SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2018 Charger SRT Hellcat. I was looking around on the MOPAR site for performance goodies and came across the MOPAR CAI Kit (Part #77072436). It said it could be installed on my car. It looks like it has an adapter that bolts under the hood that has intakes that "snap" into the center hood scoop. This runs, via duct work over to an air box that's larger and supports a large, conical air filter. It looks like the scoop and ductwork (which is attached to the hood) comes down and seals over the intake air box when the hood is closed.

So my question: Does anyone have this on their Hellcat and if so, does it seal over the intake like it looks so rain / water coming in through the driver side heat extractor vent doesn't go into the air intake box???

Thanks.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
158 Posts
When I look up that part number, it shows it fits 392 Challenger's with the T/A hood. I don't think it will work with your Charger Hellcat.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I look up that part number, it shows it fits 392 Challenger's with the T/A hood. I don't think it will work with your Charger Hellcat.
If you go to this link: 2006-2021 Dodge Cold Air Intake 77072436 | Mopar Estores

And look under "Vehicle Fitment", it has this:

2018 Dodge ChargerDaytona, Daytona 392, GT, GT Plus, R/T, R/T Scat Pack, SRT 392, SRT Hellcat, SXT, SXT Plus3.6L V6 - Flex, 3.6L V6 - Gas, 5.7L V8 - Gas, 6.2L V8 - Gas, 6.4L V8 - Gas

That's one of the reasons I was asking the forum to see if anyone has done this.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will not work. The ductwork will not clear the super charger.
I'm inclined to agree, but if you look at the Installation instructions and the picture of the actual duct work, it looks like the duct work stays towards the forward part of the center hood scoop which might be forward enough of the SC. One of the reasons I was hoping someone had tried it, but cause the Vehicle Fitment lists the 2018 Charger SRT Hellcat. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to go with the JLT CAI, but I was hoping to get a little more "ram air" into the intake which is why I was hoping the center hood scoop kit would work.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,004 Posts
If you go to this link: 2006-2021 Dodge Cold Air Intake 77072436 | Mopar Estores

And look under "Vehicle Fitment", it has this:

2018 Dodge ChargerDaytona, Daytona 392, GT, GT Plus, R/T, R/T Scat Pack, SRT 392, SRT Hellcat, SXT, SXT Plus3.6L V6 - Flex, 3.6L V6 - Gas, 5.7L V8 - Gas, 6.2L V8 - Gas, 6.4L V8 - Gas

That's one of the reasons I was asking the forum to see if anyone has done this.
Yeah I saw that too, on a couple sites, and started questioning it as well BUT the included instructions say it's specifically for the Challenger only.
The hood insert from the Challenger is different from the Charger too, so the included hood insert with that kit wouldn't even fit and that's what the duct attaches to.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I saw that too, on a couple sites, and started questioning it as well BUT the included instructions say it's specifically for the Challenger only.
The hood insert from the Challenger is different from the Charger too, so the included hood insert with that kit wouldn't even fit and that's what the duct attaches to.
I was asking the guys in at the dealership parts house about it and all they could do was parrot what the computer said. Was hoping someone tried it. I have one more option. There is a Dodge dealership in NC called Steve White Dodge that specialized in upgrading Dodge Chargers / Challengers with various performance parts. I guess I could call them and see if they've done this mod.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Charger Hellcat
207 Posts
I haven't seen this intake on any of the HC. I have seen maybe a 2 or 3 on the 5.7s. Even then, better can be had for less.

Any reason why you want this one over the more popular JLT, LMI, BWoody, and AFe? That MOPAR CAI is showing for over $650.

I have ran the LMI and now use the AFe. I know a lot of guys that run the JLT as well.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not exactly "wanting this more" over the JLT or LMI, it's just those units receive air from the fender area and the intake tube behind the front bumper. This unit looks like that air will still be available, but adds air "rammed" in from the center hood scoop. One thing is that this air will be cooler and will be "forced" as the car goes faster (hence the Ram Air moniker). I was just exploring the various options. The JLT and LMI appear to add to the SC whine. I'm just looking for more intake air from any extra sources, especially if I can get it from a "cooler" location like outside the car. At speed, this air should flow into the SC faster than it can absorb a lot of heat from the air box so that gives you a cooler air charge. I've seen where folks have said they've added the JLT or LMI and got great SC whine, but their Intake Air temperatures went up a bit. I'm trying to avoid that by sourcing from another location that might provide a cooler air charge, that's all.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
11 Posts
I have a 17 HC Charger and it shows to fit mine as well—all year Charger HC’s for that matter. I have not done a CAI for the same reasons as you—don’t like increased air temps, or adding a “rain shield“ to keep it dry (which I have also heard negates some of the sound folks are looking for). This looks like it answers those problems. Let me know if you figure out whether it will work on your Charger or not.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,004 Posts
Side note.....even if the hood insert is the same/fits....the mesh/grille pattern is different on the Challenger versus the Charger, so it wouldn't match anyways.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 17 HC Charger and it shows to fit mine as well—all year Charger HC’s for that matter. I have not done a CAI for the same reasons as you—don’t like increased air temps, or adding a “rain shield“ to keep it dry (which I have also heard negates some of the sound folks are looking for). This looks like it answers those problems. Let me know if you figure out whether it will work on your Charger or not.
I will, but everything I'm hearing on this forum is that it won't. There's a Dodge place nearby that does Dodge Performance upgrades, including SC additions to regular 5.7L HEMI's, and I am going to try to get in touch with them. At one time I saw this same mod offered on their website so maybe they've solved / have the answer about the grill / SC clearance issue.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JLT CAI is far superior to this molar setup.
JLT CAI is far superior to this molar setup.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen the YouTube videos for the JLT setup and it's nice. I'm a little concerned about the rain shield you install under the driver side heat extractor port as it doesn't look like the piece I saw them installing would seal very well. The grill on mine has little tabs on the bottom that I think would keep the Lexon piece you install from sealing flush. That being said, I like the sound it opens up on the SC, but I'm always looking for more ways to bring in cooler air and a "ram air" type setup off of the center hood scoop would be an ideal way to do it. That's why I was interested in it. I'm also looking at the FI heat spacers, thermal blanket under the SC, and ultimately doing the A/C Interchiller Mod.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have 2018 Charger SRT Hellcat. I was looking around on the MOPAR site for performance goodies and came across the MOPAR CAI Kit (Part #77072436). It said it could be installed on my car. It looks like it has an adapter that bolts under the hood that has intakes that "snap" into the center hood scoop. This runs, via duct work over to an air box that's larger and supports a large, conical air filter. It looks like the scoop and ductwork (which is attached to the hood) comes down and seals over the intake air box when the hood is closed.

So my question: Does anyone have this on their Hellcat and if so, does it seal over the intake like it looks so rain / water coming in through the driver side heat extractor vent doesn't go into the air intake box???

Thanks.
Had one on my Scat Pack. Loved it! Having said that, doubt it would fit on my Hellcat. Supercharger sticks up more than the intake on my Scat.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,103 Posts
I just got a K&N kit, and they had different rain shields for either car.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gotcha...yeah he was wanting to put that (Challenger) kit onto a Charger though
I'd love to and according to the MOPAR Vehicle Applicability chart it's supposed to work, but like some have said, the SC will get in the way. I wish MOPAR had their shit together.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts