SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends is trying to get a pre owed 17 hellcat charger with 50,000 miles ,what would y’all recommend in checking if it been abuse is a good purchase if is 45k

·
Registered
950 Posts
My friends is trying to get a pre owed 17 hellcat charger with 50,000 miles ,what would y’all recommend in checking if it been abuse is a good purchase if is 45k
While that isn't a huge amount of miles, that's quite a bit on a 17' Hellcat. I would say it sounds like someone DD'd the car a lot. After a carfax for good measure, I would check the car completely over. Look thoroughly at the body and the paint. With 50k miles you will likely see a good deal of rock chips unless they put on some protection. Make sure the engine sounds good (no supercharger whine). If they let you test drive it, listen for rear end gear whine. Look at internet pictures to know what a stock engine bay looks like, so you can see if any mods were done. You can ask the dealer too, but they might not know. Get the car on a lift and check for tire rubber in the inner wheel wells and under the backside to see if there is any indication if it was raced and to see what the underside looks like in general. Get a service history on the car as well, to see if it has had any work done it, warranty or otherwise.

I know it's a Charger HC, so they their value is higher than that of a Challenger, but I'd look around for a lower mileage HC imho. Good luck.

·
HOTM Winner
254 Posts
50k miles on a specialty car that's 2 model years old...thats more than a lot, that is over twice the norm.
Think of it this way, annual average for most cars is 12k. Hellcats are even less as they are generally not a 4 season daily driver. Its also nearing then end of the manufacture 6/60.
I'd be sure its got a clean carfax, and get it inspected. These cars are not bought to be babied around town, chances are it has had a hard 50k put on it, as someone really enjoyed driving it.

·
HOTM Winner
7,982 Posts
45 on a 17 is a low price.
46 -49 is the average on 16's with 5 - 20 thousand.
Been looking at nationwide prices on 16 thru 19's the last couple weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts