SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Honorable mention was a Chrysler Newport I built to be similar to the Blues Brothers car--didn't go full on police paint and left it solid White. The unit was an ex Missouri Highway patrol car and was in decent shape and mechanically pretty sound. It was a 440 and of course was geared very tall. I installed the largest (lift and duration) Crane Hydrualic lift cam made at the time and recarbed. It was hilarious--the car would turn 75 mph in 1st gear and wouldn't quit pulling. Of course it had no guts around town but it sounded ridiculous and was unbeatable on the highway. We would have a carload of guys and be traveling between towns on Saturday nights and routinely blow Z28's and Mustangs off the road--they couldn't believe it when that huge fender pulled along side and blew past them.. we would start laughing as we pulled along side at speed and just rolled on.. It was just an outrage to drive and too much fun! I think I have 1 pic of it in Minnesota on a deer hunt of all things. Will post it up too!

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
More Cobra pics: I loved this car and had a lot of fun taking pictures of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I built what I believe is the world's best Bullitt Mustang, owned a ERA 65 FE 427 Cobra and now the Redeye among my builds and collections over the years. I also built a Gator McCluskey White lightning car, but will post that up later. All very different cars and I can't pick a favorite. I also built an incredible 68 Charger to match the Bullitt Mustang--it was a killer driving car with a 440 Wedge physically identical to the movie car. Will dig up those pics too. I have built dozens of cars, but these 3 are on my mind tonight.
1.) The Bullitt Mustang was a Candian owned 68 C Fastback that I had shipped into the U.S. under NAFTA rules and eventually picked up and drove right out of Oakland port and straight into a shop and immediately tore it apart.. It was a total nut and bolt rebuild and I spent a fortune building it. I installed a Ford Motorsports 392 circle track racing engine, Tremec 5 speed, Currie industires locker diff and had Maier Racing install a custom roll bar that you had to look twice to see, as it was perfectly tucked into back sail panels. I had it painted Highland Green. Physically it looked identical to the Bullitt Movie car. Yet it was just one hell of alot more powerful than the movie car and it was incredibly fast car--it sounded like a circle track car. The car still resides in the Bay Area.
2.) The ERA Cobra was a FE 427 side oiler with a 428 crank (454) and 545 dyno power and about 2,200 lbs. I originally had a toploader and later went to a Tremec 5 speed. This car was just incredible from 0-160. I was never beaten by any car and it was pure fun to toy with Ferrari's around the Bay Area. It was a great looking car at Alice's Restaurant! The car now resides in New York.
The Gator McCluskey car was a stroked 429 and yeilded 472 inches. It was the meanest looking car I ever built--will have to post those pics by the weekend. That car still resides in San Francisco.
Now the Redeye--I just find it almost incomprehensible that a warranted car has 800 h.p. and is capable of routinely running 10 second quarters and 200 m.p.h... I still love all the builds I have done but the HellCat platform sets a new bar in automotive production that I just wouldn't have believed was possible when I was building and fabricating years ago.
I know this is a Hellcat website but I will post several if my builds in coming days and weeks many of my builds. I hope that's o.k.. Thank for looking!

View attachment 504271

View attachment 504273

View attachment 504275
I gotta

I gotta ask about the Gator car - was it a brown 1971 4-door LTD hardtop? '71 are the best - gotta be a 4-door. I've been keeping an eye for one - 385 series are very easy to build 600 CID with a stock 2-bolt block you can get 572 pretty easy 4.440 bore and the 4.5 stroke, get alot of torque out of it. I'd love to see pics of yours - the Bullitt Mustang looks beautiful as does the Cobra - nice work.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nice rides. I saw a gator car for sale around 10 years ago at a classic car consignment in Dublin ca. I believe the name was kassabian it’s now in Livermore ca called my hot cars. Yours is the only other one I have seen cool.

·
Registered
472 Posts
OK...I've never understood the fascination with the Bullitt Mustang. It was an unattractive color as far as Mustangs go. It was also a 390 powered car, a sort of mid-pack optioned vehicle. Most of all, I read an article by the film makers wherein they noted the Charger was an animal compared to the Mustang...they had to film several shots over because the Charger kept catching the Mustang and eventually had to limit the throttle to slow the Charger down. They said the Charger was much faster and also out-handled the Mustang. You don't see anyone in the Mopar world getting misty-eyed over the Charger... I guess it's all cuz Steve McQueen drove the Mustang. Then, I guess we do have 40,000 General Lee copies floating around..... Everyone wants to be someone else who's better than they are. Well, I'd type more but I gotta go see if I can mix my new Jimi Hendrix outfit with my Richard Rawlings pants.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts