SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking, basically a 10 or 12 cylinder Hemi.

A V8 in a Viper is just inappropriate. Who wants a supercar with an engine from a truck/grocery getter/ whatever?

It's not about cheap horsepower. It's about cachet. For the price of a Viper, one expects a certain amount of exclusivity. Putting a blown Hemi in it is just lazy.

Ferrari and Alfa Romeo can chip in with some design work to produce a nice, big 10 liter V10 that can run at 1100RPM max to satisfy emissions regs, but lo and behold, somehow some CRAZY people manage to unlock it with an aftermarket mod that allows it to spin to 7000... etc.

Anyway, who thinks an extended-Hemi architecture or 10 or 12 cylinders would be more apropos than the old truck engine they had, or even the new V8?

·
Registered
82 Posts

A V8 in a Viper is just inappropriate. Who wants a supercar with an engine from a truck/grocery getter/ whatever?

It's not about cheap horsepower. It's about cachet. For the price of a Viper, one expects a certain amount of exclusivity. Putting a blown Hemi in it is just lazy.

Ferrari and Alfa Romeo can chip in with some design work to produce a nice, big 10 liter V10 that can run at 1100RPM max to satisfy emissions regs, but lo and behold, somehow some CRAZY people manage to unlock it with an aftermarket mod that allows it to spin to 7000... etc.

Anyway, who thinks an extended-Hemi architecture or 10 or 12 cylinders would be more apropos than the old truck engine they had, or even the new V8?
You know they had V10's right?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
127 Posts
V10s which were not truck engines. The Viper ACR was perfect when they ceased production. Perfect. How about an ACR Challenger. That would be more feasable

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,466 Posts
V16 Hellcat...two Hellcat engines with the cranks connected in series more or less....BWAHAHAHAHA!

And in true Viper fashion, no traction control. You'd need a subscription for rear tires!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
142 Posts
I had 95 and 04 vipers,would need v-10or v-12,way too cool when you pop the hood and make big horsepower without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
28 Posts
I personally think they should make new Vipers with 3 engine configurations. One with a 392, 1 with a hellcat (possibly a red eye too) and finally a new v10.

The 392 (possibly tuned to make 550hp) would be fast in a lightweight viper.
This will be the running about 70k

Then the obligatory “hellcat everything” (707 or 797hp or both)
This can run in the 100K range

Then a new v10 putting out 1000hp
This will be the halo running 150k range

This will put the Viper back into comp with the Vette again, and can satisfy most people by having a Viper in multiple price ranges.

Add some new software in them to add some new features and tricks and I would buy one quick fast and in a hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V10s which were not truck engines. The Viper ACR was perfect when they ceased production. Perfect. How about an ACR Challenger. That would be more feasable
sigh the V10 was very loosely based on the 360, which was a truck engine. Also, the V10 was available in the pickups at some point, but with an iron block, which makes it a truck engine. It's not a sophisticated engine by any means, having a 90 degree cylinder bank angle because they already had decades-old already-paid-for tooling that they could use to make the engine if it had a 90 degree cylinder bank angle, and that is an almost direct quote from a Dodge official.

As I said, a V10 or a V12 for the upcoming Viper. Which one to choose. I would go with a 60 degree V12 or a 72 degree V10, but with monstrous cubes. Another approach to stealthing the thing under the EPA's hateful nose is to give it a stock stroke of about 1.5 inches, and a matching camshaft. Then, voila, the second one drives it off the lot, it is intercepted by thugs who viciously install a 3.5-inch stroke crank, with matching pistons and cam before allowing it to proceed, oh, and PCM replacement. Those envirothugs!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
489 Posts
The OP never implied the Viper ever had a truck engine...he was saying the 'new' Viper should not have one.

What I would expect FCA to do is simple....introduce a new Viper with a V-12 or V-16 of about 600 cubic inches and 2000HP. It'll be as nasty as God allows and gorgeous, too. Then, 6 months after everyone has bled all over the dealer's lot to get one, they will introduce a few options which allows the average person to buy one at about 1/5 the price: 4 cyl Turbo @ 200HP, CV trans, 4 doors.

Most of the buyers will be Scat Pack widebody owners....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,602 Posts
Aluminum mid-engine V8 for me. C8 hit it out of the park and think Dodge should follow suit. After all, these will be a track focus car so balance and good handling will be key. Just dreaming of course :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not sure but I think block height would be a issue with anyting other than the v10. No, I did not go pull up deck hieght specs or anything. But, just from looking at my cat, seems the block is higher. kinda like how some truck blocks used to be a little bit taller long ago ( I think ). Anyways, I have really been wanting one of the Vipers. I say beef up the v10 and add some freedom eagle a** and leg room in the cockpit.

Such sick looking cars.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hemi has larger heads compared to the other modern push-rod small blocks out there, although due to this fact the exhaust port angle and thus exhaust manifolds don't stick out as far like on a LS/LT. The size of the short block isn't that much bigger compared to a LS. Due to the exhaust port angle on the LS you can't really fit it much easier than you would any other marginally technically larger small block engine from either Ford/Chrysler. Which, by the way, I specifically mention Ford in the mix because the new 7.3l pushrod V8 from Ford is amazing.

You could easily fit any small block type V8 where the Viper V10 went.

There is nothing wrong with the Viper V10, but at this point it's a dead architecture. The only way we would have seen another Viper is if FCA still had Ferrari and we could have potentially gotten a Viper with some Ferrari based engine. Which would have been a fun evolution given the Viper's Chrysler/Lamborghini acquisition roots.

All of that being said, a pushrod small block isn't ideal for a car like the Viper. The Viper's character is more of that of an actual racecar, and would do better with a somewhat less torquey w/ higher peak naturally aspirated engine. This is where FCA's prior ownership of Ferrari and getting a nice high revving V8 would have been great, not to mention the potential of just saving money and using a Ferrari platform to modify to base a ground-up new Viper on anyways.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
127 Posts
The Viper ceased production in 2017 and kicked everyone's ass. A drivers car. I don't want to see a new Viper unless it's still the same platform. Its a true drivers car. I drove a 2016ACR. It ruined me for all other cars. Fiat can't built a Viper. Its done. Its a car that only the best drivers can handle and win.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
114 Posts

Here's a way to keep it exclusive and keep the cost down. Put an aluminum blocked Hemi in it. They could sell it with the internals forged (for when Guys start modding them and you know that they will mod them), keep the same heads which flow well already and then possibly offer it with either N/A or F/I options.

This isn't going to be a popular statement, but offer it with an automatic trans too. You'd sell more of them.

I'll use the C8 as an example, in that they went to the DCT trans and are selling them quicker than they can make them. There are Guys that WERE manual lovers, but bought the C8 and have come around because of how well it performs. Another example is the 2020 Ford GT 500, which is also a Beast of a car!

I've driven a 2017 Viper at the Dodge SRT experience (when we bought our SRT 392) and they are fast, but could be quicker with an automatic (especially if they added some type of F/I because it wouldn't lose boost between gears).

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
1,368 Posts
Judging by the "success" of the last Viper we wont be seeing one with a V10...V12...or any other engine more than 8 cylinders...

They need to actually sell next time....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
94 Posts
Hellephant engine but twin turbos instead of pd blower. Oh and definitely a sequential trans, but a manual would be a blast👍.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts