SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
605 Posts
Nice.

I always read it’s better to just let the car sit though all winter on a battery tender vice starting it at all. I store my cars that way.
100% when put away and filled with fuel with battery tender on I never start it till spring. Reason being is you get all kinds on condensation that builds up in the exhaust and it will never get hot enough to take it all out ( hence rots and rusts inside the exhaust since its not same as if you were driving it ) just sayin....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,078 Posts
Nice.

I always read it’s better to just let the car sit though all winter on a battery tender vice starting it at all. I store my cars that way.
There is a difference of opinion. A problem is the oil used in these engines is not seal friendly. It has seal friendly additives. But the seals need to be bathed in (hot) oil for these additives to protect the seals from the degradation.

Plus there is some benefit to not only circulating the oil but fuel and coolant. The circulating fuel and coolant reduces stagnation and the degradation this can cause fuel system seals/o-rings and cooling system seals and hoses.

There is also the A/C system to consider. Turning this on and having the A/C on causes refrigerant to flow and with this compressor oil. This helps keep the A/C o-rings/seals in good condition.

Ideally the engine is run long enough to get the oil/coolant warm and the exhaust system warm enough to dry the system. However, if the car is fitted with a stainless steel exhaust system (some of my past cars had this) getting the exhaust hot is less a concern. But almost certainly if the engine is run long enough to warm the coolant and oil it will also have the exhaust nice and warm and dry by the time the engine is shut off.

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,169 Posts
But are the fuel lines? Couple years ago I replaced the brake and fuel lines in my old Silverado and they they practically crumpled in my hands!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I used to leave my ‘11 Mustang GT on a tender for the winter months (usually no more than 5 full months of garage storage, in total). I wonder if that’s why my AC compressor crapped out on me when it did. The rest of the system was just fine, but the damn thing just failed me one day when it was about 98 degrees out (and I was wearing a suit at the time, to boot!). Still pisses me off when I think about it.

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,169 Posts
Hey CRK, as you know it was a beautiful day today, except for all the melted snow causing puddles all over the place! Took a nice ride up the seacoast with the wife and dog. Stopped at a Shell and it had a 10% ethanol sticker on the pump! Later at another Shell, there were no stickers, so I filled up with the Nitro. I tried to do a search to see what was going on but only found garbage, the Shell site being the most useless. Do the Shells by you have ethanol?

Anyone else know what is going on? Apparently some Shell has ethanol, and some doesn’t?

BTW: 93 was 50c higher than my last fill-up!!! Thank you ___!!! (You need to fill in the blank yourself!)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hey CRK, as you know it was a beautiful day today, except for all the melted snow causing puddles all over the place! Took a nice ride up the seacoast with the wife and dog. Stopped at a Shell and it had a 10% ethanol sticker on the pump! Later at another Shell, there were no stickers, so I filled up with the Nitro. I tried to do a search to see what was going on but only found garbage, the Shell site being the most useless. Do the Shells by you have ethanol?

Anyone else know what is going on? Apparently some Shell has ethanol, and some doesn’t?

BTW: 93 was 50c higher than my last fill-up!!! Thank you ___!!! (You need to fill in the blank yourself!)
10% E won’t hurt anything, will it?

·
HOTM Winner
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I don't know anywhere that you can get ethanol free gas. If you find somewhere, let me know. I went out ice fishing today, I couldn't have asked for better weather! Hopefully we have a short winter and I can get my car out in March sometime! We'll have to hit up the Muscle Car club season opener or something. My name is Tony BTW

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
8,692 Posts
I don't know anywhere that you can get ethanol free gas. If you find somewhere, let me know. I went out ice fishing today, I couldn't have asked for better weather! Hopefully we have a short winter and I can get my car out in March sometime! We'll have to hit up the Muscle Car club season opener or something. My name is Tony BTW

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
Casey’s in Iowa, nearly $4 a gallon. It is all labeled. I have seen the same at different places here in MN. Put some in my 5.7L Grand Cherokee last weekend and it was nearly zero out. The car ran noticeably better!

·
Registered
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
1,222 Posts
Had an 86 Corvette some years ago that I went through, tuned up and so on. Couldn’t get it quite right. 2 full tanks of non-ethanol pure gas (about 40 gal) the car ran noticeably better. The older fuel delivery system didn’t like ethanol regardless of the octane rating.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
The 5.7 usually gets fed 92 octane from the local Costco here in the Twin Cities. It loves it. It is “her” vehicle. Borrowed it last weekend for an Iowa trip and did not want to drive out to WDM from nearly the other side of town just for the 93 they have at that Costco! After I found the Casey’s stuff and it was brutal cold with great DA anyway, it was fine. And it is spoiled.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts