SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need tire help!

I have an 800hp Hellcat on the way, with stock tires and wheels. Non-wide body.

I track OCCASIONALLY - wouldn’t mind a tire that can perform there but mainly street.

What do you run that has reasonable tread life, good grip, and is OK in the rain. I’m in SoFlo so cold is not a problem.

Pic for attention

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,564 Posts
My new 2018 Hellcat came with Pirelli all season tires. Crummy. My 2020 Scat Pack came with Pirelli high performance tires. Not crummy.

I'd recommend getting the factory sanctioned high performance tires on your car. They'll fit, meet all the other requirements regarding speed rating, load rating, etc.

The tires still can be overwhelmed by the power. Anything short of F1 tires would be.

But for street use in a mild climate they'll prove to be the best choice.

BTW, even with all season tires on my Hellcat I still had to slow down in the rain. With every car I have owned, fitted with all season or high performance tires, I've slowed down when it rains.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My new 2018 Hellcat came with Pirelli all season tires. Crummy. My 2020 Scat Pack came with Pirelli high performance tires. Not crummy.

I'd recommend getting the factory sanctioned high performance tires on your car. They'll fit, meet all the other requirements regarding speed rating, load rating, etc.

The tires still can be overwhelmed by the power. Anything short of F1 tires would be.

But for street use in a mild climate they'll prove to be the best choice.

BTW, even with all season tires on my Hellcat I still had to slow down in the rain. With every car I have owned, fitted with all season or high performance tires, I've slowed down when it rains.
Going with 305/35/20, not a good idea?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,564 Posts
Going with 305/35/20, not a good idea?
Can't help you.

I have zero experience running wheels/tires or trying to fit larger tires on wheels, in short tire/wheel combinations/pairings that are not factory sanctioned. There can be clearance issues, issues finding tires that not only fit the wheels but have the required speed rating, load rating, tread wear rating. Get this wrong and the tires may prove to be less than satisfactory than factory sanctioned tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michelin PS4S tires for daily use....these are what I ran on my ZL1 and I know several run them on their Hellcats. Routinely was doing 70-80mph in the rain on 305s...

Get a set of rears for Nitto NT555's.. for drag racing/track use
How's the tread life on Michelin?

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,331 Posts
How's the tread life on Michelin?
Amazing. They get hard when they're hot and dont make much smoke unless you get a lot of wheel speed. I have a set on my car and have a tr6060 so I do a lot of hard launching, they still stick great.

Be sure to have them balanced properly and keep them aired to at least 31 if youre running a 305 on a stock hellcat non-widebody wheel. the stock width is maxed out on a 305.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
541 Posts
Amazing. They get hard when they're hot and dont make much smoke unless you get a lot of wheel speed. I have a set on my car and have a tr6060 so I do a lot of hard launching, they still stick great.

Be sure to have them balanced properly and keep them aired to at least 31 if youre running a 305 on a stock hellcat non-widebody wheel. the stock width is maxed out on a 305.
They are about the best "daily" use tire you'll find that offers quality drivability in both rain/shine situations. You're in Florida so snow really would never be an issue there...

They also hold up pretty well to "spirited driving" compared to other tires. I put about 12k on my PS4S's before I sold the car and you honestly couldn't even tell they were 2 years old at that point...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
They are about the best "daily" use tire you'll find that offers quality drivability in both rain/shine situations. You're in Florida so snow really would never be an issue there...

They also hold up pretty well to "spirited driving" compared to other tires. I put about 12k on my PS4S's before I sold the car and you honestly couldn't even tell they were 2 years old at that point...
Right. I spin wheels as much as possible because its just a blast, and mine are barely showing any wear. I tried drifting the other day and once I was done the body near the wheels that are usually covered in rubber were clean.

305's attempting to slide - YouTube

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
136 Posts
275/40/20 and 315/35/20 have the same diameter.
I’m running these sizes on my Scat Pack with Continental Extreme Contact Sport, and I’m happy with them.
Another option is Michelin with these size as well.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
904 Posts
Need tire help!

I track OCCASIONALLY - wouldn’t mind a tire that can perform there but mainly street.

What do you run that has reasonable tread life, good grip, and is OK in the rain. I’m in SoFlo so cold is not a problem.
View attachment 570101
Pic for attention
Never,ever, never never, never ever, NEVER track your car with street tires and never ever never street your car with track tires. I do mostly circuit track work these days, but the same applies with DR on strip use. Me, I don't want the road chewing up my expensive track tires, and I don't want to ruin my expensive car trying to push and abuse road tires on a race course. You never know if a pothole or some type of foreign object you ran over 1,000mi ago weakened a tire... and you don't want to find out that it did in the middle of a sharp turn when the tire decides to pop. Many moons ago, I used to track an Eagle Talon TSI in the late 90s. Lost a right front just prior to the apex on a sharp turn and the tire barrier and the Talon had a meeting of the minds as it were. Tire barrier won and I had to junk the car. Wasn't worth enough to fix it. I was tracking Kumho Ecsta street tires. That was the last time I tracked a street tire... I think I was 20.

For the street in my Hellcat, I use Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s on all 4 corners. Their all season has a better grip rating than the factory stock Pirelli summer tire. It has nearly double the treadwear rating and is a top notch wet weather performer. I daily drive mine, and although I could get away with a summer tire here year around, the tread wear on the summer tires is no good for me. Especially since summer tires really start to lose traction far before the tires go bald. I can get 3 years out of the Michelin All Seasons (on a 1,000whp Mustang, anyway... and my Mustang was very well built and the suspension kept the rear planted, so I didn't roast the tires every time I touched the gas).

I don't competitively track my Hellcat, so it doesn't currently have a dedicated tire set for track use. I'm a Goodyear track tire fanboy though. My Lotus runs Goodyear Eagles. I've never driven my Elise on the street, so it doesn't have street tires :)

As to tread width, keep in mind that the tire's contact patch is directly related to the wheel's width. 280mm is the widest contact patch you'll get on a stock wheel. So, running anything over a 275 on the stock wheel is going to be for looks only as that extra 25-30mm of tread is not going to be touching the ground unless you replace the wheels.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Never,ever, never never, never ever, NEVER track your car with street tires and never ever never street your car with track tires. I do mostly circuit track work these days, but the same applies with DR on strip use. Me, I don't want the road chewing up my expensive track tires, and I don't want to ruin my expensive car trying to push and abuse road tires on a race course. You never know if a pothole or some type of foreign object you ran over 1,000mi ago weakened a tire... and you don't want to find out that it did in the middle of a sharp turn when the tire decides to pop. Many moons ago, I used to track an Eagle Talon TSI in the late 90s. Lost a right front just prior to the apex on a sharp turn and the tire barrier and the Talon had a meeting of the minds as it were. Tire barrier won and I had to junk the car. Wasn't worth enough to fix it. I was tracking Kumho Ecsta street tires. That was the last time I tracked a street tire... I think I was 20.

For the street in my Hellcat, I use Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s on all 4 corners. Their all season has a better grip rating than the factory stock Pirelli summer tire. It has nearly double the treadwear rating and is a top notch wet weather performer. I daily drive mine, and although I could get away with a summer tire here year around, the tread wear on the summer tires is no good for me. Especially since summer tires really start to lose traction far before the tires go bald. I can get 3 years out of the Michelin All Seasons (on a 1,000whp Mustang, anyway... and my Mustang was very well built and the suspension kept the rear planted, so I didn't roast the tires every time I touched the gas).

I don't competitively track my Hellcat, so it doesn't currently have a dedicated tire set for track use. I'm a Goodyear track tire fanboy though. My Lotus runs Goodyear Eagles. I've never driven my Elise on the street, so it doesn't have street tires :)

As to tread width, keep in mind that the tire's contact patch is directly related to the wheel's width. 280mm is the widest contact patch you'll get on a stock wheel. So, running anything over a 275 on the stock wheel is going to be for looks only as that extra 25-30mm of tread is not going to be touching the ground unless you replace the wheels.
In other words, get some wider rep wheels because you're gonna need the extra utilization of contact patch with that pulley and such on that car.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,129 Posts
Michelin 4S all the way. ANY All Season is junk on a track, especially if you are in the mid or high group.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
184 Posts
Cameron, South Florida brah here as well. Nice Charger man and I’d recommend Nitto 555R2, many have stated it grips very well, decent in the rain to not have to worry, high enough speed rating as opposed to the original 555r, and many seem to average decent tread life anywhere from 7-10K miles.

Also go for a 305 size tire for that extra road contact. Might as well get as much grip out the Nittos as you can with a wider tire, plus the bigger wider tire will look aesthetically better on your car compared to the skinny 275 tires. Since you have a charger you could even fit a 315 if you wanted to since you guys got a little more room in the wheel well than the Challengers from what I hear. Encounters will think twice when they see a wide looking drag radial in the back knowing you can hook and not underestimate you lol.

Also worth mentioning I have the same stock wheels as you on my car so invest in a pair of 20x10.5 or 20x11 HR5 rear wheels from PK Auto so you can accommodate the bigger tire size appropriately and do it right. They look pretty identical to the wheels you have on now so no sweat over some mismatch looking wheels and can fit your center SRT wheel caps on them. Cheers

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,876 Posts
So with all the brand names being thrown around here - how is the balancing working out with them? My RE on stock junk tires has the same dreaded 80-90mph shimmy that my last HC had. Really annoying and I'd love to hear that it's just these crappy all season tires.

Reactions: WVHEMIS

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
357 Posts
Need tire help!

View attachment 570101
Pic for attention
These would help nicely: Toyo Proxes R888R DOT Competition Tire 305/35ZR20 (104Y) 104410

We have 4 left in-stock.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts