SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,030 Posts
Yep. Just like that.
Thx for the pic. Very helpful to actually see it.

I assume you can take it apart. I like to blueprint oil pumps.
Just takes a flat surface, some wd40 with wet dry sandpaper (600-1000) and some plasti-gauge.

With what end goal?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,172 Posts
It's almost certain that if you were actually at zero oil pressure at WOT you'd hear a lot of clacking followed by some squealing....which would be your bearings seizing. I didn't hear you say any of that in your description . Start with the easier things first......like what MAXBOOST said...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Mine did this and I let it go for about a year. Eventually it just reads zero 90% of the time until I replaced the oil pressure sending unit. What a pain in the a$$ to replace by the way and it will fail you for a inspection. Make sure you get the oem dealer unit. Dodge has a big problem with the sending units on all cars/trucks.
Cool did you set a engine light as well? No noise it can't be internal in my mind just very stressful when your at the track.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,346 Posts
Cool did you set a engine light as well? No noise it can't be internal in my mind just very stressful when your at the track.
Yes and the bell will go off everytime. I finally got use to it and didn't care.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
437 Posts
Alarm bells sound in my head. Any one know if there is any oil gallery plugs to tap from. Wouldn’t think it’s going to zero, but why chance it. Just from a logical level why in burn out box it goes south then recovers. Then going down track pressure decays. The old days with older style BB mops, first things I would have thought is oil pick up getting uncovered, pump regulator spring daffy/ sticking, crack on pick up tube pulling more air on suction, high volume oil pump out stripping supply before enough oil drains back to cover pick up, windage around crank lifting oil, cavitatition. Obviously not all of this apply to our engine. But if it was instrumentation/sensor related why under only these conditions. If it were me I think I would try to see if it real. Again I wouldn’t think it is but why chance it. .02

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
983 Posts
With what end goal?
I'm old school. Cause I'm old. Back in the day, you always checked things like end plate clearances, relief spring pressure bores for anything that could hang the relief ball open, and make minor machining additions to make the pump self lubricating in specific spots. De-burr all edges, etc. Maybe add a small shim on the relief spring depending on what the pressure is you were after. Some pumps had very thin end plates and I would have a thicker plate made.
As I have never seen the inside of a Hellcat oil pump, at this time I cannot say how much of that transfers. Maybe I will order one this week and crack it open to see whats what.

Update - Just ordered a Hellcat oil pump (68195993AD) from Mopar Wholesale parts.
$123 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,013 Posts
On my 440 and Hemi builds, I always took my new oil pumps apart to check them for cleanliness before installing them. I actually found one that still had a big (maybe 1” diameter) flashing from the end of the drill bit where the casting was machined through. You couldn’t really tell from looking at it from the outside of the hole but it would have definitely blocked the oil flow. I also had a friend with a new 383 RoadRunner that would lose oil pressure on hard takeoffs and they found an aluminum foil intake manifold insulation pad in the oil pan! If it was my car, I would see if I could hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to check the oil pressure rather than relying on the digital gauge in the dash.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
437 Posts
EOP,engine oil pressure sensor located by oil filter metal
Pad / block with screwed fitting for EOP. Simple tee, or Y Tap
Fitting with a quality mechanical gauge for secondary refferance.
Would validate yes or no pressure drop. .02

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
983 Posts
On my 440 and Hemi builds, I always took my new oil pumps apart to check them for cleanliness before installing them. I actually found one that still had a big (maybe 1” diameter) flashing from the end of the drill bit where the casting was machined through. You couldn’t really tell from looking at it from the outside of the hole but it would have definitely blocked the oil flow. I also had a friend with a new 383 RoadRunner that would lose oil pressure on hard takeoffs and they found an aluminum foil intake manifold insulation pad in the oil pan! If it was my car, I would see if I could hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to check the oil pressure rather than relying on the digital gauge in the dash.
Yep. Oil pumps can have all sorts of things wrong with them from the factory. Only way to know for sure is to disassemble and check.
I always have a small triple gauge setup under the hood with mechanical oil press, water temp and fuel press mounted someplace out of the way, but easily visible. Having a mechanical oil press in the passenger cabin is OK, but you do not want a mechanical fuel press gauge in there, and the NHRA will bounce you in tech if you do.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,030 Posts
Update - Just ordered a Hellcat oil pump (68195993AD) from Mopar Wholesale parts.
$123 shipped to my door.
Interesting.

I'll be very curious to see what you find inside. Please do post up pictures and also tag me on the post to make sure I find it again in case it takes a while to get it done. ;)

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
983 Posts
Interesting.
I'll be very curious to see what you find inside. Please do post up pictures and also tag me on the post to make sure I find it again in case it takes a while to get it done. ;)
Will do.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,172 Posts
Seems like this has turned into a "two-fer" post. One from the OP (03Sonic) having issues with oil pressure at the track, and another building a new engine and installing a new oil pump.....interesting. Let's see how this continues to go....o_O

-To the OP, Hopefully when you take it to the shop they'll check your oil pressure sender to see if it's faulty...it would be a good thing if that's the issue. It would be great if you could report back on what they found in case others are having this same issue....

Reactions: DGatzby

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,346 Posts
Seems like this has turned into a "two-fer" post. One from the OP (03Sonic) having issues with oil pressure at the track, and another building a new engine and installing a new oil pump.....interesting. Let's see how this continues to go....o_O

-To the OP, Hopefully when you take it to the shop they'll check your oil pressure sender to see if it's faulty...it would be a good thing if that's the issue. It would be great if you could report back on what they found in case others are having this same issue....
Just wait b/c most if not all 16 hellcats have the old part number sending unit. There is a reason dodge kept changing numbers. This problem is coming with time and mileage. May even effect the later years.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,030 Posts

Guilty as charged...

However, while off-topic is off-topic, at least this is a natural progression of the original topic and one that while unlikely, is related to a possible failure point for the OP...

:oops:

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,172 Posts
Just wait b/c most if not all 16 hellcats have the old part number sending unit. There is a reason dodge kept changing numbers. This problem is coming with time and mileage. May even effect the later years.
Good to know since mine is a '15...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Update brought it to the shop today and hooked up a manual gauge ZERO issue with oil pressure in the higher RPM. We replaced the oil pressure sensor seems to be good now. Thanks for the fellas who responded I was stressed. lol

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,569 Posts
Any idea on part numbers, etc?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,346 Posts
P/N 5149062AB I ordered from Steve White dodge.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts