SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know generally the fewer previous owners on a used car the better but it seems like every car I find has already had 3 to 4 previous owners. These are all 2015 and 16 cars. Do people really turn these cars over that much? Seems one owner has the car for a couple years then they change hands every year after that. Why is that? I know condition is key but with normal cars that's a red flag, same for the hellcat.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,498 Posts
I think it’s very common for high end cars to change hands a few times. Most people seem to buy them and garage them for a year or two and move on. It’s one of those scratch an itch type thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
⬆ FACTS ⬆

Reactions: SRTCVO

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,316 Posts
I've got a 2 owner (First was a leaser) unabused 16 manual I might be selling. I bought it at 21k miles for $47k so the prices you listed above are rather good deals. I would avoid the less than 2k mile one though. There's a reason its got that little of mileage..

I think you're safe buying a 4 or 5 year old cat with 3 owners. If I sold mine it would go to a 3rd owner, and If they never drove it (which for some reason most people garage their car, I drive mine when I can) and it got flipped again there'd be 4 peeps on Carfax, and I would still consider buying it.

Dodge built these cars so resilient that I don't think its a big gamble (relatively speaking, if there were signs of engine mods like pulley or spray, avoid) to get one after a few owners had it. I think my cars only flaw when I received it was the previous owner had one of those front lip skid plate kits on it and when they removed it they left a bunch of double sided 3m tape so the front lip was trash looking. $150 for a new one and some time and it was easily fixed.

He already put a McLeod clutch in it, buddies say its because he probably fried the stock one but honestly Idc what he did to the stock one I got a $1700 clutch with the car.

As long as they kept up on the big points of wear and tear (rotor rings, pads, tires etc.) you can tell a lot about a previous owners nature. I just dropped some coin on new DBA rotor rings, even though the factory Brembo's are still within spec at 31mm thickness. Just wanna swap them around so if I do sell it'd be original.

Just be careful. Don't buy one without a test drive. Have them put it on a lift. Your best course of action for engine issues is when the sales guy and you are talking, turn it on to warm it up. Draw the conversation out longer and let all that exhaust build up in the cats. When you first get ready to drive rev it rather violently and see if it dumps a bunch of smoke out the exhaust. The cats will trap all that smoke that would've rather been unnoticed (if there is any).

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,109 Posts
I see zero issues with either of these cars. That sublime is a fantastic price, and the white is not bad either. Maybe the guy bought one of those unlimited alignment packages and was getting his monies worth...... or, it is just bs that the dealer added on the service.
I bought my car in 2019 with 4,000 miles on it, some people just bought a hellcat to have a hellcat, makes me laugh that people really question low mileage.
Honestly, carfax and autocheck reports are only good for showing purchases, registrations, and mileage. The service end can be complete bs, all what the dealer wants you to see. If a dodge dealer put a motor in out of warranty and didn't want you to know, it would not be on there.
Just saying.....

Reactions: BrakeFade
1 - 8 of 8 Posts