SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Challenger Hellcat and recently started having a weird issue. Lately when I have to come to a quick stop I've noticed my idle drops down to almost stalling before it catches itself (It never actually stalls) when that happens it's triggering a message that says "Shift to Park and select gear". I do that and it's fine. I'm not sure where to start looking. I was tuned by OST and it's always been spot on and I've never had an issue. I'm thinking Idle air control or trans not down shifting quick enough to keep the RPM's up. Any help would be great, I really don't want to go to the dealer if I don't have to. I've also emailed OST thinking they may have come across this before. Again, any help would be great.. Thanks, Ken

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,036 Posts
The only thing I can think of is check your battery.
I didnt have the message show up but had a similar problem
I installed a new battery and all has been lots of Fassst Fun!

Linda :)

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,439 Posts
I just literally read a post same issue. Let me see if I can link it here.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Issue is different, I don't loose throttle. Mine stumbles sometimes coming to a quick stop which is triggering the message I get. He says his throttle went dead again at 80mph.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,057 Posts
Could be a vacuum leak? I had a Toyota that did that and my wife took it to the dealer for an oil change. Of course they talked her into an air filter and she came home complaining it wasn’t acting right at a stop and almost stalling. I found a vacuum hose had come off when they took the top of the air box loose to replace the air filter. Never did it again. No more Toyota’s either!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,882 Posts
I have a 2017 Challenger Hellcat and recently started having a weird issue. Lately when I have to come to a quick stop I've noticed my idle drops down to almost stalling before it catches itself (It never actually stalls) when that happens it's triggering a message that says "Shift to Park and select gear". I do that and it's fine. I'm not sure where to start looking. I was tuned by OST and it's always been spot on and I've never had an issue. I'm thinking Idle air control or trans not down shifting quick enough to keep the RPM's up. Any help would be great, I really don't want to go to the dealer if I don't have to. I've also emailed OST thinking they may have come across this before. Again, any help would be great.. Thanks, Ken
There are two things to consider. One is the engine speed drops because the transmission is slow to select the next gear. It is not clear from your post that this is happening. But if it is that suggests a transmission problem. (Or a transmission controller problem.)

If the engine speed is dropping on its own during a quick stop that could be a vacuum leak that is inconsequential at higher engine speeds but at low engine speeds affects engine fueling. The fueling becomes too lean and the engine RPMs drop but the engine controller will adapt and the engine speed recovers. One can simulate something like this by with the engine idling removing the oil filler cap which causes a big intake air leak. The engine RPMs drop and the engine runs rough. But in about as much time as it takes to read this the engine controller adapts and engine RPMs are near normal. Putting the cap back on has a smaller effect on the engine.

You need to if you can determine if the engine shifting is lagging behind. If it is that's a dealer visit.

If it not the transmission lagging behind then it is or could be an intake leak. You might be able to find/fix this on your drive way.

·
FCA Official
Challenger SRT Hellcat
221 Posts

Hello areuriding,
If you decide to have your vehicle diagnosed and you feel that additional assistance is needed, please feel free to send us a direct message. We'd be glad to help.

Lamar
DodgeCares

1 - 9 of 9 Posts