SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never inspected a car so much in my life until now. Does this look like an issue to you.
If this was any other car I would have never noticed. Since I am going 130 at times I would like to know nothing is going to happen.
IMG-5037.JPG

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
259 Posts
It does appear to me that the belt is in fact fraying and prematurely wearing a bit.
I notice on your supercharger snout what appears to be some of the belt dust --

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,383 Posts
You should take your Demon to the Dealer for a belt check.
Fraying would by highly unusual to happen so quick.

Linda :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys i wish this was not an issue. I remember someone else having this issue but cant seem to find it now.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
754 Posts
I would expect that something is causing this such as misalignment or a sharp edge somewhere in the belt routing. Then again, we don't know where Dodge sources them from nor do we know what the quality of the belt is like. I would personally upgrade the belt to a Gates while saving the old belt. If the gates starts to fray, slip the OEM belt back on and make a trip to your local dealer.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
5,005 Posts
I would expect that something is causing this such as misalignment or a sharp edge somewhere in the belt routing. Then again, we don't know where Dodge sources them from nor do we know what the quality of the belt is like. I would personally upgrade the belt to a Gates while saving the old belt. If the gates starts to fray, slip the OEM belt back on and make a trip to your local dealer.
I agree with the above. For that to happen to the belt this quickly something is out of alignment. Get a gates belt.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where do i go about getting the part number and ordering the gates belt?

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,383 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
680 Posts
Thanks guys i wish this was not an issue. I remember someone else having this issue but cant seem to find it now.
That would be me. And it’s happened twice already. Honestly I think it happens after repeated WOT/Closed Throttle cycles. The second time it happened to me was after I was trying to quickly consume my 93 octane to get the proper race fuel mixture. Belt looked just like yours. I’ve been meaning to get the Green Belt. Thanks Linda for the link!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be me. And it’s happened twice already. Honestly I think it happens after repeated WOT/Closed Throttle cycles. The second time it happened to me was after I was trying to quickly consume my 93 octane to get the proper race fuel mixture. Belt looked just like yours. I’ve been meaning to get the Green Belt. Thanks Linda for the link!

This does not sound right man... Did they find any issues with a pulley or they just replaced the belt?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
680 Posts
The first time, the belt blew on a WOT run so yeah it ruined the tensioner pulley and the tech replaced the idler pulley cause there was a bit of play on it. Last time I just replaced the belt. Clearance is ridiculously tight. with the hood open have somebody give the throttle a quick hard blip and watch what the belt does on decel. It whips up so you know it hits the objects around it in other areas not visible at the top. Yeah the only solution I see is buying the green belt. That's what the Hellcat crowd has been doing for a while, seems like

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first time, the belt blew on a WOT run so yeah it ruined the tensioner pulley and the tech replaced the idler pulley cause there was a bit of play on it. Last time I just replaced the belt. Clearance is ridiculously tight. with the hood open have somebody give the throttle a quick hard blip and watch what the belt does on decel. It whips up so you know it hits the objects around it in other areas not visible at the top. Yeah the only solution I see is buying the green belt. That's what the Hellcat crowd has been doing for a while, seems like

thanks for the info. How did it run when the belt was off? I am wondering because I have a 3 hour ride each way tomorrow. Once I get to the location I will be doing some pulls. The belt does not look like it has gotten any worse but It might.

if the belt breaks.... will the ride home be possible or will i get 1mpg?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
680 Posts
I didnt drive it after belt broke. If you drive it easy it should take you home. I wouldn't do any pull it like that. Not if you need to drive it home. It's still early, you should go have the belt replaced before the dealers close.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt drive it after belt broke. If you drive it easy it should take you home. I wouldn't do any pull it like that. Not if you need to drive it home. It's still early, you should go have the belt replaced before the dealers close.

She made it home after a lot of pulls with no more visible damage to the belt. I am going to get it taken care of but I am wondering how if it will get much worse.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
680 Posts
She made it home after a lot of pulls with no more visible damage to the belt. I am going to get it taken care of but I am wondering how if it will get much worse.
That's great to hear. Glad you were able to have fun with it either way. Let me know what the dealership tells you

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
437 Posts
That's great to hear. Glad you were able to have fun with it either way. Let me know what the dealership tells you
anyone have order info on the gates belt? I can look it up, but just checking if its handy...thanks...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
428 Posts
Just replaced the stock belt for a green Gates belt on my Hellcat last weekend.

If the clearance is anywhere near as tight as it is on the Hellcat, make sure you put on your cursin' pants before starting your work.

Either that, or let a dealer replace it for you. That plastic fan shroud is a ***** on the arms.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
278 Posts
This is For the Hellcat and a Demon

Gates Fleetrunner Micro-V Heavy Duty Serpentine V-Ribbed Belt (2015 Hellcat Challenger/Charger) - K100579HD

Contact HHP Individually With Your Sales And Tech Questions

For quickest response times, please call HHP M-F, 9-6 Eastern time and we will gladly answer any questions you may have.
Toll Free: (888) 894-1115
Local: (302) 894-1115
Fax: (302) 514-9397

Linda :)
Linda,
there are two belts, do you have the second part number?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just replaced the stock belt for a green Gates belt on my Hellcat last weekend.

If the clearance is anywhere near as tight as it is on the Hellcat, make sure you put on your cursin' pants before starting your work.

Either that, or let a dealer replace it for you. That plastic fan shroud is a ***** on the arms.

Do i need to remove the other belt to get it on.... someone said that in a video that was not directly related to the belt install.
Can i just loosen the tension and pull it off and replace in reverse?

I would like to know what I am in for before attempting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts