SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Mishimoto magnetic oil plug

18K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  Jettster 
#1 ·
Is anyone using these and can give me a review? Saw a popular hellcat YouTuber using one. Amazon reviews are mixed..

#36 · (Edited)
LOLz I asked whoever makes those for a quote on all the plugs for trans, engine, rear end, explaining I wanted to get some before I took my car in to get fluids changed and dyno runs done.

Two weeks or so AFTER the date I needed the plugs, I got an email with a phone number. Literally, that was it. No quote, no info.

Anticipating another abysmal customer service disaster, I had already ordered cylindrical magnets from KJ Magnetics which I placed in the Allen key recesses in the drain/fill plugs (they are super magnets, so they stay there on their own and magnetize the whole plug) and some bar magnets that are magnetized North-South through their thin side, not longitudinally. I slapped ten of those on my oil filter, and populated drain and fill plugs with the cylinder magnets.

Customer service rating for whomever makes the gold drain plugs: minus infinite.

Customer service rating for KJ magnetics: okay. I didn't need any info from them. Their site was plainly laid out and I could pick what I needed.

One advantage of a site with a very wide selection of super magnets is that it got my mind working about other places I could use magnets.

They can hold a wrench nicely, hold a door closed in some small fashion if they are integrated into the hinge (you could put some glue on a bar magnet, shove it in the hole where you removed one of the hinge screws, and shut the door for a few hours while the glue dried.) A variety of things that you would not think of until you saw VERY strong magnets at work.

Don't get your fingers between two of them, whatever you do. You may feel like Drew Barrymore's character in Irreconcilable Differences.

#14 ·
I can help with Dimple products-they use a neodynium magnet way more powerful than any other.
For the record magnetic plugs have been around a long time-Toyota uses them on trans and rear end drain plugs-there is a long term benefit-short term just feel good-our trans A8 already has magnets in the pan-all euro stuff does too...some people want to spend $6000 on paint protection...this is $35...just sayin' lol...

#15 ·
My car came to me with the Dimples in pan and cooler with 900 miles. When I changed oil at 2000 there was a decent amount of metal on the pan plug-very little on drain. These baby's are very powerful-you can pick up a heavy wrench with them easily. When I changed again at 5000 miles there was less metal-very little-I also have a catch can and it gets half full in between these short interval changes-prog snake oil too lol...but when I change the rear end soon it will be getting a Dimple in the drain position-cheap insurance or Voodoo?

#16 ·
I wouldn't call it snake oil, but I'd say the chances of it really helping are small. However, as others have said, it can't hurt, and it certainly should take some smaller metal particles out of the oil. For $35, if it makes you feel better, why not?
Many of us use higher priced oil filters that have high efficiency at low micron particle size, and we buy those filters for a reason. This is along the same line of reasoning.

#17 ·
Agreed-just like Nitrogen filled tires, only washing with a foam cannon and 2-3 buckets, never going to boost until oil temp is at 140, not driving in bad weather even rain, keeping garaged or covered...all can help with preservation but the reality is most of us will get bored and get something else well before the car has more than minor wear and tear...yeah I use Mopar Mobil1 or Pure1 filters-you can get a stainless steel filter that you can just clean and reassemble at each oil change for $100-cool stuff that is fun, feels good, and does no harm...

#18 ·
Anyone ever hear of one of these Dimple plugs breaking off in the pan? It has a big magnet so not much metal left for the threads. I suppose if you torqued it much over the 20 ft-lbs?

#19 ·
Not yet but it is possible-these are hand made here in the USA started out of a garage by a retired Veteran and the build quality is excellent as the pics show. The most stress on the bolt only starts as you tighten to fully torqued down, and then is on the bolt head. Have yet to have a complaint or failure I am aware of...

#25 ·
I once pulled an injector plunger out of the oil pan with one of these on a customer's explorer. We knew the truck wasn't running right, but that sure did make troubleshooting go a lot faster. I like magnetic plugs, but along with some of the other people, I think it just makes me feel better.

#26 ·
There is no firm switch over date I am aware of but '15 and some '16 have an M12 in the cooler-late '16 to current have the same M14 plug as the oil pan. The best way to know is either change your own or have the tech show you both plugs...sorry not a definitive answer-maybe someone knows the real deal?

#27 ·
Anyone ever bear of a filter mag?
I bought one years ago for my speed boat.
It has strong magnets in it and it just sticks to the side of the oil filter. The idea is all the oil goes through the filter and the magnet traps it. I cut a filter open at the end of the boating season once and was surprised how much metal was cought by the filter. I wonder if it would be safe to use it on my kitty ?

#28 ·
I work for a large heavy equipment company and many filters come equipped with magnets. For those applications, I think it is great. Do you need one? Probably not. Will it make you feel better? Absolutely. I'd say go for it. If you're anal, cut the filters open and check them out. If you like graphs and a more complete understanding of what's happening inside the engine, go to your local Cat dealership and get some oil sample kits. I really like these on diesel engines, but don't keep any gas engines long enough to justify the expense, thought it is not expensive by any means. The true value in these is seeing changes over the course of ownership and potentially avoiding a catastrophic failure. When I built engines, I would do the oil analysis on the second oil change to have peace of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.