SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the 3rd time this has happened at the track. I get a low oil pressure message on the dash under wide open throttle. 2nd pass i switched to see what PSI reads in performance pages. It drops to zero in the burn out box then recovers as i roll out. Half track it reads zero psi again and set a PO522 code. Obviously if i had zero oil pressure i would think the motor would make noise or knock half way down the track. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
67 Posts
Motor won't always react to 0 PSI if it's periodic. We have all heard stories of cars running with no oil. Im not familiar with the oil pump setups on these cars yet, but that's indicitive of cavitation from my past experience.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
67 Posts
Sucking air?
Yes. Again, I am not familiar with these oil setups yet, and I don't see anyone else having this issue at the track.

If you're low on oil, or the oil is sloshing to the back of the pan (these pans are baffled so I doubt this one unless a baffle is stuck open) your pickup tube will not be able to pickup oil, and will suck air.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,311 Posts
Oil filter issue? Maybe change it to rule it out.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,311 Posts
Fresh oil and filter:(
But a faulty or collapsed filter internally?

Saw it take out a Mercruiser 454 engine once.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But a faulty or collapsed filter internally?

Saw it take out a Mercruiser 454 engine once.

Track rental had this issue with OEM oil and filter. Changed it after rental hit track last night something is going on. However like i said zero pressure in burn out box floored..roll out pressure goes normal. Half way down the track i can watch it 55psi,45psi,30psi,15psi,5psi the 0 psi yet no engine noise and it sets a P0552. Normal driving its fine.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,030 Posts
I know you said it's a fresh filter, but comparing the cost of that vs your engine and the PITA that goes with it, I'd pull it and inspect it.

(You can always put it back on.)

BTW, if you're running the SRT filter, there was a batch of them that had marginal flow slots in the center tube. I had one, and while it didn't cause this issue, point is that filters can be bad from the factory.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know you said it's a fresh filter, but comparing the cost of that vs your engine and the PITA that goes with it, I'd pull it and inspect it.

(You can always put it back on.)

BTW, if you're running the SRT filter, there was a batch of them that had marginal flow slots in the center tube. I had one, and while it didn't cause this issue, point is that filters can be bad from the factory.

I was able to video it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,346 Posts
So this is the 3rd time this has happened at the track. I get a low oil pressure message on the dash under wide open throttle. 2nd pass i switched to see what PSI reads in performance pages. It drops to zero in the burn out box then recovers as i roll out. Half track it reads zero psi again and set a PO522 code. Obviously if i had zero oil pressure i would think the motor would make noise or knock half way down the track. Any ideas?
Mine did this and I let it go for about a year. Eventually it just reads zero 90% of the time until I replaced the oil pressure sending unit. What a pain in the a$$ to replace by the way and it will fail you for a inspection. Make sure you get the oem dealer unit. Dodge has a big problem with the sending units on all cars/trucks.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
983 Posts
I have not bought the oil pump for the new engine yet, but I have looked them up.
Based on the real crappy drawing, it appears it bolts to the front of the cylinder block and the crank snout goes thru it.
I assume its crank driven, and its covered by the timing cover.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,558 Posts
Yes, it's a pretty standard crank nose driven oil pump. Pictures below are of a 5.7L, but it's done the same way.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,172 Posts
No doubt I'd replace the sending unit first, then send it and see what happens...

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
983 Posts
Yep. Just like that.
Thx for the pic. Very helpful to actually see it.

I assume you can take it apart. I like to blueprint oil pumps.
Just takes a flat surface, some wd40 with wet dry sandpaper (600-1000) and some plasti-gauge.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts