SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if it was possible to run a couple of gallons of E85 to a full tank of 93oct? I am running the Deatchworks 1000's that are E85 compatible but how about the rest of the hellcat fuel system,is it capable of running E85?

Thanks

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,850 Posts
Fuel system is rated for 91 oct with up to 10% eth or higher. If you want to run E85, it'll require a tune.

753RWHP - e85 Tuned Hellcat

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,850 Posts
I dont want to run e85 the whole time,just want to add a gallon or 2 to a full tank of 93oct just to help raise the octane a little when im running the car hard or on the dyno.
Probably get with HHP or Serious HP to discuss tuning, the stock hellcat fuel system capabilities.

We read about mixing fuels but I'd rather get some solid feedback from the tuners.

Could save you and your engine a lot of money.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably get with HHP or Serious HP to discuss tuning, the stock hellcat fuel system capabilities.

We read about mixing fuels but I'd rather get some solid feedback from the tuners.
I know Josh hasnt really messed with e85 so ill get with serious as i have seen their work with e85, thanks for the suggestions.

Could save you and your engine a lot of money.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,252 Posts
As my car was first being tuned by Josh/HHP the first "race" tune it was VP 109 mixed with 93 for the track.

Linda :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,496 Posts
I dont want to run e85 the whole time,just want to add a gallon or 2 to a full tank of 93oct just to help raise the octane a little when im running the car hard or on the dyno.
Just remember that while E85 has a higher octane number it also has a lower BTU rating. This means less energy/power per gallon. You may lose a few HP adding E85 without tuning.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just remember that while E85 has a higher octane number it also has a lower BTU rating. This means less energy/power per gallon. You may lose a few HP adding E85 without tuning.
Yeah thats what i was reading,thank you.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6 Posts
yes you can easily run a few gallons of e85 per tank with no ill effects.

On a forced induction car you should run a bit extra octane for safety as detonation is the most destructive thing to your engine.

Yes e85 has less btu than gasoline but that will not lose hp which was mentioned earlier
Let me explain what happens when you put a few gallons of e85 in to top off your tank.

-First your car's wide band will note that car is tunning a tiny bit lean while idleing and adjust short term and long term fuel trims to adjust. Typically cars can handle + - 20% fuel trims to compensate for altitude and other weather changes before throwing a check engine code.
So the car will notice it has 3 gallons of e85 per tank and it will add a few percent enrichment to the fuel map to bring it right back where it wanted to be 14.7:1 at idel and cruising. Wide open throttle maps take this in consideration and will run just fine.
All you get is a few extra octane points adding e85 which will help with detonation. I would just run the car a few miles before getting on it so the car adjusts.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,391 Posts
Mixing 40% is the max I run. You should add more fuel b/c the hellcat is lean stock but 20% is no problem. I have been running e40 in both my srt's, gt500 and my 335i bmw. The hellcat is plenty fast on the street so i have been just running 93 lately.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

On a forced induction car you should run a bit extra octane for safety as detonation is the most destructive thing to your engine.

Yes e85 has less btu than gasoline but that will not lose hp which was mentioned earlier
Let me explain what happens when you put a few gallons of e85 in to top off your tank.

-First your car's wide band will note that car is tunning a tiny bit lean while idleing and adjust short term and long term fuel trims to adjust. Typically cars can handle + - 20% fuel trims to compensate for altitude and other weather changes before throwing a check engine code.
So the car will notice it has 3 gallons of e85 per tank and it will add a few percent enrichment to the fuel map to bring it right back where it wanted to be 14.7:1 at idel and cruising. Wide open throttle maps take this in consideration and will run just fine.
All you get is a few extra octane points adding e85 which will help with detonation. I would just run the car a few miles before getting on it so the car adjusts.
Yeah i have this chart and it says it will bump it up to 95.5 with 2 gals to a full tank.

·
Vendor
Charger SRT Hellcat
479 Posts

spot on here, we add 2 gallons to a fillup, widebands can correct that and the cooling / anti detonation effects of e85 will allow your car to see the max timing on whatever it is tuned to see

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spot on here, we add 2 gallons to a fillup, widebands can correct that and the cooling / anti detonation effects of e85 will allow your car to see the max timing on whatever it is tuned to see
Thanks guys for getting back to me.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what is the safe limit of gallons you can put in without tuning? Is 3 gals safe?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,075 Posts
we usually do 2 to 2.5
Added to how many gallons of gas? Meaning I doubt everyone runs there tank to "E" pumps 2 gallon of E85 then tops off with 93? Plus there are inconsistencies with E85... especially when we get this time of year and the fuel suppliers cut back on the amount of ethanol in the fuel. You may only be pumping E77... just curious what you guys are doing to make sure you have a consistent mix.;)

·
Vendor
Charger SRT Hellcat
479 Posts
when we fill up if i'm on e, i'll put 2.5, then fill up with 93 behind it

if i'm sitting at a 1/4 tank i'll put 2 gallons in then fill with 93 behind it

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,075 Posts
OK good to know... how long have you been doing this? No Issues at all? Seems like its cheaper than going the octane booster route. I've been using NOS Oct Boost which is supposed to raise it 31 points... or 3.1 Octane. So with 93 it should be around 96 Octane???

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,391 Posts
I have used 5 gallons on my charger per 93 full tank. Normally I will run 3 per full tank on 93.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts