SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on here and I know nothing about these cars, so please don't flame me too much for my lack of knowledge.

What is the point of the neutral release? Why would someone want to even keep this function given it's clear and present danger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding @Blickie

How often do these cars get into a situation where use of neutral release is required?
If the reason for the existence of this function is to mitigate recovery in the situation the battery is done - wouldn't it be better to just have a jump box rather than a theft risk?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,988 Posts
Thank you for responding @Blickie

How often do these cars get into a situation where use of neutral release is required?
If the reason for the existence of this function is to mitigate recovery in the situation the battery is done - wouldn't it be better to just have a jump box rather than a theft risk?
When you get towed you need the release. Now if the driver can lift the car enough to disconnect it from the side of the transmission from underneath, then you don't need it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
My fuel pump module went out on my "19 Challenger Hellcat at 5000 miles and had to get a tow to the dealer. Found out I was out of gas due to the module telling the tank it had gas. When the tow driver got there he (we) couldn't get it in neutral. He said it's happened before and he open up the tray and released it so he could get my car on the flatbed. It was, however, a ***** to get it back down flat enough to clear the tray.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I was to be towed, couldn't I just turn the car on and put it in neutral? Does the neutral release do something different? (sorry @GOING TO HELL 19 I was writing this while you posted your experience)

It just seems to me that this function poses a very high risk to these cars and figuring out literally any other way of making them towable has to be better than leaving this function on the car.

I saw that there is a plate that can be installed (and looks like it would lower the risk) - but the function is still there.

These are just questions, so I appreciate everyone entertaining my ignorance.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,988 Posts
Yes, if your car engine is able to be started then you could just start it up and let it idle in neutral until he winches it up then shut it down.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
760 Posts
If I was to be towed, couldn't I just turn the car on and put it in neutral? Does the neutral release do something different? (sorry @GOING TO HELL 19 I was writing this while you posted your experience)

It just seems to me that this function poses a very high risk to these cars and figuring out literally any other way of making them towable has to be better than leaving this function on the car.

I saw that there is a plate that can be installed (and looks like it would lower the risk) - but the function is still there.

These are just questions, so I appreciate everyone entertaining my ignorance.
These cars are "Shift-by-Wire" and the engine has to be running & then the computers talk to one another and allow the shifter to work. If for any reason the engine won't run, then the only way to load the vehicle on a flatbed is the Manual Release. It's also a good idea to know how to use it should it ever be needed so it doesn't get broken and needing replacement. The Manual Release has two locks; one that holds the lever down and one that holds the lever up. Put a flat pocket screwdriver in your center console should you need it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,037 Posts
Fair warning: the same gorilla that did the factory oil filter installs pressed that coin tray in..might wanna get a jump on it before actually needing it lol

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,866 Posts
I use mine to move my car around on my park lift.
I did relocate mine when I had the console out, tough to find and takes some bending and laying down to locate and use.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,866 Posts
My fuel pump module went out on my "19 Challenger Hellcat at 5000 miles and had to get a tow to the dealer. Found out I was out of gas due to the module telling the tank it had gas. When the tow driver got there he (we) couldn't get it in neutral. He said it's happened before and he open up the tray and released it so he could get my car on the flatbed. It was, however, a * to get it back down flat enough to clear the tray.
There is a metal tab on it that needs to be bent back into place after use or it will not sit back down all the way.

Reactions: Bill the 'cat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,988 Posts
OK, Owner's Manual time again, here's the procedure from your Manual.

Please read and become familiar with doing this the correct way before letting yourself or anybody go yanking on the tether and screw something up.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,542 Posts
I broke that tab the first time I was winching my car onto my trailer. 🥺

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,037 Posts
I use mine to move my car around on my park lift.
I did relocate mine when I had the console out, tough to find and takes some bending and laying down to locate and use.
A little foggy, what did you do to it?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,866 Posts
I relocated the lever and entire mechanism. I did it to another hellcat also, and drilled a hole through it, we locked it with a trailer pin lock.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,037 Posts
I relocated the lever and entire mechanism. I did it to another hellcat also, and drilled a hole through it, we locked it with a trailer pin lock.
Hmmm, where did you end up moving to? I’m interested

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,866 Posts
You can move it anywhere under the dash, either side, and remount it on a bolt. There is alot of cable. The metal dash framing is ideal. I found a spot that I could use both bolt holes so it is mounted well. Again, we did one on my employee's 392 and we also installed a trailer pin lock, so even if you found it, you need to remove the lock for it to function.
You only need to pull down the under dashlight panel, held in by two christmas trees.
6834774.jpg

Reactions: Slidd

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
652 Posts
Now THIS is a fantastic idea and something FCA should be doing instead of that useless Uconnect update.....

Even if a thief gets in your car, they will have a hard time putting it into neutral

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,037 Posts
You can move it anywhere under the dash, either side, and remount it on a bolt. There is alot of cable. The metal dash framing is ideal. I found a spot that I could use both bolt holes so it is mounted well. Again, we did one on my employee's 392 and we also installed a trailer pin lock, so even if you found it, you need to remove the lock for it to function.
You only need to pull down the under dashlight panel, held in by two christmas trees.
View attachment 571198
Nicely done

1 - 20 of 26 Posts