SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon cat fam. Need some help with this rust issue. It’s been like this since I got the car more of a issue for my OCD not mechanical or causing issue but what would be the best way to fix this. Thanks in advance for all help.

·
Registered
567 Posts
That's unfortunately pretty normal for any car that is basically driven. Some are worse than others.

How I would deal with it if it bugged me:
  • Take the wheel off and the rotor
  • Clean the hub up with a wire brush or wire pad
  • Paint the hub in your choice of color with high temp brake caliper paint. I wouldn't paint the part the wheel actually contacts though. Shouldn't hurt anything but I still would mask that section off. I'd probably go black to match the front rotors look
  • When you reinstall I like to put a really thin coat of anti seize grease where the wheel and rotor come in contact. This will help with corrosion as well.

The other thing you can do is replace the rotor with a Zinc plated rotor. That will help prevent the rust from showing up.

P.S. - I'm glad I'm not the only person that is OCD enough to care about that.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,313 Posts
I just did mine with POR15 in semi gloss black came out great. I also did all my front control and A arms as the car had lots of corrosion upon delivery. Lots of people complained about it. Now that I used POR15 I have no worries. If you don't know what it is just do a google search. I applied it with a 2 inch brush and the finish came out smooth with no brush marks.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Hellcat
49 Posts
Good afternoon cat fam. Need some help with this rust issue. It’s been like this since I got the car more of a issue for my OCD not mechanical or causing issue but what would be the best way to fix this. Thanks in advance for all help. View attachment 570740
There is a product called "Corroseal" which is a rust-converter. I now have a 2017 Hellcat, but recently had a 2019 Scatpack Widebody that came from the factory with the notorious "Surface rust on the front suspension". When I traded in the Scatpack for the Hellcat, that was one of the first thing I checked. Here is a before and after pic. Car had less than 1000 miles on it in these pics. Corroseal come in a bottle (got on Amazon). Pour some into a cup and use a small paintbrush and paint over rusty surfaces.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
863 Posts
Easiest way is to simply apply Fluid Film, oil like substance that dries into a thick preservative coating. No cleaning needed, just apply it when it is perfectly dry and the rust will soak it up and stop. If it has salt contamination, flush thoroughly with water and allow to fully dry 200% before applying. You don’t even have to remove the wheel.

I started to get a small bubble in the paint above the wheel openings of my 2003 Silverado. I flushed it out inside, let it dry, applied this stuff, and there has not been any change in 4 years. Many of these trucks here up north have huge holes there. This stuff stops rust. Put this on everything!

But HC owners are not usually looking for the “easy way”, so high heat paint is ok, probably won’t last as long.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
925 Posts
There is a product called "Corroseal" which is a rust-converter. I now have a 2017 Hellcat, but recently had a 2019 Scatpack Widebody that came from the factory with the notorious "Surface rust on the front suspension". When I traded in the Scatpack for the Hellcat, that was one of the first thing I checked. Here is a before and after pic. Car had less than 1000 miles on it in these pics. Corroseal come in a bottle (got on Amazon). Pour some into a cup and use a small paintbrush and paint over rusty surfaces.
View attachment 570808
View attachment 570809
So you just painted that stuff on and done? Or did you touch up the with paint after?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts