SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
153 Posts
I can attest to the wider tires all the way around actually being a little quirksome with regards to road grooves. My Hellcat Charger has only 305's out back and 275's up front, and while I notice a little groove grab in it, those same grooves are definitely more pronounced in my wife's Scat Pack WB Challenger. Hers does ride a little rougher too, which is expected as they clearly state that the suspension has been stiffened up a bit. I like my Charger thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,468 Posts
DGatzby would be a highly credible source in my opinion since he's owned both and not only has driven it on the street but a track as well.
Thanks for the intro! Get over the look because the functionality is way better. I don't know of it "rides" too much different. What is much better is the ability to install 11" or 12" wide wheels and decent rubber to launch and help with handling. You try to put an 11" on the rear of a regular body, it just fits within the sheet metal and has just a little wiggle room inside. The fronts on a regular body...hard to get bigger. I walked up to mine last weekend with its aftermarket wheels/tires and it just looked burly, no matter what you think of the flairs, if it has correctly sized and placed rubber it even looks mean as hell, and can hook-up these well placed 345/30's which you will not get on a regular body. Maybe you can sneak them in the a Phillips option? I am very confident of the 305/35's on 11" up front. There is room for more as we can see in some of the vendor wheel post section by our members.

If you must get the regular body the Phillips flairs seem to help, I would recommend that so bigger wheels can be used. 9.5" wheels on these are just not enough. People put too wide a tire on 9.5" and that don't work that much better.

I am really looking forward to next racing season as I am going to commission 12" wheels all around for my track racing pleasure. 12" wheels in front of a regular body would be tough indeed!

Reactions: Wayne

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,502 Posts
I own a 2016 Skinny Challenger and I’m very happy with the ride quality. That said, during the one day session at Bondurant I had the chance to drive a Widebody around the track while trying to keep up with the instructor, and there was no doubt the Widebody was a better cornering car. If I was buying a new Challenger or Charger Hellcat today, it would have to be a Widebody.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,468 Posts
The one thing is those rear flairs should just be made of polished rock! Not a single stone that flies off of those front tires misses impact with the front of the rear flairs. Double or triple wrap them with protection. Clean roads don't exist!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
153 Posts
The one thing is those rear flairs should just be made of polished rock! Not a single stone that flies off of those front tires misses impact with the front of the rear flairs. Double or triple wrap them with protection. Clean roads don't exist!
Exactly. Wife's WB Scat Pack is going in for clear bra film on the front clip, front 1/4 of the hood, mirrors and fronts of both sets of fender flares next week.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,017 Posts
I have that issue with 295s up front. My rear flares have taken a pelting. I should have had them wrapped in clear film had I known. Right now I just touch them up but eventually will have them repainted and clear film applied.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,468 Posts
305's and he gapped the wheels out a bit. I'll need to have them touched up. We all will someday.

The other day, did not see a very tan colored piece of wet clay on the road. We took a country drive and some farmer's tracks were across the roads in a couple of places. I really should have taken a picture. It perfectly painted the splash area. Almost zero on the wrap on the door, little splash up on the gray stuff below, but that flair was all tan colored.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat “Go Mango Orange”
49 Posts
Like I said in the other thread. 6-7k for 3 more inches of plastic and 1 inch more in rubber....I can’t justify. Now most wives might beg to differ lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Like I said in the other thread. 6-7k for 3 more inches of plastic and 1 inch more in rubber....I can’t justify. Now most wives might beg to differ lol.
That's where I wound up too. I ordered my car so I was paying attention to $$ and a $7K option just was a bridge too far. Now If I was Jay Leno, and already had 100 collector cars, then hell I would go for the WB and Redeye options. What the heck!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
182 Posts
I ad a 19 WB Scat, beautiful car.
Traded it for a 2020 HC regular body.

Handeling wise dont really feel a difference.

To me a WB is more of a track car and the regular is more of a muscle/drag car.
Just my .02,
Varooom DSC01307.JPG DSC01754.JPG

Both beautiful cars!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Oh man, now I feel like I was duped by Dodge....I feel horrible for paying the extra for the WB........NOT!!!!

C'mon everyone. If you hate the looks of the WB's, I get it and I'm sure everyone is fine with that. I like all Challengers, standard or WB. - I've owned both in Hellcat form and love both.

If you've ever test driven a WB after owning a standard, you would know right away that the WB package is much more than just plastic flares and wider tires. They handle differently, the suspensions are tuned differently, and the WB's seem much more sure-footed and planted on the street....it makes a bigger difference on any 700+ hp car.

As for the standard body being better for drag racing....try to find a standard body Demon. They're all WB's and don't seem to do too bad on the strip in stock form.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,393 Posts
i've had both. i like the looks of the widebody better they seem to drive exactly the same to me? the wb just looks more aggressive and purposeful to me.

Reactions: Designflaw

·
Registered
288 Posts

This is my standard body. Every upgrade I wanted to do I would stop myself because deep down I really want a wide body so like what’s the point? But I got over that quite a bit when I saw 15+ widebody srts roasting in the sun at my local dealer in the back like it’s a junk yard, prb 3xs the standard models. Guess it’s not as rare or unique as I thought

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
689 Posts
i've had both. i like the looks of the widebody better they seem to drive exactly the same to me? the wb just looks more aggressive and purposeful to me.
I don't know about that, widebody did wonders for the charger, felt a huge improvement.

Maybe some just put the car through its paces or use them in different ways that others don't and feel the difference.

The car still roasts tires widebody or not but the ability to put 12 inch wheels/ drag radials that are much wider give you a much better chance to add more power without running into even more traction issues is the real beauty of the widebody to me.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
879 Posts
The widebody was built primarily for lateral load handling (aka turning). It offers little to no advances in straight line traction. As a result, don't take my word for it, go look up actual test results... but ON THE STREET, the standard SRT Hellcat NB with the A8 is the fastest Hellcat car from 0-60 and 0-100. It's faster than the Demon, Redeye, SRT Hellcat Widebody and Widebody Redeye ON THE STREET.

I emphasized on the street because people are bound to gloss over that. Yes, those other cars are "faster" on paper and at the track. They have more power... but they also have more weight and more aerodynamic drag. With the additional power, they have less traction. Where the Hellcat on a decent road gets fairly good traction from 2nd - 6th, the Redeye still roasts tires all through 3rd and in high torque into 4th. The Demon is no different. This is why many Redeye owners insist on roll racing and/or comparing track slips. Rightfully so, that's their domain.

However, if you want a street beast, the NB SRT Hellcat platform mated to the A8 is time and again proven to be the fastest street car. This is primarily why I bought the NB. I didn't buy my car for bragging rights to say I have the world's most powerful muscle car. I was in the market for a street car, not a track car. I already own an 8 sec drag car. Nah, I bought the one with the best traction available through the widest available usable powerband.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
689 Posts
The widebody was built primarily for lateral load handling (aka turning). It offers little to no advances in straight line traction. As a result, don't take my word for it, go look up actual test results... but ON THE STREET, the standard SRT Hellcat NB with the A8 is the fastest Hellcat car from 0-60 and 0-100. It's faster than the Demon, Redeye, SRT Hellcat Widebody and Widebody Redeye ON THE STREET.

I emphasized on the street because people are bound to gloss over that. Yes, those other cars are "faster" on paper and at the track. They have more power... but they also have more weight and more aerodynamic drag. With the additional power, they have less traction. Where the Hellcat on a decent road gets fairly good traction from 2nd - 6th, the Redeye still roasts tires all through 3rd and in high torque into 4th. The Demon is no different. This is why many Redeye owners insist on roll racing and/or comparing track slips. Rightfully so, that's their domain.

However, if you want a street beast, the NB SRT Hellcat platform mated to the A8 is time and again proven to be the fastest street car. This is primarily why I bought the NB. I didn't buy my car for bragging rights to say I have the world's most powerful muscle car. I was in the market for a street car, not a track car. I already own an 8 sec drag car. Nah, I bought the one with the best traction available through the widest available usable powerband.
Great insight,

I will say as a casual at the strip, the ability to fit the wider radials on wider wheels is awesome.

I find the nb for the charger a bit more squirrely than the wb on the streets and that's through turns, at stoplights, on ramps, etc etc.

Just my experience with the car, different folks different strokes I guess, fwiw the wb drag hurts it severely on the top speed aspect, I think the charger drops from 204 to like 196.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,468 Posts
My regular body with little tires/narrow wheels 3.5 seconds to 60. My Widebody with much bigger tires/wide wheels 3.3 seconds to 60. Both on the street. I ran an 11.3 quarter with the regular one on the same street the Widebody did 11.0 seconds.

Now how is a regular body with skinny tires and more narrow wheels better again?

Same deal, I was reading today, someone said their regular body 707 hp beats all Redeyes with more HP and torque, because the new units can’t handle the torque. What are we saying here?

21 - 40 of 76 Posts