SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Did you get beat buying a used hellcat?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.Be ready to walk away! Hard to do, but you'll be better off in the end. Unless, its the car for you, like in my case.
2.Carfax and auto check REQUIRED, or dont buy it. (SEE #1) Not worth the risk for a high $ car. That being said, they are only so good...
3.Research the vehicle vin online. After you purchase you can go to the DMV anywhere it was titled/registered and get copies of previous owners if you now have the title in your name
4.Check google LAST and BBB reviews FIRST. Last dealership had all 5's on google, and a crap load of 1/5 BBB reviews and complaints, also google search the sales guy. research everything and anything
5.Ask a lot of questions, both about the car and the sales guy personally, keep them off guard and you can catch them telling the truth sometimes, if they're trying to beat you
6.Act dumb and play stupid, the less they know about you the better
7.Good to have a bank involved, they have big attorneys to safeguard their $
8.DO NOT BUY from someplace that isn't a real Dealership, unless its a private owner.
9.Learn everything you can about vehicle inspection before you go look at it. There are always signs of problems if you know what to look for.. examples:
-panel gaps, should all be close, so real tight on one side and real wide on the other, something moved, ie car was in an accident
-paint finish on hardware, if its chipped/worn, it might indicate it was taken apart for a reason. Why? id the real question.
-overspray, masking tape under car, in wheel wells... car was in a body shop
-fluids.. do they smell burned?
-overall condition of the vehicle, was it beat or taken car of?
-look behind interior panels/under car etc. REALLY LOOK AT THE CAR WHEN THE SALES GUY ISN'T AROUND
This list is too much to write, but you get the idea
10.If you dont know a lot about cars, take someone who does, even if you have to pay them. Tell the sales guy he's your brother. Then LISTEN to what that guy says. He's the expert, thats why you're paying him.
11. Ask for the service records and vehicle inspection reports from a dealership. in my case the dealer said they were for "internal use only" that was when i knew something was wrong. Any good dealer will be ore than happy to provide them.
12. Caveat Emptor, buyer beware, you get what you pay for etc.. ALL TRUE
13. Buy a paint thickness gauge Learn how to use it. It will find body filler and body damage that was fixed.
14. Look at a lot of cars, like you were going to buy them. Practice makes perfect
15. Buy a lot of cheap cars, get beat a few times, and learn these lessons the hard way. This way when you spend a significant amount of money on one, you have experience.
16. Trust your judgement. If its too good to be true... In my case, the sales guy was too nice. But didn't really answer the important questions.
17. Everyone is human, so we all want to most $ we can get for a car, and want to hide the problems.
18. REALLY listen to what the salesman is saying , is he really answering your questions, or just feeding you lines, like mine did? Another give away.
19. If you can, take it to another dealership before you buy it. A second opinion could save the day, but again, See #1
20. USE THIS FORUM and ask questions!
21. My last thought is, no car is perfect. Is just a matter of what's wrong, and are you ok with that? Honestly, sometimes it just is what it is. Its a gamble. A crapshoot. I've bought beautiful cars that were lemons. I've bought shitboxes that just wouldn't die, and I tried my hardest. Due diligence, and maybe you'll find something good, or bad.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS BECAUSE YOU GOT BEAT, PM ME. MAYBE I CAN HELP.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
VERY IMPORTANT!

KEEP RECORDS/DOCUMENTS/EMAILS/TEXT MESSAGES/PHOTOS/NOTES, IN CASE YOU DO GET BEAT YOU HAVE EVIDENCE. It may not help, but it could very well be a life saver. These cars are very expensive, so don't rush into things. i spent years finding mine, waiting for the right one. I did all my due diligence, and still ended up with a $4300 repair bill before i even had a chance to drive the car.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,549 Posts
VERY IMPORTANT!

KEEP RECORDS/DOCUMENTS/EMAILS/TEXT MESSAGES/PHOTOS/NOTES, IN CASE YOU DO GET BEAT YOU HAVE EVIDENCE. It may not help, but it could very well be a life saver. These cars are very expensive, so don't rush into things. i spent years finding mine, waiting for the right one. I did all my due diligence, and still ended up with a $4300 repair bill before i even had a chance to drive the car.
The last sentence is not correct. If you failed to test drive the used car before you bought it you did not do due diligence. You skipped a vital step. A test ride and a test drive are important. Had you done either chances are you would have known about the issue which required $4300 after you drove the car but before you bought the car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
VERY IMPORTANT!

I did all my due diligence, and still ended up with a $4300 repair bill before i even had a chance to drive the car.
Wow, that sux!! I bought mine used. Looked almost 2 years. Drove 5 hours one way just to look so kinda hard to walk away. I didn't overpay for what I got and they were close on trade. 3 years and 4k miles later no surprises.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would not consider buying a used Hellcat and not knowing the owner. Most of these cars are beaten to hell and usually get sold once problems arrive. Especially cars from carvana, carmax etc. YouTube has plenty of videos to proof it and also shows that many noncar guys who basically know nothing about cars just buy these cars as a statement/show off. Burnout right of the lot,revving the engine to the moon while its still cold (kali muscle for example). Also cheap mods, such as mid muffler delete, and cheap tires just speaks for themselves. Which will make me walk away from the car. I would only consider a used Hellcat if I knew the owner personally. I’m glad I purchased a new Hellcat.

·
Registered
564 Posts
When I looked for a year before buying new Hellcats fell into two groups, one is older owners who loved and babied the cars, knew what that had and the asking price reflected that. Car’s on dealers lots that most times I knew way more about the car than anyone at the dealership knew. I would still have bought used if the right deal for a new one had not come along. At the end of the day I was seeking out for sale by owner but I had the finical ability to go that route.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,859 Posts
The whole ‘never buy without the Carfax’ thing kills me. Carfax and it’s advertising is a joke imo. They do a great job of making people believe it’s the bible of a car’s history. It's certainly not. Can be extremely misleading and based on hope. Hope that it’s an accurate portfolio of a vehicle’s history. I’ve seen so many omissions of major issues and buyers whining about how it wasnt on the Carfax afterwards. I’ve also seen people scared off of perfectly fine cars that had very minor issues in the past or service that was done but not reported, causing the perspective buyer to think it was never serviced. People need to realize that there’s no magic button or pill for everything and think for themselves more. The Carfax should just be a tool but not relied on as a rap sheet. Remember even rap sheets dont show every crime someone has gotten away with and can also show minor infractions that are irrelevant in the big picture.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,087 Posts
What does "beat" mean? Like taken advantage of? To get a true representation, shouldn't the word "No" be in the survey????????????? Dude, get an attorney since the message board won't do anything for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What does "beat" mean? Like taken advantage of? To get a true representation, shouldn't the word "No" be in the survey????????????? Dude, get an attorney since the message board won't do anything for you.
Basically the owner didn’t really care if it breaks or not. Doing burnouts while engine is still cold for example

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,598 Posts
Basically the owner didn’t really care if it breaks or not. Doing burnouts while engine is still cold for example
It's 2021....engines are totally fine by about the time the chimes during startup stop.

Reactions: CatDaddyB5

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
I have bought and sold lots of new and used cars.

I won't even order carfax or autocheck unless the car can pass paint meter test.
i
It's less than 400 bucks and if you buy any used car at all, it's a great insurance. Meter the car, if there's repaint, walk away.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
401 Posts
The whole ‘never buy without the Carfax’ thing kills me. Carfax and it’s advertising is a joke imo. They do a great job of making people believe it’s the bible of a car’s history. It's certainly not. Can be extremely misleading and based on hope. Hope that it’s an accurate portfolio of a vehicle’s history. I’ve seen so many omissions of major issues and buyers whining about how it wasnt on the Carfax afterwards. I’ve also seen people scared off of perfectly fine cars that had very minor issues in the past or service that was done but not reported, causing the perspective buyer to think it was never serviced. People need to realize that there’s no magic button or pill for everything and think for themselves more. The Carfax should just be a tool but not relied on as a rap sheet. Remember even rap sheets dont show every crime someone has gotten away with and can also show minor infractions that are irrelevant in the big picture.
This is a much better source than Carfax: National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
401 Posts
Nah, I think he's going a different direction. He didn't ask if we "bought" a beat one, but did "we" get beat on the sale. Look up his other posts.
Being "beat" is a very subjective term to begin with. I can't think of too many owners who will admit they were beat on any car sale, not just Hellcats. Half won't admit it. half won't recognize it based on someone else's interpretation. Does being beat mean that you overpaid by $500, $1000, $5000? Does it mean buying a used car that has problems 6 months, 12 months , 2 years down the road? If you're not happy with someone's best and final, don't make the deal. But don't regret it as any used car purchase is a crapshoot. If you feel you made the best deal you could be happy with, don't second-guess yourself after you roll off the lot.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,040 Posts
I’ve also seen people scared off of perfectly fine cars that had very minor issues in the past or service that was done but not reported, causing the perspective buyer to think it was never serviced.
Yup, mine would be a complete dud according to Carfax. Never, ever serviced.
In reality it's probably better serviced than most, and treated really well. But there's no way Carfax would know about that, since it's never been subjected to a dealer service.

Reactions: Bill the 'cat

·
Registered
Charger Forged 392
13 Posts
VERY IMPORTANT!

KEEP RECORDS/DOCUMENTS/EMAILS/TEXT MESSAGES/PHOTOS/NOTES, IN CASE YOU DO GET BEAT YOU HAVE EVIDENCE. It may not help, but it could very well be a life saver. These girls are very expensive, so don't rush into things. i spent years finding mine, waiting for the right one. I did all my due diligence, and still ended up with a $4300 repair bill before i even had a chance to pound the girl.
Fixed the above! LOL, Reading your first post reminded me of guys looking for girls/fiancee overseas for some reason.

Replace vehicle or car with "Girlfriend or Wife" that lives Overseas, Replace Carfax with "Dating Sites", Replace sales guy and Dealership with "Mom or pimp", replace service records and vehicle inspection reports with "Health department visits". Now you have the perfect guild to finding your mate that lives overseas. Too many beers before the games tonight!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
90 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can take the VIN to any dealer and they can see exactly what warranty or maintenance work that has been done via dealer. Works for buying a Ford. I like Carfax for mileage tracking. I'm amazed at how many errors there are though. But I think it's a useful tool just not the end all be all.

KID

1 - 20 of 33 Posts