SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Today i took my new RedEye to a complete detailing and they sent me some pictures of different parts with a lot of mold. Specially for a car that doesnt even has 400 miles yet. I guess that the car was in the dealership for more than a year, it is a 2019 and that could be one of the reasons along with being outdoors and close to the coast. The dealership is considerably close to a beach. Not sure is that is a factor.

Also some part were painted over... this is really frustrating... here in Puerto Rico this car goes well over 100k to find this kind of BS.

Is this mold covered by the warranty? Anything i can do? I havent even made my first payment yet.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,071 Posts
I see some surface rust but it is hard to tell if there is mold in your photos. If you have mold on the undercarriage, you can scrub it off with some bleach and soapy water and brushes. You can try to get the surface rust off with steel wool and kerosene. Wash it off afterwards. Eastwood also sells a spray paint that will encapsulate the rust and blacken it. I would only be asking the dealer for help if you had mold on the interior. Most new cars get surface rust on the uncoated steel parts, nuts and bolts on the suspension. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,512 Posts
I only see rust. What youre seeing is rust from a car that I would bet money was built during the winter months and was shipped in wintry/salty weather. This is a very well known issue and exactly why I always order in spring so that I know my car will be built and shipped during the spring/summer and wont be sitting and rotting after being transported on salty wet winter roads. Take a look at your production date on the door jam sticker and see when it was built.
It looks worse than it is tbh. Like Silver Bullet said, it can be cleaned up but it’s still a shame and I would be annoyed to say the least.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, Im a newbie in all this lifestyle, just beginning to learn this kinds of stuff. But if this is just 'normal' then ill just take care of it myself. I just thought that this shouldnt happen to a brand new car.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only see rust. What youre seeing is rust from a car that I would bet money was built during the winter months and was shipped in wintry/salty weather. This is a very well known issue and exactly why I always order in spring so that I know my car will be built and shipped during the spring/summer and wont be sitting and rotting after being transported on salty wet winter roads. Take a look at your production date on the door jam sticker and see when it was built.
It looks worse than it is tbh. Like Silver Bullet said, it can be cleaned up but it’s still a shame and I would be annoyed to say the least.
The was made in Canada, March 2019.Close enough to winter. You are right.. close enough to winter.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,512 Posts
I'd call FCA and complain may get a new car??
Never gonna happen. All exposed raw steel will develop surface rust when exposed to salt and moisture. OP’s looks ugly but is actually very common.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,249 Posts
First, welcome @BiggiePR!

Sitting near the coast for a year did not help. That promoted the surface rust. Nothing wrong with it op, but if it was mine, I would be cleaning and protecting it like recommended in post #3. Matter of fact it looks like it needs sprayed well with clean water. That area/piece has been the source of many posts by people who did not expect the surface corrosion. If you really hate what you have there and have a few bucks remaining after your purchase, and want to 100% eliminate the piece and replace it with jewelry that has excellent function and won’t ever look like that, get a pair of these. If you ever want to track the car, these also offer easy camber adjustments.

While the rust remains on the knuckle, the top control arm has three robust new style, “Spheriflex teflon impregnated Delrin spherical bushings”. It will clean that right up and be one hell of a first mod. Mine...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,106 Posts
The surface rust doesn't look too terribly bad and can be cleaned up as mentioned. It looks like someone brushed paint on it though?

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
993 Posts
Looks bad I agree... I’ve learned to try and overcome these things... go out drive that MF hard enjoy it for a few years and go get another 1 it’ll be the same thing. No car you buy from any manufacture will be perfect.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
You ought to see the mold in my coffee cups that I have left out in the shop for 3 weeks though😜💀 Now that is deadly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts