SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
365 Posts
Is the oil cooler plug the same size as the engine pan plug?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
499 Posts
My 2016 has two different sizes.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
646 Posts
I once pulled an injector plunger out of the oil pan with one of these on a customer's explorer. We knew the truck wasn't running right, but that sure did make troubleshooting go a lot faster. I like magnetic plugs, but along with some of the other people, I think it just makes me feel better.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,114 Posts
There is no firm switch over date I am aware of but '15 and some '16 have an M12 in the cooler-late '16 to current have the same M14 plug as the oil pan. The best way to know is either change your own or have the tech show you both plugs...sorry not a definitive answer-maybe someone knows the real deal?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
946 Posts
Anyone ever bear of a filter mag?
I bought one years ago for my speed boat.
It has strong magnets in it and it just sticks to the side of the oil filter. The idea is all the oil goes through the filter and the magnet traps it. I cut a filter open at the end of the boating season once and was surprised how much metal was cought by the filter. I wonder if it would be safe to use it on my kitty ?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
646 Posts
Anyone ever bear of a filter mag?
I bought one years ago for my speed boat.
It has strong magnets in it and it just sticks to the side of the oil filter. The idea is all the oil goes through the filter and the magnet traps it. I cut a filter open at the end of the boating season once and was surprised how much metal was cought by the filter. I wonder if it would be safe to use it on my kitty ?
I work for a large heavy equipment company and many filters come equipped with magnets. For those applications, I think it is great. Do you need one? Probably not. Will it make you feel better? Absolutely. I'd say go for it. If you're anal, cut the filters open and check them out. If you like graphs and a more complete understanding of what's happening inside the engine, go to your local Cat dealership and get some oil sample kits. I really like these on diesel engines, but don't keep any gas engines long enough to justify the expense, thought it is not expensive by any means. The true value in these is seeing changes over the course of ownership and potentially avoiding a catastrophic failure. When I built engines, I would do the oil analysis on the second oil change to have peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,114 Posts
We have a set of 4 magnets that are designed for that-they are called black holes you just put them around the oil filter sides.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
946 Posts
I probably wouldn't go out and buy a new one but I already have one I got from over a decade ago so I might as well use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't checked to see if the drain plugs are ferrous yet. If they are, you could get some rare earth magnets and stick them on the head of your ferrous OEM bolts and on your oil filter. Instant magnetic particle traps for ferrous OEM stuff for next to nothing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
163 Posts
One thing to remember is oil to pump is not filtered,oil is filtered after the pump before engine,so is not bad idea to keep metal debris out of pump.i have been too lazy lately to install in my cat but used to run magnet in all my cars.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts