SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got an email from Mopar, just like some of you may have gotten, that has tires buy 3 get 1 free thru the local dealer. They quoted me $1400.64 out the door cost including the alignment. The best tire I could find that would qualify (the tire has to be available on their website) were the Michelin Pilot Sport A./S 4 all season for my 2019 Challenger widebody. I would really like some advice from people who now have these instead of the shitty Pirellis. I will not be putting Nitto or any other Japanese tire on my American muscle car. I am not racist so please don't give me shit about it. I just personally think putting a Japanese name tire on that car is not cool to do. It could be Chinese, Russian or Martian but I'm still not putting them on my Redeye. I'm guess I'm just old school because I don't drive foreign cars either. The Michelins come with a 45,000 mile warranty, too. Any thoughts out there? I'll probable pull the trigger on Monday if get enough good testimony from those who already have them on their Hellcat. Much thanks!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I understand that you said you don’t like the idea of a Japanese sounding tire on your car, even if many Nittos are made specifically for and manufactured in the US Market. What I’m not understanding is why you are okay with a tire from a French company with a French sounding name on your Redeye? I currently have all three brands of tires you mentioned on wheels in my garage, so not steering you one way or the other, just trying to understand your bias.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
697 Posts
Michelin PS All Season 4 all the way; which is about the only good tire. They have been rated #1 forever, along with their summer ones. They want $1360, w/o anything else, so $1400 isn't bad. Why do you think you need an alignment anyway?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michelin PS All Season 4 all the way; which is about the only good tire. They have been rated #1 forever, along with their summer ones. They want $1360, w/o anything else, so $1400 isn't bad. Why do you think you need an alignment anyway?
I've always heard an alignment with new tires is in order. I've just paid it. Do you suggest it may be a waste of money? It's drives straight and true now. Also, to all of you who want to expose the irony I get it but let's move on now. It wasn't even my point at all. I want to know about the Michelins, not the MT or any other brand. As I stated before, I didn't have a lot of choicse on their website for the 305's. Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
546 Posts
The few true American Tire companies do not make a good quality tire for our car. I was going to put Mickey Thompson’s on my 14 Challenger because I had Mickey T’s L60-15’s on my 71. The Street Comps are made in China so that is a no go. The DSW’s on our SRT Jeep are made in the communist third block. I do not know where the PS4’s are made but that is what I am going to put on the Charger when it comes time as long as they are not made in China or Vietnam.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
697 Posts
If you're going from same size, to same size, I doubt that it's needed; assuming no problems with previous tire wear. 4-wheel around here will $150-ish. Michelins are made in USA, but also other countries, excluding China and Vietnam.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer said I could knock off $119 of the $1400 if I didn't want it. I think I'll do it for the peace of mind and they can't blame me later if there is an issue with the tires. And yes, I am keeping the same size.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I understand that you said you don’t like the idea of a Japanese sounding tire on your car, even if many Nittos are made specifically for and manufactured in the US Market. What I’m not understanding is why you are okay with a tire from a French company with a French sounding name on your Redeye? I currently have all three brands of tires you mentioned on wheels in my garage, so not steering you one way or the other, just trying to understand your bias.
Michelin employs over 20.000 employees in the USA alone, including myself. Its safe to say when you buy a Michelin tire, you support a lot of Familys in the USA and I’m pretty aure the pilot sport is being made in of their SC PLANTS, which employs 1100 employees alone and their employees are well taken care of and treated well👍

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat 6MT
320 Posts
Thanks for your help with the tire question!
You are most welcome. But seriously, choosing HC tires based on their names or what's available on a 25% off sale is not the best approach. Formulate what you use your car for (e.g., good weather summer diving or all-season daily), pick the best tires that you can afford (if that's an issue) for that specific purpose, and then look for the best deal. There were many good posts here on the tire selection. Trying to save $350 on a set of tires that you may end up hating (or wanting to replace with something better) for the next 45,000 miles is not the best idea, in my view. Michelins A/S are fine tires, but if you don't really drive when it's cold, you don't want to buy them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Michelin employs over 20.000 employees in the USA alone, including myself. Its safe to say when you buy a Michelin tire, you support a lot of Familys in the USA and I’m pretty aure the pilot sport is being made in of their SC PLANTS, which employs 1100 employees alone and their employees are well taken care of and treated well👍
Good to know thank you...

·
Registered
546 Posts
You are most welcome. But seriously, choosing HC tires based on their names or what's available on a 25% off sale is not the best approach. Formulate what you use your car for (e.g., good weather summer diving or all-season daily), pick the best tires that you can afford (if that's an issue) for that specific purpose, and then look for the best deal. There were many good posts here on the tire selection. Trying to save $350 on a set of tires that you may end up hating (or wanting to replace with something better) for the next 45,000 miles is not the best idea, in my view. Michelins A/S are fine tires, but if you don't really drive when it's cold, you don't want to buy them.
May I ask why you say this? We had Michelin’s on our 2008 SRT Charger plus dedicated winter tires but we found the Michelin AS tires to work really well as the Charger was the wife’s DD. We only ran our winter snow and ice tires from November to March.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat 6MT
320 Posts
May I ask why you say this? We had Michelin’s on our 2008 SRT Charger plus dedicated winter tires but we found the Michelin AS tires to work really well as the Charger was the wife’s DD. We only ran our winter snow and ice tires from November to March.
Because, even staying with Michelins, their summer PS4S is a much better tire than their Pilots AS4 as long as the temperature is above 40F or so. Making sure that a tire works in a wider range of temperatures inevitably leads to compromised performance, everything else being equal.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Because, even staying with Michelins, their summer PS4S is a much better tire than their Pilots AS4 as long as the temperature is above 40F or so. Making sure that a tire works in a wider range of temperatures inevitably leads to compromised performance, everything else being equal.
Thanks for the response. Our Charger came with F1 Supercars and those tires got scary when temps dropped below 45. When they wore out at about 12K we went to the Michelin AS and the wife really liked them and we got about 28K out of these tires.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the response. Our Charger came with F1 Supercars and those tires got scary when temps dropped below 45. When they wore out at about 12K we went to the Michelin AS and the wife really liked them and we got about 28K out of these tires.
The issue for me is I'm looking for an all season for here in the St Louis area and not a summer tire. I don't drive it the snow or rain but I don't want to be hindered if the temperature gets below 40. I also don't want any more chips than I have to and don't like the look of the mud flaps or rock guards. So, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for the year around tire.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts