SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy revved it up and took off in fifth gear, from a stop.
Now its in limp mode and has a P2227 code and check engine light. Will only go 2000rpm or so and then it will cut out, the boost gauge registers no boost, it will go to 0 vacuum but that's it.
According to the internet P2227 is some barometric pressure sensor or something so maybe the boost gauge got destroyed, I don't know.
EDIT-----Car also has code P0335--crankshaft position sensor.
So today a group of friends met at a breakfast joint with our hot rods and went for a cruise, I drove my 71 Nova and let my buddy take my Challenger for the day. I'm not one to keep all the fun to myself so from time to time I let other people drive the thing. My buddy promptly killed the car several times while following me taking off from stops, he's a veteran manual trans driver and jeep four wheeler, but apparently taking off in that car was beyond him. I told him to give it some throttle or it would stall, after leaving the restaurant my buddy was behind the line of six cars following a 55 Chevy. The rest of us had pulled over to wait for the two because we got ahead a long ways on the cruise loop.
well here comes my buddy and the 55 roaring up to us and when they got out my buddy says "hey I accidently took off in fifth gear and now your check engine light is on" I thought he was joking. He says "no really, you better come look" So I did and sure enough its code P2227. Oil pressure, temperature, exhaust air fuel, was okay so I drove it home about 10 miles or so, slowly.
Got home had to move the car again and it will barely go in reverse, I'm thinking he killed my clutch smoking it from a stop in fifth.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend in the 55 chevy later told me that him and the guy driving my Hellcat lined up for a race of sorts and took off hard, the 55 is no slouch with a rowdy small block, stall converter and 4.10 gears on drag radials, so he nailed it and the driver of my hellcat nailed it from a stop in fifth gear.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now in limp mode mode my car won't go past 2000rpm and the boost gauge never shows any boost, goes to O zero vacuum and that's it.
Well off to service it goes, what sucks to me is that my buddy created a very harsh situation by dropping the clutch in fifth gear, but I have a sick feeling that I'll take it to the dealer and they'll change a friggin sensor, reset the CEL and call it good, but I'm dang sure damage to performance and further failure down the line could happen. So I almost hope the whole thing is shot so I can be sure to get some new parts instead of some b.s. service dept its good take it home thing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For sure!
I would have rather seen him get in a fender bender with the car at least then it would have been an accident instead of him being incompetent behind the wheel and beating on it at the same time.

·
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,352 Posts
That stinks. Good luck to you, if the car is still "stock" I'd expect that the warranty will cover you but, like BODUKE stated earlier. I'd let him drive his on freaking car next time. (If there's a next time):confused:

Let us know how it turns out please?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've searched on here for "P2227" and read several threads now, lots of info on early build cars getting a PCM replaced because of this code and a barometric pressure sensor failure, but I would think this is a mechanical failure in my cars case.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,749 Posts
I'd be beyond pissed if he could not get his head out of his ass enuff to tell differance from 1st gear and 5th. Then hammering it with at least you in the car
The 2 or 3rd time killed it would be enuff for me to say......"maybe this is not the kind of car you need to be driving"....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He says he pulled off the highway along my buddy in his 55 chevy and forgot it was in fifth, then took off in it. I get it, I know, I'm trying not to be mad to much because it isn't going to help my blood pressure or the car get fixed. I need some support and some mechanical advice more than anything.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
5,006 Posts
Did you smell anything after? Worst case scenario he burnt your clutch. Maybe it triggered limp mode before he did real damage hopefully.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,013 Posts
Looks like you are like me and let your buddy ride it. But one of my buddy pulled dang 124 mph in 30 mile zone (I think he was trying to cross my top speed) since that day I've made sure that he looks at the car from side. I've no issue sharing the excitement with friends and family members but treat like yours.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure the clutch wasn't done any favors, but I do t know if it's destroyed.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I inspected the supercharger pulley while it was running and it seems to be spinning normally and power steering works too, lower pulley seems intact

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
501 Posts
This is a bogus code that Chrysler doesn't currently know what the fix is but they are looking into it.

Had a customers car at work a couple weeks with the same code. Chrysler is looking into why it happens. The current fix is to send a snap shop of the event date to Chrysler (your dealer tech "should" know how to do that)

Clear code, make sure pcm is up to date, and send the car on the way. The car I had at work has been gone for a couple weeks now and has not reported that the issue has returned so what ever sets it seems to be a very rare event.

So don't worry I don't think your friend broke your car lol. It looks as if P2227 is just a bogus code that throws the car into limp in mode. I wouldn't worry about this issue at all.

From the Chrysler Star Case:
At this time, there is an active engineering investigation regarding this fault and additional information is needed to understand the vehicle operating conditions when the P2227 fault sets.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,671 Posts
Not sure if the Hellcat is the same but my Shelby had clutch protection protocol where the PCM would pull power if clutch slippage was detected. Given your circumstances I'm thinking there was a WHOLE LOT of clutch slippage, so much so that maybe it defaulted to limp mode. I hope not but that little maneuver probably took some years off the clutch. Hope you get it up and running soon. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
501 Posts
Not sure if the Hellcat is the same but my Shelby had clutch protection protocol where the PCM would pull power if clutch slippage was detected. Given your circumstances I'm thinking there was a WHOLE LOT of clutch slippage, so much so that maybe it defaulted to limp mode. I hope not but that little maneuver probably took some years off the clutch. Hope you get it up and running soon. Lesson learned.
And you may be on to something with that statement.

In this instance leaving in 5th gear the PCM is probably lost lol.

As for the car that came into work. I know he slips his clutch. I have already had to replace the clutch once and when he came in last time his clutch didn't feel right again. I am a bad feeling he will need another soon.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts