SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Brand new to this forum. Yesterday I bought a brand new 2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody. I’ve only put about 200 miles on it, driving it as recommended until the 300 mile break in. I noticed after probably the first 30 miles, and constantly since, there is a noise that sounds like a knocking or exhaust leak/vibration. You can hear it loud with the windows up at idle. Almost like a resonating thump/knock. Sounds like it is coming from under the passenger seat or even further back. Its not the “hemi tick” sorta sound either. You cannot hear it outside the vehicle at all. Even next to a wall, under the hood, under the fender welds, laying under the car, etc. Only inside the vehicle at idle. Goes away above idle speed. Any thoughts guys? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Take your Hellcat to the dealership and have them look at it. Just make sure they find out where the noise is coming from. They'll tell you that it's all in your head, and but don't believe. You a lot of money for your car so have a dealership look at it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For sure you need to have it looked at. I have about 400 miles on my new Hellcat and right now I have the HEMI tic going on, but this is now the 8th modern HEMI we have owned I know what I am hearing so I am not concerned

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Im definitely taking it in to the dealer, just curious if any others have had this. Thanks.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,888 Posts
Hello all. Brand new to this forum. Yesterday I bought a brand new 2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody. I’ve only put about 200 miles on it, driving it as recommended until the 300 mile break in. I noticed after probably the first 30 miles, and constantly since, there is a noise that sounds like a knocking or exhaust leak/vibration. You can hear it loud with the windows up at idle. Almost like a resonating thump/knock. Sounds like it is coming from under the passenger seat or even further back. Its not the “hemi tick” sorta sound either. You cannot hear it outside the vehicle at all. Even next to a wall, under the hood, under the fender welds, laying under the car, etc. Only inside the vehicle at idle. Goes away above idle speed. Any thoughts guys? Thanks in advance.
If the noise is tied only to the engine it could be a loose or damaged engine mount. Could be a loose exhaust system component.

A bad/deformed accessory drive belt. Or something wrong with the accessory drive system. Or the supercharger drive system.

My advice is a repeat of what others have said. New car. New car warranty. Take the car in and have this looked into. Chances are the tech has encountered this before and knows what's going on.

·
Registered
In The Market
3,418 Posts
It's totally normal. It's the fuel pumps. My Demon and all my Friends Demons did this and there have been threads on this a few times in the past. You will get used to it. To me it always sounded like a ticking sound and the instant I touch the accelerator it goes away. Think of where you hear the noise and where the fuel pumps are. It will make sense.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,389 Posts
Yeah it’s normal. Super loud with the rear seats out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hopefully your experience with the dealership is a good one. I haven't had good experience from any dealership the day I brought the Hellcat Challenger that I have. The day I brought the car when I was driving it to my house the car started vibrating and all 4 wheels were wobbling. I drove it right back to the dealership and they test drove it and saw what I was talking about. They pulled all 4 wheels off the car and check everything but found nothing. They concluded that the tires have flat spots on them. They said that if I drive the car more and get the tires to heat up the flat spots will go away. Well they didn't go away even after 1500 miles on the wheels. I called the dealership up and told them that the flat spots didn't go away and now what I'm supposed to do? They wanted me to drive back to Horsham, Pennsylvania almost 8 hrs drive for me for them to take the wheels off and put another 4 wheels and tires from another hellcat challenger ?. I told them I can't do that! Can't I just take the car to a local dealership and have them look at it? Not for the tires they said. Well I found out that they're right because no dealership locally would even look at wheels because tires are not under warranty from the manufacturer, but only the dealership would warrant the tires. Finally I got the dealership to pay me for new tires. Took the hellcat to a local dealership and had new tires put on. They used the Road Force balancer. Drove the car home at 145 to see if the vibration and wobbles were gone, but no it didn't go away. Yesterday I wanted to go for a drive in the car and check engine light came on. When the light came on I quickly lost power. I drove the car to auto part store to get it checked out. The car has 2 codes PO18C. Join the forum and found out that it could be my fuel rails are going back or a bad sensor. ? I don't want to go back to the dealership because I've never had a good experience with them. I'm driving a 680000 car that has been a horrible experience from the beginning. Now that this virus is here people are afraid! I just don't know what I'm going to do. I wish that I was making this up but I'm not. I've owned dodge brand car for a long time now, I need some help or support for me not switch to another brand. Enjoy your day!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,158 Posts
Nothing new! There have been AT LEAST two or three other threads on this on two different forums. Nearly every new RE owner has posted up about it. I heard it the first time I started mine. After driving a HC 20,000 miles previously, it was an easy noise that was different.

@dragrcr thanks for being the first I have seen post up the cause of it and that makes perfect sense now. If I could give you a dozen trophies I would. I'll go to your "other" great thread and do it.

You guys who hate your dealers should move on to other places, there are good dealers out there who actually enjoy working with some of us.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. That does make sense. Doesnt bother me as much now. Just got my 300 break in miles in, and it started pouring rain. Im pretty impressed with the new widebody. It handles pretty sure footedly in the rain even at mid throttle. Very predictable. Really enjoying this car so far.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Agree on the fuel pumps causing the ticking. My 2016 HC didn't have the ticking like my RE. My RE has done it since the first start up and I just got used to it, totally normal

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,326 Posts
Hopefully your experience with the dealership is a good one. I haven't had good experience from any dealership the day I brought the Hellcat Challenger that I have. The day I brought the car when I was driving it to my house the car started vibrating and all 4 wheels were wobbling. I drove it right back to the dealership and they test drove it and saw what I was talking about. They pulled all 4 wheels off the car and check everything but found nothing. They concluded that the tires have flat spots on them. They said that if I drive the car more and get the tires to heat up the flat spots will go away. Well they didn't go away even after 1500 miles on the wheels. I called the dealership up and told them that the flat spots didn't go away and now what I'm supposed to do? They wanted me to drive back to Horsham, Pennsylvania almost 8 hrs drive for me for them to take the wheels off and put another 4 wheels and tires from another hellcat challenger ?. I told them I can't do that! Can't I just take the car to a local dealership and have them look at it? Not for the tires they said. Well I found out that they're right because no dealership locally would even look at wheels because tires are not under warranty from the manufacturer, but only the dealership would warrant the tires. Finally I got the dealership to pay me for new tires. Took the hellcat to a local dealership and had new tires put on. They used the Road Force balancer. Drove the car home at 145 to see if the vibration and wobbles were gone, but no it didn't go away. Yesterday I wanted to go for a drive in the car and check engine light came on. When the light came on I quickly lost power. I drove the car to auto part store to get it checked out. The car has 2 codes PO18C. Join the forum and found out that it could be my fuel rails are going back or a bad sensor. ? I don't want to go back to the dealership because I've never had a good experience with them. I'm driving a 680000 car that has been a horrible experience from the beginning. Now that this virus is here people are afraid! I just don't know what I'm going to do. I wish that I was making this up but I'm not. I've owned dodge brand car for a long time now, I need some help or support for me not switch to another brand. Enjoy your day!
Do a search for a member named Blickie. He has multiple posts on how to correctly balance your wheels. Road Force alone is not the answer.
You have a warranty on the engine light. Use it or forever hold your peace. Use a different dealer if you have to. The 19 year old kid at Auto Zone is not going to fix your car.
Sitting around in fear of a bad service dept is not going to fix your car either.

Reactions: dragrcr

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,655 Posts
Looks like you found the answer, otherwise I'd ask if the ticking changes with either engine RPM or road speed.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,326 Posts
So the dual pumps are that much louder? Good to know. When I get a RE I’ll be prepared lol.

Reactions: dragrcr

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
241 Posts
I'm honestly going to have to make a conscious effort to listen for this knocking sound you all are talking about next time I drive my RE. Hopefully tomorrow. I have had 2 Hellcats and now my RE and I don't hear what is being described here. Maybe the tinnitus is blocking this all out for me, lol. I won't worry about it but now you all have me curious ?. I feel like I'm missing something!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts