SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says...

For those that traded their narrow bodies Challengers in and got the Wide Body models....how big of a difference in handling and harshness in ride when suspension in normal (street) mode?

I can already assume traction is improved with the slightly bigger tires all around. I only found ONE person during the power tour that had the NB and traded in for a new WB. He said his new WB drives like a totally different car and was well worth the extra coin. What do you say?

Reactions: HUNTER

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
26 Posts
I traded 15 NB 6 speed for 18 WB auto. This biggest difference to me is the auto trans. I do like the looks of the WB, but the NB actually felt just as nimble. I tracked both of them. With the ability to put wider tires on the WB it is bound to make a difference in lap times.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
135 Posts
Went from a narrow body 6 speed to a widebody redeye. Agree the automatic is the amazing part. The traction is great. The only down side is with wider tires the widebody follows the grooves in the road more. Absolutely love it otherwise.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info! I never thought the wider tires would try to follow grooves in the road. I’m used to the 8 speed myself....but I imagine it’s a huge difference from a manual!

Reactions: HUNTER

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,981 Posts
You guys who had both and tracked both - have any time slips for comparison? I'd really like to know.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,017 Posts
LOL, no such thing as a narrow body. Standard body is still an extremely wide car. There's nothing narrow about the standard body.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
135 Posts
Just the mile. With the WB I ran against a NB and we were almost the same. I have the 3.09’s and it actually hurts you in the mile. I am definitely not discounting either one. Both are awesome cars.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
665 Posts
LOL, no such thing as a narrow body. Standard body is still an extremely wide car. There's nothing narrow about the standard body.
We should start a thread on this alone. There is NO SUCH THING as a narrow body challenger. Just a standard challenger and a standard challenger with flares lol.
But what gets me the most is when people come in here on this forum and say things like. "I have a 19 WB HC Triple Black with red seat belts and the performance spoiler, which oil do you guys run?"

:confused::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
4,863 Posts
I call them classic body and fender flare.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,017 Posts
We should start a thread on this alone. There is NO SUCH THING as a narrow body challenger. Just a standard challenger and a standard challenger with flares lol.
But what gets me the most is when people come in here on this forum and say things like. "I have a 19 WB HC Triple Black with red seat belts and the performance spoiler, which oil do you guys run?"

:confused::rolleyes:
Dodge has never called the standard body a narrow body. The wide body is called a wide body though. There's a standard body and wide body, no such thing as narrow body.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,859 Posts
Wide body looks like a middle aged man or a woman that has put on a spare tire from one too many 12 packs. To each their own.
Oooor the standard body looks like it needs to eat a sandwich lol. Perspective lol.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dodge has never called the standard body a narrow body. The wide body is called a wide body though. There's a standard body and wide body, no such thing as narrow body.
Somehow I knew after I posted it that SOMEONE would have to point out that it's a REGULAR (not NARROW) body vs. Wide Body! I'll agree with that. From now on I'll just abbreviate it and call it NB....for NORMAL Body! lol

Thanks for all the replies though! Looking through the posts, it really seems there's not a whole lot of difference in normal street driving between a NB and WB. Contradicts what the one person I found said, but he had just bought his WB car so odds are he wouldn't tell me it wasn't worth the extra cost. I still would have much more preferred that Dodge widened the fenders and quarter panels a little to fit the bigger wheels/tires vs. adding flares instead. Saying this, I'm sure it was a cost consideration and if they widened the body instead of the flares, the cost would have been over 100K for a WB.
Wide body looks like a middle aged man or a woman that has put on a spare tire from one too many 12 packs. To each their own.
Hey!..... I resemble that remark!

Reactions: 2fast4u

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,017 Posts
Somehow I knew after I posted it that SOMEONE would have to point out that it's a REGULAR (not NARROW) body vs. Wide Body! I'll agree with that. From now on I'll just abbreviate it and call it NB....for NORMAL Body! lol

Thanks for all the replies though! Looking through the posts, it really seems there's not a whole lot of difference in normal street driving between a NB and WB. Contradicts what the one person I found said, but he had just bought his WB car so odds are he wouldn't tell me it wasn't worth the extra cost. I still would have much more preferred that Dodge widened the fenders and quarter panels a little to fit the bigger wheels/tires vs. adding flares instead. Saying this, I'm sure it was a cost consideration and if they widened the body instead of the flares, the cost would have been over 100K for a WB.

Hey!..... I resemble that remark!
DGatzby would be a highly credible source in my opinion since he's owned both and not only has driven it on the street but a track as well.

Reactions: OldMoparGuy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
70 Posts
Great question, with all the HC decsions, I struggled with this one the most.

I test drove both to see if I could talk myself into a WB, I couldnt. Imho, the WB actually rolls less harsh down the road, is more composed under throttle, although the steering i thought was slightly sluggish compared to normal body.

In the end, you buy with your eyes, and I dont like the look of the plastic flares. Feels more truck or SUV to me than muscle car.

Handling and performance wise, if you can get past the "look", the WB is really worth the coin.

Had Dodge pushed out the metal instead of adding plastic I would have bought one.

I hope this helps

1 - 20 of 75 Posts