car with the PZeros. It has been a unanimous chant, DIFFERENT TIRES WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. Look at the stopping distances established in the video, the new Michelin stopped the car in nearly 10% less distance.

Additionally, if you can get one more track day per set because of this new compound, it seems then one can do some math and decide the extra money is negligible. Or think of the MasterCard commercial, Hellcat $65,000, price of new tires $1,200, passing everyone during your HDPE event....priceless! Look at the cost of Trofeo-R's and other race tires. I thought the $340-400/per was good for this quality.

For you street drivers, the warranty has to make it a no-brainer.
I know you've done this a lot and I know you can drive....I've seen your youtube videos. BTW yours is the first channel I've ever subscribed to! Lol. From what I saw you are ALREADY passing everybody including Vettes, and Vipers. I've always said the drivermod counts for the most so thank you for proving that and representing our beloved Hellcat.

Now back to the tires....I'm not yet convinced. Say I do 6 HPDE events per year. Say the Pirellis last for 3 events vice 4 for the Michelin. I still need two sets of both tires and the difference is 1744 vs 2704 or nearly 1000 dollars or in practical terms another full set of Pirellis with money left over for brake pads and fluid. (I define event as one track day BTW with 4-5 25min sessions). I'm going to these events to drive the ever living Sh#T out of the car...this is true. Faster lap times are OF COURSE desirable but it's mostly for fun and not competitive so I just don't know if I can justify the extra coin when you factor in the brakes, the track fee, track insurance and all the other money I spend on tires for Drag Racing etc... If I can find a set for a little less I may eventually try them out but at 155% more per tire I think I'll stick with the Pirellis.

DGatzby all that being said I hope you get a set and give us a full review! I can be convinced but I'd be very curious how they hold up. If they get 155% more life then maybe it would sway me.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If you look on their site and use the tire/model look-up, a 275/40/20 does come up for our cars on the PS4S page. Maybe coming soon?

·
Premium Member
7,915 Posts
I know you've done this a lot and I know you can drive....I've seen your youtube videos. BTW yours is the first channel I've ever subscribed to! Lol. From what I saw you are ALREADY passing everybody including Vettes, and Vipers. I've always said the drivermod counts for the most so thank you for proving that and representing our beloved Hellcat.

Now back to the tires....I'm not yet convinced. Say I do 6 HPDE events per year. Say the Pirellis last for 3 events vice 4 for the Michelin. I still need two sets of both tires and the difference is 1744 vs 2704 or nearly 1000 dollars or in practical terms another full set of Pirellis with money left over for brake pads and fluid. (I define event as one track day BTW with 4-5 25min sessions). I'm going to these events to drive the ever living Sh#T out of the car...this is true. Faster lap times are OF COURSE desirable but it's mostly for fun and not competitive so I just don't know if I can justify the extra coin when you factor in the brakes, the track fee, track insurance and all the other money I spend on tires for Drag Racing etc... If I can find a set for a little less I may eventually try them out but at 155% more per tire I think I'll stick with the Pirellis.

DGatzby all that being said I hope you get a set and give us a full review! I can be convinced but I'd be very curious how they hold up. If they get 155% more life then maybe it would sway me.
Thanks. I have a couple days remaining on my track set. Then I will have a decision to make. These will be considered. Could be June-July for me. I have a NASA event on the darn short Comp course at BIR Jul 1-2. New rubber may be nice for that. B4 that I will have a Performance School day and a Vette Club lapping day, so I may be ready for new rubber by then. Darn rears took a hell of a hit all the way across! Never thought it was burning rubber anywhere but it lost that rubber somewhere. These are so much fun to drive on a road course and use the power.

·
Registered
132 Posts
According to the customer support person answering (interactive chat) questions on their website:

"In a size 275/40ZR20, the Pilot Sport 4S is still in the development phase. Unfortunately, it does not give us a date as to when they will be released."

further

"I will certainly pass on the information, a lot of people are waiting on that tire! ..."

-nosualc

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It just depends how fast you Wana go. If you want faster lap times, you pay more for tires. I had a customer spend 2100$ a few days ago for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's with heat cycling for his 911 turbo. He will get a few good track days out of them and that's it. Gotta pay to play haha.
When your talking tenths and hundredths of a second in lap times, it's worth it! Otherwise save your money and do the Pzero.

·
Premium Member
12,292 Posts
I have a feeling there is a CUP 3 coming soon...
Is this a feeling similar to what RS has about FCA information or just wishful thinking?

;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was really looking forward to the PS4, but after experiencing and reading all of the instability issues with the PS2 and SS, I will be staying away from it now.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think that had more to do with wrong fitment than anything else. Everyone is always trying to put wide tires on narrow rims. The super sports come OEM on BMW M3,M4, Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, ect. Don't think it's a tire problem ;)

1 - 20 of 492 Posts