SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Did you get beat buying a used hellcat?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger HellCat WideBody
16 Posts
I looked for years.. The best advice is buy from any car dealership with a car fax and some sort of left over warranty and make sure it has the orginal tires still on the car and it has under 7,000 miles.. other wise your asking for someone elses headache.. the same advise goes for any car

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
The best advice is buy from any car dealership with a car fax and some sort of left over warranty and make sure it has the orginal tires still on the car and it has under 7,000 miles.. other wise your asking for someone elses headache.. the same advise goes for any car
Again, then my car is highly undesirable, as it got new tires within about 200 miles, and there should be nothing whatsoever on Carfax about it.

But I suppose I could put the OE tires and wheels back on...although they look a bit too good for 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
What a clapped out junker I have with 16,625 miles and brand new Michelin PS4S tires!! :rolleyes: :D
Well, yeah, but if the Carfax shows that you have let a dealer (mis)handle the oil changes, you're still golden.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
41 Posts
I had made a huge mistake when buying a 2016 Hellcat with 10k miles on it. The CarFax was pristine, but it had a voided engine warranty which car fax won't show you. Lucky for me the dealer took it back two weeks later after it only made it 1k miles after I got it. Always goto a dealership and have the VIN run to verify it's not had a flashed ECU and voided warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The whole ‘never buy without the Carfax’ thing kills me. Carfax and it’s advertising is a joke imo. They do a great job of making people believe it’s the bible of a car’s history. It's certainly not. Can be extremely misleading and based on hope. Hope that it’s an accurate portfolio of a vehicle’s history. I’ve seen so many omissions of major issues and buyers whining about how it wasnt on the Carfax afterwards. I’ve also seen people scared off of perfectly fine cars that had very minor issues in the past or service that was done but not reported, causing the perspective buyer to think it was never serviced. People need to realize that there’s no magic button or pill for everything and think for themselves more. The Carfax should just be a tool but not relied on as a rap sheet. Remember even rap sheets dont show every crime someone has gotten away with and can also show minor infractions that are irrelevant in the big picture.
Good point

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
19 Posts
I would not consider buying a used Hellcat and not knowing the owner. Most of these cars are beaten to hell and usually get sold once problems arrive.
Possibly the dumbest quote I have ever read. Your assumption does not mean it is true. I purchased a used Hellcat that was well taken care of and gave me zero issues. I took the same pride in said car and enjoyed the hell out of it before trading it in for my dream cat. To assume all people who sell their Hellcats have "little dick syndrome" is simply an assumption, because I know others who have taken care of their hellcat without driving it like a complete idiot! Those people actually exist, but with that being said, you have to shop wisely on any used muscle car.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Hellcat
36 Posts
1.Be ready to walk away! Hard to do, but you'll be better off in the end. Unless, its the car for you, like in my case.
2.Carfax and auto check REQUIRED, or dont buy it. (SEE #1) Not worth the risk for a high $ car. That being said, they are only so good...
3.Research the vehicle vin online. After you purchase you can go to the DMV anywhere it was titled/registered and get copies of previous owners if you now have the title in your name
4.Check google LAST and BBB reviews FIRST. Last dealership had all 5's on google, and a crap load of 1/5 BBB reviews and complaints, also google search the sales guy. research everything and anything
5.Ask a lot of questions, both about the car and the sales guy personally, keep them off guard and you can catch them telling the truth sometimes, if they're trying to beat you
6.Act dumb and play stupid, the less they know about you the better
7.Good to have a bank involved, they have big attorneys to safeguard their $
8.DO NOT BUY from someplace that isn't a real Dealership, unless its a private owner.
9.Learn everything you can about vehicle inspection before you go look at it. There are always signs of problems if you know what to look for.. examples:
-panel gaps, should all be close, so real tight on one side and real wide on the other, something moved, ie car was in an accident
-paint finish on hardware, if its chipped/worn, it might indicate it was taken apart for a reason. Why? id the real question.
-overspray, masking tape under car, in wheel wells... car was in a body shop
-fluids.. do they smell burned?
-overall condition of the vehicle, was it beat or taken car of?
-look behind interior panels/under car etc. REALLY LOOK AT THE CAR WHEN THE SALES GUY ISN'T AROUND
This list is too much to write, but you get the idea
10.If you dont know a lot about cars, take someone who does, even if you have to pay them. Tell the sales guy he's your brother. Then LISTEN to what that guy says. He's the expert, thats why you're paying him.
11. Ask for the service records and vehicle inspection reports from a dealership. in my case the dealer said they were for "internal use only" that was when i knew something was wrong. Any good dealer will be ore than happy to provide them.
12. Caveat Emptor, buyer beware, you get what you pay for etc.. ALL TRUE
13. Buy a paint thickness gauge Learn how to use it. It will find body filler and body damage that was fixed.
14. Look at a lot of cars, like you were going to buy them. Practice makes perfect
15. Buy a lot of cheap cars, get beat a few times, and learn these lessons the hard way. This way when you spend a significant amount of money on one, you have experience.
16. Trust your judgement. If its too good to be true... In my case, the sales guy was too nice. But didn't really answer the important questions.
17. Everyone is human, so we all want to most $ we can get for a car, and want to hide the problems.
18. REALLY listen to what the salesman is saying , is he really answering your questions, or just feeding you lines, like mine did? Another give away.
19. If you can, take it to another dealership before you buy it. A second opinion could save the day, but again, See #1
20. USE THIS FORUM and ask questions!
21. My last thought is, no car is perfect. Is just a matter of what's wrong, and are you ok with that? Honestly, sometimes it just is what it is. Its a gamble. A crapshoot. I've bought beautiful cars that were lemons. I've bought shitboxes that just wouldn't die, and I tried my hardest. Due diligence, and maybe you'll find something good, or bad.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS BECAUSE YOU GOT BEAT, PM ME. MAYBE I CAN HELP.
In March of 2019 I purchased a brand new scatpack Widebody as a new Hellcat wasn't in my budget (2nd car for me). I looked at many used Hellcat, but I was fearful inheriting someone else's problem. About 6months into the purchase of the scatpack, I regretted it, but I knew I was stuck with it for a few years due to the initial depreciation of a new car. 5 months ago, my neighbor, who runs a finance dept. at a local Dodge dealer called me and said some old guy had just traded in his 2017 Challenger Hellcat (12K mi.) for a new RAM and they had a "lot" of money to move on it. My initial reaction was that I would get hosed on my Scatpack, even though it only had 4300mi on it. I went and looked at the Hellcat and it was mint..other than 4-5 microscopic rock chips on the nose of the car. Dealer went through the car and the carfax checked out. Somehow, he was able to give me only $500 less than what I originally paid for my Scatpack (they had some guy looking for a Widebody in my color...Pitch black, which helped)...Needless to say I pulled the trigger...was the best decision I ever made.....car is awesome. As the factory 3/36 had just expired, I did add a Mopar Maxcare warranty to the car to to make sure ($2400)..3yr/36kmi for the peace of mind. The car spends a lot of time in the garage as I plan on keeping it forever.....No issues so far....

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
384 Posts
Yes, done via the dealer only though. I still think we went off on a tangent from the original post...... :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
407 Posts
bought both of mine used, sight unseen, no test drives. The first one was a private seller 700 miles away, the second one from a Dodge dealer 300 miles away. No issues with either, although both cars were about a year old with less than 4,000 miles on the clock when I bought them.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts