SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 22 years old currently looking to upgrade from an SXT in a few months. I am considering either a new widebody scat or a used hellcat. What would be my best option? How much have maintenance costs been for you yearly? Are gas costs as bad as some people make it seem? Should I buy a scat and pay it off and possibly upgrade to whatever replaces the hellcat in the future or should I experience the hellcat now and upgrade to whatever later on? So far I have created a budget on everything and hellcat will be a little more expensive in terms of payment and insurance but not by much. My biggest concern is just maintenance costs for the hellcat. Especially with it being a used hellcat. Has your hellcat added a lot more costs than when you owned a 392? (For previous 392 owners)

I know that as soon as I buy the scat.. a few months will go by and I will want the hellcat all over again. Is it worth it to just buy the cat and skip the drivers remorse?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just in need of some opinions!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
75 Posts
I am 22 years old currently looking to upgrade from an SXT in a few months. I am considering either a new widebody scat or a used hellcat. What would be my best option? How much have maintenance costs been for you yearly? Are gas costs as bad as some people make it seem? Should I buy a scat and pay it off and possibly upgrade to whatever replaces the hellcat in the future or should I experience the hellcat now and upgrade to whatever later on? So far I have created a budget on everything and hellcat will be a little more expensive in terms of payment and insurance but not by much. My biggest concern is just maintenance costs for the hellcat. Especially with it being a used hellcat. Has your hellcat added a lot more costs than when you owned a 392? (For previous 392 owners)

I know that as soon as I buy the scat.. a few months will go by and I will want the hellcat all over again. Is it worth it to just buy the cat and skip the drivers remorse?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just in need of some opinions!
First thing I would do is find a vin similar to the car you want and give it to your insurance to see what the premiums will be. I have a scat pack now pay around 800 for 6 months 100/300 coverage with low deductible. If I was to buy a hellcat my premium would double to 1500 for 6 months and I’m 29. Insurance is a huge factor. Going from a scat to a hellcat is not much of an increase in gas, they both suck. Maintenance cost is roughly the same as well. Especially for me with the hellcat rims and 6 piston brakes. Oil changes are the same. Really the only difference is the insurance,
And obviously the horsepower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you’re asking about the cost of fuel, neither of these cars are for you. But my vote would be the Hellcat.
R.K.
I’m asking because I have a set budget for fuel costs! I’m ok with dropping 370 a month on fuel but not really wanting to drop more than that on fuel. Gas prices here in Houston are also pretty cheap. 2.89 is the highest while 2.54 is the lowest for premium.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thing I would do is find a vin similar to the car you want and give it to your insurance to see what the premiums will be. I have a scat pack now pay around 800 for 6 months 100/300 coverage with low deductible. If I was to buy a hellcat my premium would double to 1500 for 6 months and I’m 29. Insurance is a huge factor. Going from a scat to a hellcat is not much of an increase in gas, they both suck. Maintenance cost is roughly the same as well. Especially for me with the hellcat rims and 6 piston brakes. Oil changes are the same. Really the only difference is the insurance,
And obviously the horsepower.
I’ve ran a few insurance quotes with my provider and insurance for me would be around $479 monthly in a 16 cat. $350 in a 19 scat.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
75 Posts
I’m asking because I have a set budget for fuel costs! I’m ok with dropping 370 a month on fuel but not really wanting to drop more than that on fuel. Gas prices here in Houston are also pretty cheap. 2.89 is the highest while 2.54 is the lowest for premium.
I easily spend 300 a month on fuel alone, 3.00 gal premium

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
75 Posts
I’ve ran a few insurance quotes with my provider and insurance for me would be around $479 monthly in a 16 cat. $350 in a 19 scat.
479 a month ???? Dude are you crazy lol..That’s insane.. wait until your 25 and insurance goes down.. I thought 1500 for 6 months was bad.. the cars aren’t going anywhere don’t piss away almost 6k a yr in just insurance

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
75 Posts
Insurance is the biggest rip off in the world..
It’s not a matter if you can afford it but think
You will pay 6k a year for insurance.. keep the car 3 yrs and that’s 18k.. keep that money and invest it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will pay 6k a year for insurance.. keep the car 3 yrs and that’s 18k.. keep that money and invest it.
I agree on insurance being the biggest scam especially when you’ve never been in an accident.

Appreciate your advice! Will give some thought!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually it is only 378 for a 16 hellcat. It’s still a lot though!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,161 Posts
Pass on the Hellcat until you get your insurance rates in check. I pay about 100 per month for my Hellcat. No way I would own this car for 430 per month on insurance. That’s exotic car territory.
R.K.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
75 Posts
Pass on the Hellcat until you get your insurance rates in check. I pay about 100 per month for my Hellcat. No way I would own this car for 430 per month on insurance. That’s exotic car territory.
R.K.
100 a month is great.. I wish I could pay that lol.. but I agree 400 month is INSANE

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,477 Posts
There is no fuel increase with the Hellcat that Ive noticed going from my 392 to my Hellcat.
You will 100% wish you had bought a Hellcat after a couple of months of replying “no, this isn’t a Hellcat” at every other red light to the car next to you.
I would gladly pay $100/mo more just to not have buyers remorse and then take a hit on my brand new car depreciation on top of it when I undoubtably traded it in for a Hellcat after. The used Hellcat has taken the hit already and it’s depreciation will now be MUCH slower. Ask me how I know...
Hellcat ftw.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7 Posts
Also remember with a new hallcat there is a $1700 gas guzzler tax. Look for a used cat and save the money, you get nothing for a gas guzzler tax. Buy a 392 scat pack with auto trans and no gas guzzler tax. Just my 2 cents.. After all its your money... Mike GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
51 Posts
Shop around on the insurance. Might find better. As far as the cars go- either way everything is pretty much the same cost. You just get way more power with the cat. Don't even bother getting the scat unless you want to lose your ass when it's time to trade it in.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
507 Posts
I think it all comes down to 2 things finance and experience. I got my hc at 23 (albeit a lease) 1. can you afford essentially dropping $1200-$1300 a month on a car, if you are only taking home 5-6k a month after taxes that would be a hard no. Rule of thumb is less than 10% of take home.

Next thing I would caution you is the car is truly a beast and you have to respect it as such, there quite a few stories on Google of young 20 year olds getting hurt and/or wrecking their hc. I have driven fast cars since I was 16 and by fast I mean diablo's, amg's, M cars, Porsche turbo cars, etc etc and even I did some sh*t I would never even think about now. But if you jump from something like a honda accord to this then you should be very very careful, this car is easy to drive but can get very out of control very quickly.

Just some food for thought, ultimately only you can make a decision but you will get good advice here to hopefully make a good decision.

·
Registered
170 Posts
@jrod97 The funny thing about most of your questions is that most of them are personal wants a preference. I have owned a scat pack and now a hellcat. I like the cat more as the base platform for a hellcat in my case was a better starting point.

For fuel consumption, once you start modding either modle you'll use more fuel. It then becomes a question of what end goals are again. No magic answer from anyone is going to fix that for you. I would say find someone with a hellcat and get them to take you for a ride. I think if you can find a good deal on one thats not been dogged out, I would get the hellcat. In my case, the insurance cost would be a consideration. However, I do not think the cost is much different between the two models.

In either case, once you get into modifying the car, regardless of which model you go with, nothing for these mopars is cheap. The after market for a ford or chevy is just bigger. Lots more parts on places like ebay and craigslist for a ford or chevy than a mopar. Thats been my experience at least.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
32 Posts
I'd say DON'T...BUT, THEN...

Don't...If your insurance is almost $400/mo that is a lot-you better off invest that plus the monthly for the buy into a mutual fund and after 3 years if you still WANT a Hellcat you'd have a lot of savings to pull and buy (I'd advise to lease instead-cheaper monthly)
If you lease-you would have lower monthly than buying, if your credit is in decent shape...you probably won't find the $500/mo anymore but you can still get $650-700 deals.
Remember-if it depreciates, LEASE it ;)

But...do ask yourself if a Hellcat or any car is really worth it whether buying or leasing??? Everyones situation is different, for the last 20 years I have had a monthly car(s) payment(s) of at least $400/mo to $900/mo, and that's a lot of $$$ not in my savings :oops: I was still managing to save but that $400-$900 was not...

Then...we all WANT to splurge, so if the shoe fits-go for it-one life to live

BTW my 2017 will be available after my lease end in Feb 2021 ($40,000 is buy out) if you still haven't gotten any let me know and I can do a pass through a dealership to you...just sayin' also-will have low miles too, way below the leased amount and never abused

1 - 20 of 45 Posts