SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased my Charger WB from a large GM dealer in Houston, TX. It was a 2022 with 200 miles on it, I assume an investment car as they had a few HC's a JB and a RE all with 200 miles being sold as pre-owned.

On the invoice it showed a charge for a "Theft protection package" from safepoint, which is simply a gps unit. I know this racket, dealers purchase them for inventory management and open lot insurance savings, then sell them to the purchaser as a dealer add on. They were charging me $1,200.00 for it lol. I shook them down, they insisted that it was mandatory and I paid $200.00ish, which included a three year subscription.

I received one red key and one black key. My 2016 came with two of each but I've seen lots of people saying they only got one of each. So I figured it was legit.

A day after taking delivery, my sales guy calls and says that he "found" another red key when he returned to the dealership. He had some paperwork to overnight so he dropped the key in the document envelope. I receive the fed ex and dun, dun, dunnnn. No key, envelope is cut open and taped shut. Salesman calls fed ex and they don't have it.

So now I'm thinking great... I have a car that can be tracked by the dealership and it's employees as I'm sure they still have access though the account in now in my name. And a missing key floating around someplace. I called a dodge dealer to see what would be the safest route but they had no idea and needed to look into it. They can't reprogram the keys or remove the lost key somehow, so I'm not sure what they will come up with.

Thought about having the selling dealer pay for a Ravelco but don't want to lose the remote start feature.

I know I should probably pull the gps out but the tightwad in me is having a hard time trashing the three year subscription. lol

Anyway, any insight and options that I may not be considering would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
4 Posts
I would speak to gm of dealership and request them to reprogram the key system at their expense and provide you 3 new keys. They caused the problem, they should incur the expense to resolve it to your satisfaction correctly. If not willing to cooperate, I have had luck posting BBB complaints it gets their attention a little better.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
8,690 Posts
Yes that's it, they must provide a new red key and then reprogram all three to a new code. And he really should have the door locks rekeyed and the manual keys inside the Fobs recut. Yes a lot of work and expense but he started it with the bull crap about only getting two keys.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,338 Posts
I would speak to gm of dealership and request them to reprogram the key system at their expense and provide you 3 new keys. They caused the problem, they should incur the expense to resolve it to your satisfaction correctly. If not willing to cooperate, I have had luck posting BBB complaints it gets their attention a little better.
... and get an attorney...

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that's it, they must provide a new red key and then reprogram all three to a new code. And he really should have the door locks rekeyed and the manual keys inside the Fobs recut. Yes a lot of work and expense but he started it with the bull crap about only getting two keys.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm afraid that's where it's all headed. I was hoping there may be a simpler solution but that's hard to imagine. Thanks for your input Gents!

·
Registered
2022 Frostbite SS Ordered 03/24/22, DELIVERED 08/12/2022
484 Posts
I assume you are not local to the dealer? One reason I love my dealer being 3 miles from my house, nothing gets mailed! I just pick it up on my way home from work. Agree with everyone else, they should solve this problem with new keys and a reprogram!

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume you are not local to the dealer? One reason I love my dealer being 3 miles from my house, nothing gets mailed! I just pick it up on my way home from work. Agree with everyone else, they should solve this problem with new keys and a reprogram!
Naw... They are about 220 miles from me. I think most likely fed-ex removed it because it didn't belong in the document envelope, but I just can't be sure. If I could know that 100%, I'd take $500.00 from the selling dealer and call it a day.

Funny enough, the sales guy told me that one of the dealership employees was in love with the car and had been trying his ass off to buy it lol. But I can't imagine it would be good for anything but a chop shop once stolen.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you all think about the GPS? Am I being paranoid or would you consider a connection between that and the missing key? Would you pull it out?

Does anybody have experience with safepoint?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Seems like some dealers like to retain keys on these cars, probably to make repo easier.

I bought my used HC from an independent dealer also in Houston. They also played a game with
not having the Red key. I said that's a big problem and then they magically found the Red key.
I got one Red and one Black.

They didn't think I could hear them, but I overheard another sales guy asking my sales guy
about "giving him the Red key". My sales guy said it's ok since I had a very large down payment
and solid financing.

It's scummy to be playing games like that.

ETA: I don't think the missing key is really a security issue, it's maybe truly lost and nothing to
tie it to your car. Doesn't really matter, you should put a kill switch on the car anyway.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like some dealers like to retain keys on these cars, probably to make repo easier.

I bought my used HC from an independent dealer also in Houston. They also played a game with
not having the Red key. I said that's a big problem and then they magically found the Red key.
I got one Red and one Black.

They didn't think I could hear them, but I overheard another sales guy asking my sales guy
about "giving him the Red key". My sales guy said it's ok since I had a very large down payment
and solid financing.

It's scummy to be playing games like that.

ETA: I don't think the missing key is really a security issue, it's maybe truly lost and nothing to
tie it to your car. Doesn't really matter, you should put a kill switch on the car anyway.
Had this thought and I can see that if it were an in house finance situation. But it's not. $20k down and a business loan for the remainder with me as personal guarantor. So no reason they would ever be in a position to repo. I wouldn't be surprised if they held one key until the docs are in and the loan is financed, especially delivering to another city.

Man, I know. I also am not convinced that the key would ever get linked to my car. My achilles heel on that approach is this nagging feeling that somebody at the dealership snagged the key and can watch the stupid gps for the opportune time. Way long shot and I give it a 95% that it's just lost but these cars are about to be so difficult to replace that the 5% chance is stuck on my brain like herpes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd say before you escalate to getting a lawyer etc, Just contact the GM and let him know that it's bullshit you spent all this money on a 200 mile car and you weren't given the 3 keys that it came from the factory with. I'm sure he'll make it right over a few hundred bucks, unless the dealer you bought from are scum.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd say before you escalate to getting a lawyer etc, Just contact the GM and let him know that it's bullshit you spent all this money on a 200 mile car and you weren't given the 3 keys that it came from the factory with. I'm sure he'll make it right over a few hundred bucks, unless the dealer you bought from are scum.
No concerns beyond the three keys? Do you find the theft scenario unlikely?

Im pretty sure I can get the sales guy make it right. I just need to figure out what approach I want to take. If he won't, I'll walk it right up the chain for sure.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,620 Posts
its a used car. you can go buy a key from a dodge dealer and pay them to program it.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Don't think that would be legal?

Originally HC were supposed to come with two red and one black key. Theft scenario is very likely, don't underestimate the security risk these cars are. If it's used you can check what they listed on the invoice when they purchased it from previous owner. If it was a missing black key I wouldn't worry about it but you do want a second red key or you'll be stuck in 500 HP for no reason if it breaks or gets lost. I don't remember exactly but I think I was told it's $750 for a new one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No concerns beyond the three keys? Do you find the theft scenario unlikely?

Im pretty sure I can get the sales guy make it right. I just need to figure out what approach I want to take. If he won't, I'll walk it right up the chain for sure.
I wouldn't worry about the theft end of it, even if someone with malicious intent has the key they don't know which car it belongs to. Plus hellcats are pretty easy to steal without keys, or so I've been lead to believe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unless a dealer is a buy here pay here type deal, they wouldn't be the ones repossessing the car. Once the dealers get payment through the bank used for financing it is the banks responsibility, Or if the client pays cash then it's nobody's to repossess.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts