SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
301 - 320 of 328 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Hey guys,
Update on the OBD covers. I have 8 prototypes ready to ship BUT just for the Challenger. Of course the Charger is a lot different than the Challenger and is going to require more time to figure out if I can. The Challenger has preexisting holes and the Charger does not and seems to be a lot tighter space. I don't want to make a cover the requires you guys to drill into your dash to install so I might not be able to make one for it. If anyone in the northwest Ohio southeast Michigan area willing to let me look under their Charger dash it would help. Thanks to Squidvicoius and VT Engineering for helping me out with these and providing pics. You will need to get screws to mount this and after I get feedback from these 8 I should be able to provide what size and maybe even the screws themselves with the cover. These first 8 will be $30 shipped but will need feedback on cover and ease of install. View attachment 583313 View attachment 583314
Where did you get those screws?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
Update on the OBD covers. I have 8 prototypes ready to ship BUT just for the Challenger. Of course the Charger is a lot different than the Challenger and is going to require more time to figure out if I can. The Challenger has preexisting holes and the Charger does not and seems to be a lot tighter space. I don't want to make a cover the requires you guys to drill into your dash to install so I might not be able to make one for it. If anyone in the northwest Ohio southeast Michigan area willing to let me look under their Charger dash it would help. Thanks to Squidvicoius and VT Engineering for helping me out with these and providing pics. You will need to get screws to mount this and after I get feedback from these 8 I should be able to provide what size and maybe even the screws themselves with the cover. These first 8 will be $30 shipped but will need feedback on cover and ease of install.
Hi TailHappy,

I would like to buy a neutral cover for a Challenger. I'd be also interested in getting the OBD cover but my Hellcat wont arrive until next month. If that's cool I'll buy one of those too and give feedback once I install it. I just joined the forum but it won't let me PM you

Edit: It finally let me PM you. PM sent!

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Redeye
104 Posts
Anyone know the part number of these orange clips? I found one was missing from the trim panel when I installed the neutral pull cover.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Hey guys,
Update on the OBD covers. I have 8 prototypes ready to ship BUT just for the Challenger. Of course the Charger is a lot different than the Challenger and is going to require more time to figure out if I can. The Challenger has preexisting holes and the Charger does not and seems to be a lot tighter space. I don't want to make a cover the requires you guys to drill into your dash to install so I might not be able to make one for it. If anyone in the northwest Ohio southeast Michigan area willing to let me look under their Charger dash it would help. Thanks to Squidvicoius and VT Engineering for helping me out with these and providing pics. You will need to get screws to mount this and after I get feedback from these 8 I should be able to provide what size and maybe even the screws themselves with the cover. These first 8 will be $30 shipped but will need feedback on cover and ease of install. View attachment 583313 View attachment 583314
PM sent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Tailhappy I would also like to purchase one of your covers for my 21 Charger Redeye. Please message me the PayPal information. I just joined the forum and it won’t let me PM you. Thanks

Edit: it let me PM Now Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
not to rain on anyones parade, but covering your ODB does nothing to stop most thieves...no need for thieves to plug into the OBD port. Thieves exploit the Security Gateway Module by tapping in the CAN system beyond the point the SGM could block it. The vulnerabilities are rooted in the architecture of the CAN bus system...

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
not to rain on anyones parade, but covering your ODB does nothing to stop most thieves...no need for thieves to plug into the OBD port. Thieves exploit the Security Gateway Module by tapping in the CAN system beyond the point the SGM could block it. The vulnerabilities are rooted in the architecture of the CAN bus system...
TURD...............:unsure:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m looking to get the neutral pull cover so they can’t put your car neutral and roll it down the street and tow it. Any little things help with the people nowadays.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
I was told by a service adviser that they can copy the key through the star connector as well as through the OBD port. He also said they will be able to bypass the new security updates through the OBD port eventually. I'm not on here to sell a useless item so if he was wrong I will not sell these.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was told by a service adviser that they can copy the key through the star connector as well as through the OBD port. He also said they will be able to bypass the new security updates through the OBD port eventually. I'm not on here to sell a useless item so if he was wrong I will not sell these.
If thieves are programming new keys, how would they be able to get past the new security features if the key lockout was one of them? Do you think the service advisor was talking about hacking the key module (or whatever that thing that would have to be replaced is called)? I'm no IT guy, but sounds like they would have to rewrite PCM/BCM software vs just adding a new key to the system. Surely that would add more time than what they're doing today.

I'll take the service writer's comments with a grain of salt. And I stand by my point that I will do all in my power to make my car less attractive/vulnerable to theft, even with all the people who are quick to point out how a method is vulnerable.

Thanks again TailHappy for watching out for the community. If you end up making an OBDII port cover, you'll have a return customer. I've got one of those AutoCyb covers, but somewhere on this forum or another, one member's car was broken into and the thief just ripped off the AutoCyb cover. So definitely open to whatever you come up with for OBD and/or STAR connectors.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I hope my order is in the mail......I believe any kind of deterent to slow the criminal down, even a club on the steering wheel, just to make the average criminal walk past the car;)

·
Premium Member
2021 Challenger Super Stock
238 Posts
Where did you get those screws?

If you order those you will have to drill the holes under you dash bigger to fit the riv-nut. I was really easy to do however. I just stepped the hole up with a uni-bit until the riv-nut fit. Worst part was trying to fit the riv-nut gun under the dash.

·
Premium Member
2021 Challenger Super Stock
238 Posts
I think we all know there is no single solution to stop car theft. If there was we would all be using it. I have taken several steps in an attempt to slow down a would be thief, even though when its not in my garage it is rarely out of my sight. I applaud @TailHappy for trying to help the community. I have both the OBD and the neutral pull cover installed on my car. Though neither would 100% stop a theft, it buys time....maybe enough time to interrupt someone from taking my car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
When I made the first cover for my car that was my intention....to hopefully cost the thief enough time to just walk away. I would guess the majority of thieves trying to get these cars are amateurs,novice at best,and when they come across something that keeps them in the car longer they will get spooked and bail.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
I have sold the 8 OBD covers. I will wait for feedback on those and if anymore of you guys want one before or if I'll make more. Basically I'll go by what you guys think on if I'll make anymore. As for the neutral pull covers I have plenty for both cars if anyone is still interested.

301 - 320 of 328 Posts