SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I custom ordered a charger hellcat in November and it’s expected to be arriving at the dealer next month. Can a dealership mark up my custom order? I put a pic up of what I signed. Put the money down to order and was approved and everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,774 Posts
1. Don't expect it next month, they haven't even started building 2022 and the plant isn't even working.
2. Could they? Yes. Nothing is official paperwork until the car is built, statement of origin, on the ground at the dealer, and you are signing and driving the car away. They would have to give back your down payment if you don't accept.
3. At this point, don't worry, it won't help. Chances are you are OK unless you've heard other information about your dealer.

Reactions: WVHEMIS

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,777 Posts
Unless you have a legally binding signed agreement to purchase the car at some price -- and typically dealers won't write these as they like to keep their options open -- the dealer might mark up the car's price. That you ordered the car as you want it and clearly this is an indication you really want the car, the dealer can sense more money is on the table. And he can use your desire for the car as a lever to pry more money from you.

If the dealer does raise the car's price you can decide to pay the higher price, make a counter offer at a lower price, or walk. If you walk you need to first be clear how/when you get your deposit back. If you walk the dealer can then find a buyer who'll pay the higher price.

This buyer may not show up so keep an eye on the car. If it doesn't sell you could return to the dealer and offer to buy the car at a price lower than what the dealer wanted after the car arrived. IOWs at the price at the time you put in the order for the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, I went today to talk to my rep and I asked if that was the final price and they said yes and I also asked if there was gonna be a mark up and they said absolutely not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most dealers in my experience don't sell Over MSRP, you just hear about all the dealers that do online so it seems like a rampant problem.

Reactions: Slowpoke387

·
Registered
‘22 Smokeshow Challenger HCWB ordered 12/12/21
31 Posts
Everything car i have ever looked at has had some sort of mark up ranging from 7-40k. I’m in Orange County, CA. I was genuinely shocked when I found out you can buy a car at sticker price, and even more when I was told I was going to pay 5% below MSRP lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
so you put money down on a car that doesn't exist? I'm not talking about a deposit but actual money down? Just a stab in the dark here, but wouldn't it be smarter to put said money in lets say a high yield saving account and let it sit for a few months? Or something along those lines? What would happen to your money if the dealership closes its doors one day? Those things do happen

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,227 Posts
Most dealers in my experience don't sell Over MSRP, you just hear about all the dealers that do online so it seems like a rampant problem.
In my experience they usually stick to their word but when I ordered my Demon any sense of customer loyalty and integrity went out the window. I bought from a new dealer and that has been a fantastic relationship ever since. The stereotype on dealerships has certainly been earned but likely from a smaller percentage of them vs all of them. In fact I’ve seen stories on this forum about people getting the bait and switch. I like to get my deals in writing or at the very least have the numbers sent by them to me via email. Anything that can be referred back to.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Everything car i have ever looked at has had some sort of mark up ranging from 7-40k. I’m in Orange County, CA. I was genuinely shocked when I found out you can buy a car at sticker price, and even more when I was told I was going to pay 5% below MSRP lol
5% under MSRP isn't as good as 3% under invoice - from a San Diego dealer. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so you put money down on a car that doesn't exist? I'm not talking about a deposit but actual money down? Just a stab in the dark here, but wouldn't it be smarter to put said money in lets say a high yield saving account and let it sit for a few months? Or something along those lines? What would happen to your money if the dealership closes its doors one day? Those things do happen
Only put 500 to get it built

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some local dealerships I talked to charge $5k “market adjustment” on factory order hellcats and $25k for one (2021) that’s already on the lot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts